• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XV Director Hajime Tabata Resigns from Square Enix

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:16 am Reply with quote
A shame. He had real talent and was the only reason why FF XV was as good as it was (despite the holes). Or even finished. His last 2 FF games were also the only Japanese SE games with a worthwhile story in about a decade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:10 am Reply with quote
Hopefully this means FF16 will go back to its roots. Didn't care for 15 at all.
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:11 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
A shame. He had real talent and was the only reason why FF XV was as good as it was (despite the holes). Or even finished. His last 2 FF games were also the only Japanese SE games with a worthwhile story in about a decade.

It's really a shame, but at least he can work on his own project now, since every single other major production he's worked on has been somebody else's vision he has to fill in the gaps for.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:35 am Reply with quote
Well, after the 17 million dollars loss from Shinra Technologies that cost Yoichi Wada his position in Square Enix, what are you expected after the loss of 33 million from Luminous? They did the obvious thing, no matter if that being wrong or right. It's just the standard business procedure for Square.
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:31 am Reply with quote
Disappointed for more than just a few reasons.

The first being that I really loved FFXV and losing the DLC I was really looking forward to.

The second is that, like most Japanese high-profile company resignations, this probably isn't as amicable as it looks, and Tabata was used as a scapegoat.

The third being that as much as I enjoy all the support that FFXV got after its release, having your entire triple-A team work on a finished game was a terrible decision, and I some level agree with moving on to the next project or at least have some SEMBLANCE of a structure going forward.

The fourth being that SE's map has been all over the place for the triple-A's without any direction, having Nomura planned to direct three different triple-A's being one example, with only Kingdom Hearts 3 being the one to actually have lasted and kept its relative form and function, and my fifth complaint would be that you wasted all your energy on EFFING KINGDOM HEARTS instead of literally anything else.

The sixth being that I doubt this somehow finally get them to start working on the FFVII Remake now, because God knows they're running around like headless chickens and the other only likely outcome is that FF7R is announced cancelled.

The seventh and last is that I would actually be somewhat okay with the latter.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote
I won't egg on Tabata given he just lost his job and that's pretty low actually. So, in my very honest opinion, XV is INARGUABLY mediocre. Yeah, there's seems a fanbase to it, but I bet 70% of these peeps haven't played all FF main titles, and XV was just among the handfuls they've played, thus they can brazenly say it's actually a GOOD main FF title, which is, laughable. Still, I won't deny that XV had been a success. It's a virtual masterpiece, it deserves the praises, but good freaking Enix messed up its potential. More than 10 freaking long years of work, but they couldn't put the finishing touches, got stalled, (rest is history) until Tabata came to the rescue and miraculously, managed to put up that sellable product, albeit messy.

Although I am one to think Tabata isn't a good director, his efforts to make the game alive is commendable. He and his team deserved better. I just hope they will get their checks even after getting their last batch of DLCs scrapped.

Lastly, I was kinda hyped on 7 Remake, but now... I am afraid that SE will again do their sh*tty "our diehard fans and some casuals will still buy our unfinished product" stunt. I miss Squaresoft, and I know a lot of people feel that way too.
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
I won't egg on Tabata given he just lost his job and that's pretty low actually. So, in my very honest opinion, XV is INARGUABLY mediocre. Yeah, there's seems a fanbase to it, but I bet 70% of these peeps haven't played all FF main titles, and XV was just among the handfuls they've played, thus they can brazenly say it's actually a GOOD main FF title, which is, laughable.

Gonna cut you off here and say that, having played every single main title and most spinoffs, it's about the same biased opinion on both sides -- those that HAVE played all the main titles and those that haven't.

Because as 'classic' as the earlier titles before 6 were, as good as they were back then, NO they are not good games anymore. They are terrible. I'd go as far as to say that they are unfinishable.

