• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[done] Split: Bill Ross (#2520) from William Ross (#107946)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4kidsidentifier

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Recently, Bill Ross (person#2520) (AD Vision voice actor) was merged into William Ross (person#107946) (founder of Frontier Enterprises). This should not have happened.

I feel that I am particularly to blame for the "activation energy" that resulted in this merge. An error report I made to try to get William off of Bill in the sole instance that William went by "Bill" was intended to remove that entry and any source of potential confusion between the two. This was done in tandem with a replacement entry I made for William. I realize now that the wording in the beginning of my error report ("This 'Bill Ross' is William James Ross (1923-2014)
(animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=107946)") can be construed as saying they're the same person [and not two completely different people] despite how the rest of it read, especially if the Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 and Gasaraki roles that were carried over with Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp were to be overlooked.

And so, I am here to try and make amends, correct my mistakes, and hopefully resolve this matter once and for all.

To that end, I have found who I believe to be the AD Vision Bill Ross. His resume and LinkedIn both mention him as being based in Houston and having skills in voiceover, but neither mentions any ties to AD Vision. Fortunately, the "Bill Ross Audio Demo (Audio Tracks)" video from his resume (under the "media" tab) is able to help identify his voice. His southern accent is comparable to the Interviewer from episode 8 of Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 (role credited to Bill Ross); he appears at about 1:55 and again at about 13:30 into the episode. Compare this to William Ross, whose approach to narration makes him out to be not unlike Dave Mallow (to use a more modern example).

Lastly, the YouTube profile for the very same Bill (verifiable via details gathered from the downloadable resume from his Stage 32 profile) has videos made as recent as this past April, whereas William passed away roughly 4 years prior.

Once again, I apologize for any influence I might have had on giving the impression that a merge needed to happen. It was absolutely not my intent for the report to facilitate or otherwise be a condition for such a process.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I've unmerged Bill from William, but to avoid future confusion in case the late William Ross was credited as "Bill Ross" in other titles, I've split that name.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1