• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Ghost in the Shell Anime Will Have 2 Seasons

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to get more info on this. Glad to hear it's going to be TV format
dannphou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to more Ghost In The Shell!

Anyone know how much of the manga is left to be adapted? Or is it not a direct adaption, but just picking parts of the manga?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
It’s not more SAC? Why does Studio IG hate us so much?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:31 pm Reply with quote
While they're at it, bring back the original voice cast, especially Atsuko Tanaka. Maaya Sakamoto does not work as the Major. It's undoubtedly one of her worst performances.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
IS this is a sequel series to SAC or another entire new project? It is not clear in the article
unready

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
dannphou wrote:
Anyone know how much of the manga is left to be adapted? Or is it not a direct adaption, but just picking parts of the manga?

For those who haven't read them, the first volume and the "1.5" volume are a collection of short stories that do not form a single, unified narrative. Kamiyama did, I think, a really excellent job of taking narrative elements from those stories and turning it into Stand Alone Complex.

The second volume, though, is essentially a single novel whose storyline has not been adapted. It tells the story of what happened after Kusanagi left Section 9 (drastically different from Solid State Society and Innocence, although certain elements of it were implied in Solid State Society). Since there would pretty much have to be a lot of setup (which we don't have) for that storyline, I'd bet major organs that that's not what any new series will tell.

I expect a "re-imagining" of Stand Alone Complex derived from Arise, which probably won't have anything at all from the manga. It's interesting that IG is confident enough to commit to two seasons before the first one even airs.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:

I expect a "re-imagining" of Stand Alone Complex derived from Arise, which probably won't have anything at all from the manga. It's interesting that IG is confident enough to commit to two seasons before the first one even airs.

I hope not, SAC was really great (both season) but I found arise to be a bit a disappointment on all front.

Honestly I'd rather they take more liberty with the franchise, maybe incorporate more contemporary element (the manga is getting older and technology has changed since then).
Lann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Its not another SAC? Sad
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
SAC was IMO the high water mark for this franchise.
Not that anything pre or post was particularly bad.. I just always wondered why more of SAC was never produced.

I didn't have a problem with Arise.. but I don't think it ever met the level of SAC.

From what I have read so far I like it.. let's be optimistic about it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Arise was a huge letdown, excluding Maaya Sakamoto's excellent performance. Really glad to see the staff on these seasons, though. I'll try to keep my expectations low though because almost everything has been a letdown lately.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It’s not more SAC? Why does Studio IG hate us so much?

They won't risk making a bad one and want to be rememebred as the best of the bunch?

I am happy to see ANY GitS anime.
It is one of the few series I love in all its forms.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
For those who haven't read them, the first volume and the "1.5" volume are a collection of short stories that do not form a single, unified narrative. Kamiyama did, I think, a really excellent job of taking narrative elements from those stories and turning it into Stand Alone Complex.

I would counter that the Oshii movie is based on the last three chapters of the original Manga (the Puppeteer/Puppet master story line)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Although ARISE did not have any of the original seiyu or English casts for the voices, I still enjoyed the ARISE universe, especially with Maaya Sakamoto voicing Kusanagi and MAry McGlynn involved as the Major's SO.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:
Although ARISE did not have any of the original seiyu or English casts for the voices, I still enjoyed the ARISE universe, especially with Maaya Sakamoto voicing Kusanagi and MAry McGlynn involved as the Major's SO.

I thought it was decent enough, but the ending of the New Movie was unnecessarily convoluted.

Perhaps that's just what you get when you ask for more GitS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm okay if this is something new that isn't SAC.

I would also love another elaborate art-house Oshii movie too while they're at it. Though I understand that those are expensive and not so profitable... Sad

Speaking of ARISE, is there any hope of Funimation finally putting out 'Border 5' on blu-ray? The one that bridges the gap from between Borders 1-4 with the ARISE movie?

It sucks missing it for those of us who buy physically. And episode 5 is necessary and not a negligible part of the whole story. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2