• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Anime Makes Up 77% of Japan's TV Exports

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By region, the breakdown was as follows: 58.7% to Asia, 27.2% to North America, 8.0% to Europe, 1.6% to North America, and 4.6% to other regions.

North America twice?
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
North America twice?

Ahh, that should've been Latin America the second time. Sorry about that, it's fixed now.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Derpy translation, that second "north america" refers to latinamerica (中南米)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Only 77%? I would have thought it would be more like 85%-95%.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I surprised variety programs are popular enough to export, let alone get those kinds of numbers. Or does that count things like Sasuke?
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I surprised variety programs are popular enough to export, let alone get those kinds of numbers. Or does that count things like Sasuke?

You might be surprised, some local channels in China (the relatively small provinces) importer and air them irregularly, there is an niche audience for that. Same applies to Sentai shows like Karmen Rider, but that is licensed Online streaming only in China and South Korea, as far as I know.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
.. Same applies to Sentai shows like Karmen Rider, but that is licensed Online streaming only in China and South Korea, as far as I know.

Karmen?
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In North America, anime made up almost all of the total for the broadcast category, at 95.3%.

Makes sense. I guess the 4.7% comes from international format rights for things like Dragon's Den/Shark Tank and Ninja Warrior?
CR85747

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Quote:
In North America, anime made up almost all of the total for the broadcast category, at 95.3%.

Makes sense. I guess the 4.7% comes from international format rights for things like Dragon's Den/Shark Tank and Ninja Warrior?

If what they're counting are the actual programs, that 4.7% is probably raw versions sold to Japanese-American targeted outlets such as NGN, TV Japan and KIKU-TV.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
While it slightly surprised me that broadcast rights still account for more revenue than streaming rights (31.4 vs. 26.9 percent), I was shocked that both completely dwarf the revenue from home video rights (a mere 2.3%).

As those were the percentages for all TV exports, I am curious how those percentages would have shifted for the 77% that was anime alone.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
While it slightly surprised me that broadcast rights still account for more revenue than streaming rights (31.4 vs. 26.9 percent), I was shocked that both completely dwarf the revenue from home video rights (a mere 2.3%).

As those were the percentages for all TV exports, I am curious how those percentages would have shifted for the 77% that was anime alone.

It's not too suprising when you consider that this is the international stats, with Asia accounting for 58.7% of it vs 27.2% for NA. I suspect the stats would look completely different if it were limited to North America (with nearly zero for broadcasting)

Also we don't know the breakdown of the revenue by title. I'd bet only a handful titles or a handful of genres gets the bulk of those categories and that the distribution for all 200+ new anime shows a year looks very, very different from one another. I am also very sure given the existing news reports of censoring and/or government banning, that a significant amount of titles don't make it to the parts of Asia in some or all categories (broadcast, streaming, merchandise)
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
By region, the breakdown was as follows: 58.7% to Asia, 27.2% to North America, 8.0% to Europe, 1.6% to Latin America, and 4.6% to other regions.

8.0% from Europe dosen't make sense to me, i feel like i'd love to see more Anime getting exporting in Europe, but i am so confused that their export in Europe is so small. Surprised

(sorry for my poor English)
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:14 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Quote:
By region, the breakdown was as follows: 58.7% to Asia, 27.2% to North America, 8.0% to Europe, 1.6% to Latin America, and 4.6% to other regions.

8.0% from Europe dosen't make sense to me, i feel like i'd love to see more Anime getting exporting in Europe, but i am so confused that their export in Europe is so small. Surprised

A US company will buy the English language rights then sub licence to a UK company so that from Japan the UK market is part of the US the same potentially goes for Spain and Portugal sub licencing from Brazil and Mexico. Rights are based on potential viewers so a US company will pay a lot more for the same show than a Lithuanian company for an extreme example.
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Broadcast is huge. Netflix may be a huge streaming company but with worldwide streaming there revenue and profit is below many US only media companies.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Quote:

A US company will buy the English language rights then sub licence to a UK company so that from Japan the UK market is part of the US the same potentially goes for Spain and Portugal sub licencing from Brazil and Mexico. Rights are based on potential viewers so a US company will pay a lot more for the same show than a Lithuanian company for an extreme example.

Hmm, that's good. Thank you for letting me know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2