• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Re:Zero's Western Blu-rays Show Color Banding Artifacts, Companies Respond

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eojay

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:28 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
professorwho wrote:
Oh my god... it's on ANN. YES.

I've been trying to spread it all over so people are aware, and now it's here. YES.

FUNimation's lack of quality control has been exposed!
Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that this concerns Anime Limited too. If it was just a Funimation issue, the UK release wouldn't have those problems. And yet it does, most likely because the Japanese side screwed them both over.

I could go on but it seems like I'm the 100th person in this thread to dunk on you, so I'll end it there.

Anime Ltd used Funimation's discs. The UK market is pretty small (1,000 sales is considered a hit over here), so it doesn't make sense to spend time and money authoring discs when a (usually) fine author from a US or Australian company can be shared. Anime Ltd often use Funimation's authors, MVM use Sentai, Hanabee and Madman's. Manga usually make their own, but they often come with their own problems.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:36 am Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
professorwho wrote:

I've been trying to spread it all over so people are aware, and now it's here. YES.

You make it sound like its a common occurrence. Mistakes happen. When you have as many releases as funi has and only a few have defects you're doing pretty good. I'm sure there are others but the only recent ones I can think of off the top of my head are the subtitle issue on Sword of the Stranger release and the audio issue on the Code Geass R2 release.

You're right, I think we maybe hear of a Funi disc error around once a year, and given the amount they work on for home release and simulcast of dubs it's kinda surprising that only on thing slips through the cracks every year.
Furkat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:52 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Doesn't count as defective? If you're shelling out a pretty penny for series sets then I'd say that the consumer has every right to raise a stink and expect some decent quality/replacement. If the Japanese release can come out better than the US/UK one, there's no reason they can't send it off on a different medium. The "storage" excuse that Justin peddled is something that is getting a little old. I find it odd how they can have little to no issues on their side of the pond but this side tends to get the short end of the stick.

This is the same stand point for their product as with display manufacturers. 1-5 dead pixels are not considered defective. FUNimation has to state what can be considered "defective."
Paulo27

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote
The level of "totally not our fault, deal with it" in this response lol.
This is the standard that has been expected from FUNi, nothing new.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:55 am Reply with quote
Robbl wrote:
Welcome to western anime bluray releases where publishers like Funi or Sentai don't care about image quality. Despite Aniplex prices, at least they do a good job with encoding.

Actually Sentai has been much better with their video quality in their recent BDs compared to years ago. The only thing they need to work on these days is their Limited Editions (then again, I'm more into BD-sized cases and on-disc contents than the stuff they include in those boxes).

Jonny Mendes wrote:
I would say that so far the best quality western releases that i got are from Aniplex.

That's because Aniplex's BDs are authored in Japan with a few exceptions like God Eater.

Eojay wrote:
Anime Ltd used Funimation's discs. The UK market is pretty small (1,000 sales is considered a hit over here), so it doesn't make sense to spend time and money authoring discs when a (usually) fine author from a US or Australian company can be shared. Anime Ltd often use Funimation's authors, MVM use Sentai, Hanabee and Madman's. Manga usually make their own, but they often come with their own problems.

So does Madman actually, they were the ones who authored Anime Limited's release of Your Name and that was filled with problems. That movie was one of the few that FUNi's release could be considered the better of the two (though FUNi's disc has a slightly green tint there).

Madman has been guilty of other releases having issues as well. Their Blu-ray releases of Berserk 1997 (also released by MVM) and Sailor Moon Crystal are brighter than they should be and in the case of the latter, since they use Viz's masters (which has it's own banding problems), they only made it look worse.
professorwho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
professorwho wrote:

Everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that this concerns Anime Limited too. If it was just a Funimation issue, the UK release wouldn't have those problems. And yet it does, most likely because the Japanese side screwed them both over.

I could go on but it seems like I'm the 100th person in this thread to dunk on you, so I'll end it there.

You do realise AL uses the same discs here?

I'm region free, and I would gladly import everything from them instead of FUNimation if it had better PQ, but it means a delay between US and UK releases, so that's why there's less in-house authoring.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
So does Madman actually, they were the ones who authored Anime Limited's release of Your Name and that was filled with problems. That movie was one of the few that FUNi's release could be considered the better of the two (though FUNi's disc has a slightly green tint there).

