• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: My Sister, My Writer Credits List Animator with Pseudonym 'Honestly, I'm Screwed'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Lmao thats... kinda sad.

i have to wonder WHY this series was okayed in the first place.

I'm a fan of the tropes portrayed in this series but the writing is just... bad. really bad.

I can totally understand other people would like it regardless of its glaring faults but unless they were banking on the 'true' fans having deep pockets who would buy the blu rays regardless this series seems... is unlikely to appeal to anyone outside of that very specific niche.

Its a real shame because with some competent editorial changes this could have been a really funny series.

It has ... ... an aspiring light novel protagonist who lives in the shadow of his younger more talented sister?

That's the only thing I think it was based off the few episodes I saw.

Seriously who okayed this??? Did the author self-publish this story cause that would make total sense.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
This is one of those how-to-make-anime anime horror stories made manifest. I turned it off after the first minute.

I can't blame them either. The writing is a bit derivative of more successful titles and the studios are extremely inexperienced. They were clearly not ready to do their own project, at least under current management.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm watching two shows this season: SSSS.GRIDMAN and this one. I'm one of the few that geniunely has been enjoying it. It's trashy fun unlike GRIDMAN which I actually wish has less fanservice. I just wish this show would get the care that all shows deserve and not just be written off. It's bad enough I have to read commenters constantly insult it, we should at least have the studio backing it properly. Hopefully, the delay for the next episode, while killing me with wait will display better work.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:53 pm Reply with quote
You know the production is stretched to the breaking point when they don't even have the resources to slap together a recap episode for a delay week and make the TV networks air a rerun instead. Aren't reruns virtually unheard of during an anime's initial run?
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Almost sounds like they're trying to compete with Märchen Mädchen on the level of disaster they can reach.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
The first quarter of 2018 ended with Märchen Mädchen getting some attention for its troubled animation production.

Towards the end of the year, this one went through similar issues.

Book ends much?
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
i have to wonder WHY this series was okayed in the first place.

Seriously who okayed this??? Did the author self-publish this story cause that would make total sense.

I believe an issue is that considering how relatively easy it is nowadays to produce animation (for the most part all mostly done on computers, rather than having to deal with say cells, physical palettes, and the like) it's kind of hard NOT to animate something in the hope that it produces more sales for a particular title. Light novel or manga leads to animation, animation leads to physical sales, physical sales leads to tie-ins or other format exploration (i.e., video games, character goods, as examples), eventually it all kind of whirlwinds and cycles around in the hope that the title can continuously generate money. It's also relatively speaking "easy" animation in that it's not having to animate sci-fi, supernatural, etc, etc. It's animating "life" (rather hilariously) with established anime tropes that tend to work. Plus simul-caster services and again so much aforementioned material being animated means studios and publishers need to find the next thing that people are going to go after. I'm sure every light novel and manga that gets even remotely popular is evaluated for animation very early on.

Personally I do think it points to something fairly disturbing in that there is a lot of anime as of late being released with very questionable quality. I do understand that a lot of titles are cleaned up prior to BD/DVD sales, but I feel like that should not be the case in the modern digital anime era when master cels and material is so easily accessible digitally; it needs to be handled initially. I for one would be willing to wait on something in the hope that more time would be focused on quality, but I think there's just so much pressure to simply get material out - due to how flooded the anime market is - that it means more corners are cut than likely should be. It's one thing to say have limited or altered animation for the sake of style but it's another thing when quality is so blatantly low in many recent series that you can easily count examples on both hands.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
@I_Drive_DSM
Frame by frame rasterized animation is still very painstaking and requires intensive man hours and good coordination between different groups despite being digital.

Given the chaos behind the scenes, the collapse of sub-contracting studios they used, the different styles, I just wonder if we'll see enough of a correction for the blurays. I'm absolutely sure there will be cleanups, just like Märchen Mädchen, But they'll have to literally do some redesign and reanimate, and I just wonder if they'll have the budget for it. Will the changes be as drastic as Mekakucity Actors or Wizard Barristers?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
As they say "too many chiefs". Seven Directors and no key animators? I don't know who is running this operation, but this is a guaranteed recipe for losing business.

