• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Izetta: The Last Witch BD/DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
I feel that before Izetta started airing it was too hyped, and as a result there was disappointment with this show. I personally was never that seduced by the hype and was cool with Izetta just being a solid, not great, series with a few highlights and some dull moments.

I would recommend this show to any fan of historical anime and action/adventure.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
This was one of my favorite series of 2016 because of that historical fiction angle, but I couldn't bring myself to place it among the best series of 2016 and Nick encapsulates quite well why I couldn't. Disappointing to hear about Izetta's dub performance, as I was planning to rewatch this one dubbed at some point over the summer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the yuri-pandering in this series?

Fine was a decent character, Izetta not so much. I'd give it some type of C grade myself.

Izetta can't hold a candle to Princess Principal. If you're looking for a series with cute girls in a faux-historical story, watch that instead.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
This was one of my favorite series of 2016 because of that historical fiction angle, but I couldn't bring myself to place it among the best series of 2016 and Nick encapsulates quite well why I couldn't. Disappointing to hear about Izetta's dub performance, as I was planning to rewatch this one dubbed at some point over the summer.

There never seemed to be any problems with the dub when I watched the first 4 or so episodes. What made me stop watching was the stupid pie episode. They had slowly been veering off course from the shows premise doing silly things up until the point but that pie episode just took the cake.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Izetta's dub performance can't really be that bad.

Lord Vaultman wrote:
They had slowly been veering off course from the shows premise doing silly things up until the point but that pie episode just took the cake.

Even if the episode wasn't the creme de la creme, at least you weren't sugarcoating it. Gah, I'm making myself hungry with these dessert puns. XD
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I really wanted to see the premise of magic vs science the show was setting up, as the Germanians thought of increasingly complex plans with more and more high tech hardware that somewhat mirrored the hope a wonder weapon would save the war. Oh she starts out throwing around tanks, how will share fare against heavier tanks later? She can take out some slower planes, how will she fare against a late-war jet aircraft?

The show could've went anywhere with its core concept.

But then the Germanian's ace against Izetta was lame and lazy. So we spend the second half of the show in a shounen style magic battle.

The show had potential. it was there. The creators simply didn't understand the appeal of their own work.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I didn´t read the review as i dropped this mess during the 3rd episode and again show to make clear that this show isn´t part of the genre "Historical Fiction". Genres have definitions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_fiction#Britain Wiki correctly states that "Historical Novel" is a synonym for said genre, yet this anime isn´t even set on planet earth. Meaning that a light novel based on this can´t be put next to a Richard Sharpe book or The Pillars of the Earth. Alternate History is the sub genre that applies here and Izetta´s wiki page correctly delivers it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed this series when it was airing and still have a huge soft spot for it today. For some reason, the premise really got to me and the main relationship, while done before, was acted and performed in a way that felt genuine. Though, what I really enjoyed were the battles. Those were some exceedingly well choreographed fight scenes that I think will stand the test of time. Yeah, there were some filler episodes, yeah the story was predictable, but I can't deny that the ending was rather thrilling and the execution of the show itself rather spectacular.
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
As a Military Historian: I was particularly impressed with the detail work in rendering the not-_Graf Zeppelin_ (WW2 German's never-completed aircraft carrier), and coupling it to the sinking of _Blücher_ at Drøbak Sound, Norway, in 1940.

(And Izetta flying around on an anti-materiel rifle -- shades of the infamous B-25 G & H models, with the spinal-mount 75mm anti-tank guns, used in the Pacific Theatre? :) )
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Key wrote:

There never seemed to be any problems with the dub when I watched the first 4 or so episodes. What made me stop watching was the stupid pie episode. They had slowly been veering off course from the shows premise doing silly things up until the point but that pie episode just took the cake.
This is exactly my experience with the series and what I came here to say. I had high hopes after the premiere, was slowly getting worried about the direction it was going, and then stopped watching it weekly after the pie episode and (iirc) a bunch of stupid boob "gags" that really undermined my ability to take the show or any of its supporting cast seriously. I mean I don't mind a silly action fantasy with guns and moe filler, but if that is what the show wanted to be, it should have done so from the beginning. Premiering with a first ep that promised a more mature, thoughtful story ultimately undermined my ability to appreciate it because I was expecting something very different from what it ended up being.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:00 am Reply with quote
Flawed as it is -- both structurally and with its indulgences of fanservice and queer-baiting -- I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Izetta: The Last Witch. One of its strengths to me is its unusual status as a one-cour war epic, which ultra-compresses the kinds of things we expect to play out over four cours (like a Gundam show would). The show rockets along with thrilling momentum, says its piece, and ends with little prospect of (or need for) a continuation. In this, it sort of resembles fellow 2016 alt-history single-cour war story Schwarzesmarken (and for cryin' out loud, what do we have to do to get an R1 Blu-Ray of that series already?)

I can't say enough how I respect both of these examples for wrapping things up conclusively, instead of stringing us along for years. Princess Principal, mentioned earlier in the comments, is a dazzlingly fun alt-history thrill ride, but it resolves little in its first cour finale, and the announcement that its followup will be six mini-movies instead of a TV season (presumably meaning it won't simulcast outside of Japan), means it will be years before the story continues for us in the West, by which time we may well have moved on. Even Attack on Titan suffers from this problem for me -- much as I like it when it's on, the four-year production gap drained much of my enthusiasm, and with little sign that we're even halfway through the story, I do wonder how long in to the 2020s I'll have to keep up with this franchise. Izetta's one-and-done approach is a sharp, satisfying rebuke to all the franchises that seemingly can't help but overstay their welcome.

EDIT: BTW, I'm kind of bummed I didn't see the Izetta Nendoroid in the ACen dealer's room a few weeks back, because it's amazing:
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I can't say enough how I respect both of these examples for wrapping things up conclusively, instead of stringing us along for years. Princess Principal, mentioned earlier in the comments, is a dazzlingly fun alt-history thrill ride, but it resolves little in its first cour finale

I disagree that Princess Principal ended in an inconclusive way. pripri does not have lofty ambitious; it wanted to be a fun spy show with cute girls, and it delivers. If some fans are convinced that the ultimate goal of this show is for spoiler[Princess to become the queen], they are going to be disappointed. The new movies will probably just be more self contained missions.

I really like Princess Principal, but it is not interested in telling and epic story. And that is cool with me because it is a fun show with a very likable main quintet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1