Adding to that, Funimation's release of your name. actually used the original 24 fps theater video frame rate so even if their video wasn't as good, they at least have that going for them. Unlike Japan's release (23.976 fps), they also kept the audio speed untouched for their release (I know because I compared all of the audio tracks from both discs to the original soundtrack and the 24 fps audio matched the songs perfectly, while the 23.976 fps didn't.)

Funnily enough, encodes and remuxes found online followed the altered home video frame rate/altered audio speed because of the Japanese release. Knowing all of that, I had to make my own remuxes using the JP BD and upscaled 4K BD video and I fixed it by simply tagging the video 24 fps instead. Unfortunately, I also wanted to keep the Japanese audio track untouched so I had to use Funi's slightly lower bit depth audio (20-bit TrueHD tracks) for that. Laughing
NLScavenger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Worth noting that most, if not all, 'Your Name' releases outside Japan have the slightly greenish tint.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
It sucks that Funimation received such bad master files. I love this anime and was planning on buying it.
chronoclast

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Funimation has a very poor track record of fixing video problems on their releases. Remember when they released Serial Experiments Lain on BD and the severe banding and messed up gamma that has? They never fixed it despite all of the evidence and complaints, even when they had the opportunity to do so for their Anime Classics re-release. Them doing nothing about Lain makes me think they won't do anything for Re:Zero either.

Funimation are a lot better about fixing and doing replacement discs for audio problems for whatever reason. Video issues though it's like pulling teeth to get them to even acknowledge and even when they do like with Lain, they do nothing about it.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
chronoclast wrote:
Funimation are a lot better about fixing and doing replacement discs for audio problems for whatever reason. Video issues though it's like pulling teeth to get them to even acknowledge and even when they do like with Lain, they do nothing about it.

Yeah, it's very unlikely to get a fix unless it attracts attention and becomes big enough like this one. That said, I'd love a fix for the Steins;Gate movie's English audio dub track. It has a quick audio distortion at 00:12:04 of the video and a missing voice change filter at 00:37:10. Doubt they'll fix it for their next release, but I'm putting it here as well in the unlikely chance they're reading this and listening this time (I've contacted them about it a few times last year, too.)

Even better if they can at least upgrade the audio for the S;G movie to 20-bit, too like the majority of their releases (audio was only 16-bit, which is rare for Funi.)
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Chichiryuutei wrote:
Also, bonus question for the code Geass R2 BD (LE), I purchased it from rightstuf back in February 2017. I just popped it on the Xbone X and couldn't really hear the stereo sound (mind you, I popped R1 and I couldn't hear it either on my Yamaha 5.1 system). Do I have a faulty R2 discs? If so, Will rightstuf still replace them? It has been 18 months since I made the purchased.

Thanks for the help.

https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/forum/anime-manga-discussions/us-blu-ray-dvd-and-simulcast-industry-news/24510-funimation-licenses-code-geass-lelouch-of-the-rebellion?p=604081#post604081

Quote:
Incase this helps anyone, here's the numbers for the old BD discs compared to the new ones:

Old: FN-07350
#1 DV-07350E - 2061521
#2 DV-07350F - 2061522
#3 DV-07350G - 2061523
#4 DV-07350H - 2061524

New: FN-07354
#1 DV-07354A - 2061529
#2 DV-07354B - 2061530
#3 DV-07354C - 2061531
#4 DV-07354D - 2061532

With the poster who tested the 3rd BD disk (thanks for that) and giving the all-clear, my guess is if you have these newer numbers you should be good to go with the audio issue.

Check the numbers on the other side of your discs. I bought the LE from Right Stuf in July 2017 and have the fixed versions myself and the only way to know is to check the other side because the disc art on the front only shows the old numbers.

If you have the faulty discs, you can try contacting them but I'm not sure Right Stuf can do anything because the LE is out of print now and FUNi's set to release a complete RE set, hopefully with the fixed R2 discs, in August.

Hey man, I just wanted to say thank you. I didn't know about that fan page with the codes for the BDs that were affected. I just reach out to RightStuf and Funimation hopefully one gives me a response. I appreciate the help. I'll hold my Re;Zero purchase until Funi addresses this issue or releases a new S1 LE (or better yet a Collector's Edition).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
xchampion wrote:
professorwho wrote:
Except they’ve been releasing titles with subpar picture quality for years, and nobody has called them out until now. Their releases typically always look worse than the Japanese Blu-rays due to having poor compression and low bitrates.