As much as I enjoyed FFXV, I can't recommend it for everyone, because what is, as you put it -- inarguable -- is that it's a flawed, incomplete, and messy game. But it's also inarguable of the fact that I did enjoy it immensely, and that I would rank it higher more than half of the main numbered titles. I got more emotions from FFXV than most of them, and if that's not a sign that I can't rank it higher than a mere 'average' then I don't know what is.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:44 am Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
Gonna cut you off here and say that, having played every single main title and most spinoffs, it's about the same biased opinion on both sides -- those that HAVE played all the main titles and those that haven't.

Because as 'classic' as the earlier titles before 6 were, as good as they were back then, NO they are not good games anymore. They are terrible. I'd go as far as to say that they are unfinishable.

Whoa, that's a vast overstatement in itself. While I personally don't have the patience for the NES titles, FF4 and FF5 really aren't considerably inferior to their successors. The stories may be less elaborate, but they're perfectly playable and enjoyable JRPGs. If you want "unfinishable", you'll have to dig much deeper and find crap like Hydlide.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:59 am Reply with quote
That's sad. Tabata made the best FF game. I wish him the best.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:08 am Reply with quote
Rosiero wrote:

FF4 and FF5 really aren't considerably inferior to their successors.

I concur, sir. 4 and 5 are those titles that many peeps are being misled into thinking they were not that good when in fact they belong to the best of the roster. The sad reality nowadays is, being an visual eye candy can seriously influence one's perception of what's good, when years ago, a good title can only be considered as good if they have a compelling story, relatable characters, then aspect of sound and gameplay should at least maintain that era's standards and the last thing everyone notices is the graphics.
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:09 am Reply with quote
Rosiero wrote:
Whoa, that's a vast overstatement in itself. While I personally don't have the patience for the NES titles, FF4 and FF5 really aren't considerably inferior to their successors. The stories may be less elaborate, but they're perfectly playable and enjoyable JRPGs. If you want "unfinishable", you'll have to dig much deeper and find crap like Hydlide.

Ha, I suppose that IS an overstatement. But I would still argue that FF1 to 4 are 'unfinishable'. FF1 and 2 are hard enough to start with, but with 3 and 4, the final section of the game just becomes tedious and cheap. Random encounters with bosses, plus a chance to just get one-hit by an encounter with superbosses, killing your entire progress? It's the worst kind of padding by grind that so many JRPGs have done since the beginning of time. And what you get at the end for overcoming that grind is rarely worth it at that point, because the best part of the game was already over.
Generations

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:20 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
I concur, sir. 4 and 5 are those titles that many peeps are being misled into thinking they were not that good when in fact they belong to the best of the roster. The sad reality nowadays is, being an visual eye candy can seriously influence one's perception of what's good, when years ago, a good title can only be considered as good if they have a compelling story, relatable characters, then aspect of sound and gameplay should at least maintain that era's standards and the last thing everyone notices is the graphics.

5 was a lot of things, but 'compelling story' is not what I would use to describe it. 'Relatable characters' is more arguable, but I always found Butz to be as interesting as the next vanilla jrpg hero.

As for 4, I argue it had a strong beginning but the moment Cecil became a Paladin the story got weaker and weaker until it eventually became just bulletpoints of events that happened. I also never felt anything for the Cecil-Rosa love story, if that's what you want to call it. So I guess about the same as 15 in that regard.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:24 am Reply with quote
I am not particularly pointing 5 when I said that good games from long ago tends to have compelling substances on their story. 5 was really fun though. Goofy and simple, then had those kinda "whoa" moments, especially that 1v1 thing with Galuf. Still makes me scream on that part.

Aah, time to unbox some old games in my stash. This thread made me feel like replaying them for the nth time.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:

Don't think another Final Fantasy 9 is the answer Razz
arzi5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
E-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:

Thank God, FF15 looked like shit & I didn't even bother to give it a chance. Hopefully FF16 can provide the quality FF15 failed to provide. & Thank God Haijime Tabata was fired only means FF16 will stray from the disaster that is FF15 I don't appreciate the pushing political agenda all these films/books/games/media in general is trying to push into normality. I would rather not have a homosexual subplot or a brain dead female love interest like 15 had lmao & hopefully FF16 has a hybrid of turned based vs hacknslah mechanics

That’s going too far. Just stop and do your research before blaming all on Tabata.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2