• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Show By Rock!!# & Shorts BD/DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milkyy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
nenoroid-ready CG characters

I'm actually waiting on Nendoroids of these characters! I bought the Cyan one, but ended up selling it after all... she looked so lonely by herself Surprised
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
While I do agree that the second season did have its issues, I felt that it developed its villain far more than it ever did for Dagger Morse in season one. He didn't even have a legitimate reason for bringing Cyan into Sound World in the first place, and he was just a generic doomsday villain with no substance. Victorious actually had some degree of substantial backstory and reasoning for why she did what she did. Also, how is Moa's home planet culturally insensitive? I'm afraid I'm not really seeing it, or am I missing something?

Although I will say this: I HATED Dolly Dulci. I thought they were annoying, especially their voices. Pig Macaron in particular had an awful voice. I haven't seen the dub yet, and considering FUNimation's track record with making girls with annoying voices actually sound tolerable, maybe they'll improve on it somewhat.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I still have my Cyan Nendoroid, but was super disappointed that you can't switch out her face to make her human or cat. Instead it comes with a miniature of her cat version. It seems like they really dropped the ball on that. Actually I was super disappointed by the lack of merchandising with this show in general. Isn't is a Sanrio property? What the heck? I had assumed it just sold terribly, but then it got the shorts and second season. Guess it boosted the mobile game sales enough, or something.

Anyway, I definitely liked the concept of Show by Rock better than the execution, but I still found the whole thing to be enjoyable enough. But what does the review mean by the music doesn't "scan" well? Like the lyrics never quite fit the music? That always seems to be an issue with English-dubbed anime songs, but I don't remember the Japanese songs ever sounding off like that, although I did find most of the insert songs pretty forgettable compared to the opening/ending songs anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I really want to love Show By Rock. Even just a little bit. The show has a really cute style, cute character designs, great CGI, and I absolutely ADORE Shingan Crimsonz. But both the first and second season lack an actual focus and don’t seem to know what it wants to be. The second season was so much worse with this, imo.

There’s pointless filler in between supposed major plot points, and the supposed “twists” in the story aren’t actually twists because either they’re already super obvious OR we’re not given enough focus on the characters to care about major plot points af all. Bud Virgin Logic and Arcareafact were introduced, but not shown enough for anyone who didn’t play the mobile game to actually know more about them or care that they’re there. Episodes can feel like a mood whiplash with how much it tries to be both a “girls doing moe things” slice of life AND a “journey to fight the Big Bad.” It can be done, but SB69 anime has no clue how to do it and it would have been better off just being an episodic slice of life musical anime, imo.

I think I’m just more peeved about this than any other anime I would normally forget about because I really do want to love SB69 ^^;;
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:27 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I still have my Cyan Nendoroid, but was super disappointed that you can't switch out her face to make her human or cat. Instead it comes with a miniature of her cat version. It seems like they really dropped the ball on that. Actually I was super disappointed by the lack of merchandising with this show in general. Isn't is a Sanrio property? What the heck? I had assumed it just sold terribly, but then it got the shorts and second season. Guess it boosted the mobile game sales enough, or something.

Oh, how much I agree with you on the Cyan nendoroid's lack of a cat face. I really think that she should have came with at least three faces: Normal, Cat Face and [insert other face expression here]. I guess the other one she comes with is okay, but I rarely ever had Cyan use it. In general, they really should have made some more nendoroids of the other characters, but I guess Cyan didn't sell as much as they thought she would.
And I was always surprised at the lack of Show by Rock merchandise, especially compared to other Sanrio series. I know there were some things for a while when the show first came out, but it kinda seems like they didn't really "strike while the iron is hot" as far as long-term merch goes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1