• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Princess Principal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
I've seen the first dubbed episode of Princess Principal, and while not perfect, it is about as close as you can get using American actors, its at least better than Black Butler.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
I have finally finished it. I thought it was a great series. I'll be picking up the BD's.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
I need to order Princess Principal. I was sick almost all of last week and never got around to it. Need to get Zillion as well; a shame they couldn't dub it, but that would be an expensive venture for such an ancient artifact.

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:40 am Reply with quote
Princess Principal was my top anime of last year; it takes a relatively simple premise and delvers everything i want in an anime. I want to pick up the LE for it, but i can't decide whether to get it now, or wait for it to be super cheap in a Sentai sale a year from now...

I love the look the Zillions bluray has, like it's been in a VHS rental store for 20 years. I think they did that with the Devilman release as well; it's a neat style.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
Apparently we won't have our premium box sets until November 11th ... damn.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Kind of a shame Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches apparently doesn't include all the dubs that Crunchyroll created for it last year (they did an experiment where they dubbed YK&T7W, Rokka, and Schwarzesmarken into French, German, Spanish, and Portugese). Surely the FR and ES dubs would be desirable to some Region A viewers.

As for Princess Principal, I've said it before, so tl;dr: I really liked this show, but knowing the next installment will be movies instead of a series -- meaning it will take 3 to 5 years to get to us in the West -- kind of kills my interest in pursuing the franchise further.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Apparently we won't have our premium box sets until November 11th ... damn.

The physical extras must occasionally result in production slow downs compared to the regular version. The premium release of No Game No Life Zero had a different release date than the standard, as I recall.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The character designs are distinctive, even if it does sometimes feel like the heroines are overdressed for all the running and fighting they have to do.

I for one would still prefer they be "overdressed" as opposed to unrealistically skimpy like most female-dominated action series often are (not quite as respectful of its characters, in my opinion). The more I hear about this, the more I look forward to the premium set!
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
As for Princess Principal, I've said it before, so tl;dr: I really liked this show, but knowing the next installment will be movies instead of a series -- meaning it will take 3 to 5 years to get to us in the West -- kind of kills my interest in pursuing the franchise further.

I dunno... The gap between Japanese releases and Western releases (particularly in the US) has been steadily narrowing. PriPri isn't a big enough franchise for the few weeks gap of the recent MHA movie, but I wouldn't bet against much shorter than 3-5 years myself.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I tried a couple of time to get trough princess principal and I think I made it quite far in small burst but it never really gelled with me. I think the serious tone and the more silly tone just clashed too much and I just couldn't take any of the spy seriously, so whenever some "heart wrenching" decision came up it was hard to be invested since most of the time it felt more like they were just a bunch of kid playing make believe spy.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I love the look the Zillions bluray has, like it's been in a VHS rental store for 20 years. I think they did that with the Devilman release as well; it's a neat style.

This is also, extremely appropriately, what the Bluray of Netflix's Stranger Things did. Ninja Slayer has a release that looks like a burned DVD-R.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Amazon has the rights to Princess Principal, perhaps they would be interested in carrying the movies reasonably close to their release dates.

On the other hand, my biggest disappointment with Amazon Prime right now concerns the live-action adaptation of Moribito. The NHK devoted twenty-two episodes to this gorgeous series, but Amazon has only licensed the first one so far. If that's any indication of their commitment to the Japanese series they carry, the prospects for future PriPri are more cloudy. (Look at all the older series they carry now with only English dubs, too. I went to watch Juuni Kokuki ["Twelve Kingdoms"] the other day and turned it off immediately when I discovered I couldn't even choose the Japanese track.)
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
This show was so good. I need my Premium Edition ASAP. Really looking forward to the dub.

belvadeer wrote:
I need to order Princess Principal. I was sick almost all of last week and never got around to it. Need to get Zillion as well; a shame they couldn't dub it, but that would be an expensive venture for such an ancient artifact.

100%

Would have really enjoyed a full Zillion dub.

Merxamers wrote:
Princess Principal was my top anime of last year; it takes a relatively simple premise and delvers everything i want in an anime. I want to pick up the LE for it, but i can't decide whether to get it now, or wait for it to be super cheap in a Sentai sale a year from now...

Excellent, I really liked the Zillion packaging in the picture so I'm looking forward to seeing it person when my copy gets here.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
This show was so good. I need my Premium Edition ASAP. Really looking forward to the dub.

Same. The hatred the English dub trailer received from overreacting anti-dub YouTubers is hilariously misplaced.

Quote:
100%

It's funny since it did have an official dub for all of five episodes. Imagine if they could dub it all the way through with the same VAs now. It would be a wonderful addition, at least to think about.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:26 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

Same. The hatred the English dub trailer received from overreacting anti-dub YouTubers is hilariously misplaced.

Quote:
100%

It's funny since it did have an official dub for all of five episodes. Imagine if they could dub it all the way through with the same VAs now. It would be a wonderful addition, at least to think about.

Agreed.

Yeah good point, I've still got some memories of that short dub sample we got for it. That would have been so cool, hell I think a bunch of them are still voicing lol. I remember it even had Barbara Goodson in it.

Looking up the cast list I'm guessing this must have been one of the first times I'd heard her, Wendee Lee, Doug Stone, etc, which is super cool to think about. Also, it's funny how a couple of them reunited in similar roles for Teknoman, no wonder I got into that dub so quickly back in the day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2