• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Utena Director Kunihiko Ikuhara's Sarazanmai Anime Unveils New Promo, April Noitamina Debut

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
I know that a certain segment of Ikuhara's fanbase likes to dump on Penguindrum, but personally, I'm delighted that this promo seems to be picking up a lot of that show's established visual cues.
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
So it confirms that The Promised Neverland will only be one cour.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:

Or split-cour.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I know that a certain segment of Ikuhara's fanbase likes to dump on Penguindrum, but personally, I'm delighted that this promo seems to be picking up a lot of that show's established visual cues.

From what I have heard, a larger segment of Ikuhara's fanbase is quite disconcerted—to say the least—that this is a Noitamina show, and is hence in Amazon's likely clutches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hellfish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Time to wait and see. On the very least it won't be boring. Very Happy
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

From what I have heard, a larger segment of Ikuhara's fanbase is quite disconcerted—to say the least—that this is a Noitamina show, and is hence in Amazon's likely clutches.

I don’t think Ikuhara fans would give a toss if its a Noitamina show. If anything it would be the reverse as the Noitamina block has always been a bit more experimental.

BTW Penguindrum was awesome. Lesbian bears would be the weaker show although I generally enjoyed it.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Nodz wrote:

Or split-cour.
Probably not since it will only be adapting the first arc.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Question about the promo - Is that visual hybrid of live-action photo/stop motion/animation the actual style of the show? Or just used for the promo? It looked interesting.
Dr.N0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Question about the promo - Is that visual hybrid of live-action photo/stop motion/animation the actual style of the show? Or just used for the promo? It looked interesting.
Yes, I would like to see shows like that.
Rednimue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for Ikuhara's next original Project ! Very Happy
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
So... the show takes place in photo-realistic Asakusa?
kamui85

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:56 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

I don’t think Ikuhara fans would give a toss if its a Noitamina show. If anything it would be the reverse as the Noitamina block has always been a bit more experimental.

BTW Penguindrum was awesome. Lesbian bears would be the weaker show although I generally enjoyed it.

My thoughts exactly lesbian bears was trash, penguins are the only heirs to Utena's legacy...
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:12 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

I wouldn't necessarily say Penguindrum was awesome, but I also think it was leagues better than YKA. YKA was a low point for me as far as Ikuhara goes, it was like a not very subtle and not very good Ikuhara parody. (It doesn't help that it generally felt like I was watching the unfiltered ideas of a dirty old man with an obsession with lesbians... that Ikuhara kind of is, to be fair.)
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:36 am Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Show-wise Penguindrum is definately better. Yurikuma was really only good for the yuri fanservice, to be honest. I felt the story was pretty weak.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:52 am Reply with quote
I'm guess I'm one of the rare Ikuhara fans who liked both Penguindrum and Yuri Kuma.

Digging the Penguindrum callback with the background characters. I hope the style of the show will be just as experimental as the PV implies. Main guy's pretty cute too!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2