Like you said in one of your other posts the Japanese will have better compression and bitrates because they only have 2 or 3 episodes per disc. They also charge an arm and a leg more than Funi does, so most people won't import then. You have to sacriface a little quality for quantity. Most of funi's releases look great on my regular 50 inch 1080p television as is. The majority of consumers who frequent Funi aren't checking the quality of their discs vs the Japanese discs either. At the end of the day I'd rather buy the Funi sets at their prices than the Japanese sets and their prices, even if the picture quality is a few bitrates lower. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.
Its not an either/or situation. Its not buy Japanese high quality at ridiculous prices or buy Funimation lower quality at cheaper prices. Funimation doesn't have to do only 2-3 episodes per disc like the Japanese to get better quality.

As far as this specific release goes it sounds like Funi was probably given materials in a poor format and considering that Japanese companies in the past have given out materials with lesser quality I'm ok with blaming the Japanese for the origin of this issue. However, as the article states much of this could have been corrected and that is Funimation's fault. Funi is a 150mil company that's been in this business for awhile, not a mom and pop operation out of a garage. They've made plenty of mistakes with their packaging too, so its not like its a one-off.

SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

Anime Limited uses Funi materials on some of their products. I have their Claymore CE and Harmony steelbook and something else (too lazy to get up and look at shelf) that uses Funi stuff.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei wrote:
So guys, help me understand. While I was able to see the difference in color quality (with the still images), someone in reddit mentioned that your tv can essentially fix the issue via the Tv's image enhancing feature. If so, is this really a deal breaker? I don't know if I'd noticed the difference while in motion (static images vs rolling video). In fact, I just re-watched S1 on FunimationNow and it looked just fine.

Is it confirmed that the streams on FunimationNow exhibit the same problem? Because in the comparisons with the BD the Crunchyroll streams didn't. Anyway, this type of banding is super easy to see when watching on my 40". I remember running a deband filter 10 years ago when watching fansubs that had the same problem.

I also think you guys are barking up the wrong tree vis a vis compression. Another BD with horrible banding is Viz's Gargantia, and the super compressed rips from JP BD still don't have the issues seen there. We're talking less than 200MB per episode in most cases. IMO it's a materials issue or an encoding issue. The Japanese don't put 2-3 episodes per disc because it's a quality necessity. Maybe it was in the DVD era, no way a BD is that bitstarved.
professorwho

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Stealth00 wrote:
Chichiryuutei wrote:
So guys, help me understand. While I was able to see the difference in color quality (with the still images), someone in reddit mentioned that your tv can essentially fix the issue via the Tv's image enhancing feature. If so, is this really a deal breaker? I don't know if I'd noticed the difference while in motion (static images vs rolling video). In fact, I just re-watched S1 on FunimationNow and it looked just fine.

Is it confirmed that the streams on FunimationNow exhibit the same problem? Because in the comparisons with the BD the Crunchyroll streams didn't. Anyway, this type of banding is super easy to see when watching on my 40". I remember running a deband filter 10 years ago when watching fansubs that had the same problem.

I also think you guys are barking up the wrong tree vis a vis compression. Another BD with horrible banding is Viz's Gargantia, and the super compressed rips from JP BD still don't have the issues seen there. We're talking less than 200MB per episode in most cases. IMO it's a materials issue or an encoding issue. The Japanese don't put 2-3 episodes per disc because it's a quality necessity. Maybe it was in the DVD era, no way a BD is that bitstarved.

First, the FUNimation Now stream doesn't have the massive issues of the Blu-ray.

Second, higher bitrates are better than lower. While it doesn't instantly mean better picture quality, it takes more time to aim for good quality at a lower bitrate, so the higher the target, the less time and pressure is put on the compressionist. Blu-ray isn't that bitstarved, you are right. You can have 6 episodes at 35 mbps with 2 audio tracks and a creditless OP on a 50GB disc if you want high bitrates. The issue arises when you put 9 episodes on a BD-50. It's stupid, and while cost saving, makes the possibility for something to go wrong even higher.

Sentai's best looking BD of a TV anime is probably My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, as it is a near flawless encode. Despite having 9 episodes on disc 1 and 4 on the second, the compressionist achieved a flawless encode. The second season looks even better due to better animation and a higher native resolution in production in Japan.

Japan does the 3 per disc thing so they can sell more discs at a pretty penny and make good encodes. Take Darling in the Franxx, Volume 1 by Aniplex has 3 Episodes in 1080p, a special feature, creditless OP and ED, and it has a good encode. 37.70 mbps with the audio being LPCM (the best) Stereo at 2304 kbps 24-Bit.

I hope I made my point across clear, although I ended up making a tech rant...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6