• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Harvey Awards Creates New 'Best Manga' Category, Nominates 5 Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calico

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Wait. They got ride of the "Best Foreign Material" category? So that means that non Japanese or European comics are ineligible for awards? I'm glad they opened up new categories, which gives more titles a chance to shine without competing against each other, but this seems like an oversight.

(Gripes aside, I hope My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness wins in the category).
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Berserk ought to be on that list.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
Wait. They got ride of the "Best Foreign Material" category? So that means that non Japanese or European comics are ineligible for awards? I'm glad they opened up new categories, which gives more titles a chance to shine without competing against each other, but this seems like an oversight.

This.

Also like... ughhh I feel like, while commentary and navel-gazing have their place and do have benefits, they often end up reinforcing certain walls unintentionally. Like, walls that they hadn't realized could come down... like, not that a publisher contemplating an international collaboration would literally stop and say, "Wait, but which category would this go into for this specific award?" but less literally than that...

I dislike awards in general because like... you can't say that one thing is the best work in a medium/country in a year. There are few fields where it's legitimately worthwhile to invalidate all but one winner (or all but five nominees).
Kikimani

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:

(Gripes aside, I hope My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness wins in the category).

From the article:

"Best American Edition of Foreign Material" is no longer a category, though there is also a new category for "Best European Book."
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Kikimani wrote:
Calico wrote:

From the article:

"Best American Edition of Foreign Material" is no longer a category, though there is also a new category for "Best European Book."

So if a great Korean manwha deserves an award, which category would it be nominated under?
Nacirema

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:

The thing with the award change is the goal isn't to be as inclusive as possible. The award categories went from 24 to 6. A lot of people and books got the short end of the stick with this changes. The goal seem to be as minimalist as possible with the categories while still focusing on the most notable one.

Agent355 wrote:
So if a great Korean manwha deserves an award, which category would it be nominated under?

Like I said previously they removed the categories for online comic, anthology, biographical/historical/journalistic work, syndicated strip, etc.A lot of works got the short end of the stick with the change. The goal for these change isn't really to be inclusive as possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1