Got to feel sorry for Ebisu. Very well his only chance at an anime and was ruined. Sad
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:15 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
As they say "too many chiefs".

Actually it's
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I notice funny pseudonyms like this in anime credits every now and then.
My personal favorite so far is "Busenmeister Brandish" in Highschool DxD episodes. It's german and translates to something like "breast/bust master brandish". It fits the anime quite well xD
Calsolum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
@I_Drive_DSM

honestly i feel like the market is just way too oversaturated with mediocre and downright horrendous material.

Media entertainment needs more 'gatekeepers'.

The money and time that went into this should have been spent looking for a better series.

I'm sure that sounds cruel but I feel like rejection handled professionally would have served this author better because then he could make his next work better.

Who knows maybe people bashing his work now WILL make his next work better.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

The money and time that went into this should have been spent looking for a better series.

This is a fallacy that a lot of fans seem to believe in, but it's not how anime production works. There isn't some collective queue of money (& time) waiting to be used, and instead the this series was chosen specifically to be made into anime. It not being adapted would not have resulted in something else being chosen in its place, because that's not how production works. It simply wouldn't have been made, & that money simply wouldn't have been spent.

Quote:
I'm sure that sounds cruel but I feel like rejection handled professionally would have served this author better because then he could make his next work better.

Who knows maybe people bashing his work now WILL make his next work better.

You're making it sound like the creator was the one responsible for the anime being put into production in the first place, as if they were directly making pitches to anime studios, which is really wrong. Sure, the creator may have been consulted to some extent, but the idea of making an anime likely came about by the publisher, which wanted to help promote sales of the original source material by making anime, i.e. the very reason why anime adaptations of manga/novels/games are made in the first place.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

This is a fallacy that a lot of fans seem to believe in, but it's not how anime production works. There isn't some collective queue of money (& time) waiting to be used, and instead the this series was chosen specifically to be made into anime. It not being adapted would not have resulted in something else being chosen in its place, because that's not how production works. It simply wouldn't have been made, & that money simply wouldn't have been spent.

Thanks for sharing that, I did not know that.
With that information, I would emphasise that the company needed a more talented gatekeeper or scout or researcher.
Whoever's job it is to look for work that could be adapted should have found something 'better'.
At the very least something with more widespread appeal instead of this very niche and now oversaturated demographic.

Quote:
You're making it sound like the creator was the one responsible for the anime being put into production in the first place, as if they were directly making pitches to anime studios, which is really wrong. Sure, the creator may have been consulted to some extent, but the idea of making an anime likely came about by the publisher, which wanted to help promote sales of the original source material by making anime, i.e. the very reason why anime adaptations of manga/novels/games are made in the first place.

That was not my intention but again this was something I did not know. In this hypothetical, if the publisher was the one who suggested this title to the anime studio a quick google search shows me that there are a plethora of other works produced by them. I can see a number of popular works with much more published volumes than My Sister, My Writer.
If the end goal of the publisher is money which lets be honest is always the end goal then they I would have chosen something else.
To be frank 'My Sister, My Writer' is bad. Sickingly so.
From a 'general' perspective.
Watching the first few episodes I wanted to meet this author's editor and ask why would you let your company publish this drivel?
Just tell him its bad and then you can suggest to him how he can improve it.
I know it fits a specific niche and that's great but if they company wanted profit then animating a niche title and hoping it becomes the next big thing is not the way to go.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
Seven Directors and no key animators?
The fact that a subcontracting studio dissolved its key animation department doesn't mean there were no key animators working on the episode. Without key animation all you're left with is in-betweens, which is impossible by definition. All it means is that all the key animators involved were freelancers or from other studios. Heck, a studio not having any in-house key animators isn't necessarily a sign of disaster - A-1 Pictures employs no key animators full-time and they're doing fine, more or less.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2