• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kōya no Kotobuki Hikōtai TV Anime's 2nd Promo Video Reveals January 13 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
One thing is for sure is it's definitely not going to be an underdog sports story like Girls und Panzer. Hopefully it will have similar character dynamics as that show.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Well that looks ugly as all hell
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably just mourn over the hand drawn planes in "The Cockpit". Why animate when you can puppeteer 3D models? Mizushima I want to trust you...
Zen119

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:17 am Reply with quote
I'm optimistic with this anime. If Tsutomu Mizushima can infuse the things that he did for Girls und Panzer like the story, character interactions and the action scenes, this anime might succeed even if it's a hybrid of 2D and 3DCG animation instead of 2D animation w/ 3DCG elements like GuP.

Besides, I'd much rather look at these character designs as oppose to those of the Berserk anime made also by Gemba.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
So all the aircraft are Japanese?
meh
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Seeing as a lot of anime is set in Japan or a Japanese-type setting, it makes sense that the planes will be Japanese. That said, Funi or Sentai giving this a simuldub/dubcast would nice.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

Seeing as a lot of anime is set in Japan or a Japanese-type setting, it makes sense that the planes will be Japanese. That said, Funi or Sentai giving this a simuldub/dubcast would nice.

Yeah that's a given.. however even Garupan fielded other tanks.. all Japanese aircraft is just boring.. my .02
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
Technical detail, from a Military Historian:

The acft. names and designations are all correct -- Japanese acft. of the period had upwards of three different designations, and the Army and Navy each had its own designation system.

The Army used: the Kitai (Ki-), or airframe number (gliders also received a Guraida [Ku-] number; the Kayaba gyrocopters received a Kazagurama [Ka-] number); the Type number, describing the unit's function, and the year of acceptance (in the Japanese calendar, of course -- so "1940 AD" was "2600"); and once The War kicked off in earnest, popular names were devised, as using designations was thought to give too much info to the enemy.

The Navy used: Experimental Shi numbers, the number being based on the year of the current Emperor's reign (7th year = "7-Shi"); the "short designation", which used: [letter indicating unit's purpose][number of acft. for that purpose which had been ordered][letter indicating builder of unit][number indicating how many models of that unit had been created][lower-case letter indicating minor modification variants] -- plus, if a unit had been designed for one purpose, but converted to another, the end of the code would have a "-", followed by the letter indicating the purpose to which it had been converted; the Type Number, similar to the Army system (tho' "2600" was rendered "0" in the Navy, where the Army used "100"); and the popular-name, where units of a given purpose received "themed" names (carrier and seaplane fighters: Wind ["pu" or "fu"]; interceptors: lightning ["den"]; night-fighters: light ["ko"]; attack: mountain; recon: cloud; bombers: stars ["sei"] or constellations ["zan"]; patrol: seas or oceans; transports: sky; trainers: tree, plant, or flower; everything else: landscape effect). There was a fifth Navy system, the Service Airplane Development Program number, but those files got blowed up....

The above explains why the Western Allies created the unit-naming scheme most of the world is familiar with -- male names applied to fighters and recon floatplanes; female names to bombers, wheeled recon planes (land- or carrier-based), flying boats, and transports (transport names all starting with "T"); tree names to trainers; bird names to gliders.

So, for ex.: The "N1K1-J _Shiden_Interceptor" -- it started like as a IJNAF floatplane fighter [N-], the first (and, as it happened, the only) of its kind [-1-] ordered from Kawanishi [-K-], and the first model of its kind [-1]; when the War showed floatplane fighters were obsolete, the design was converted to a landplane and redesignated as an interceptor [-J; also "Shi*den*", or "Violet Lightning"; the floatplane was "Kyo*fu*", or "Mighty Wind"].

Meanwhile, the "A6M2b Type 0 Carrier Fighter" is more straightforward. "A" indicates "carrier-based fighter"; "6" is the 6th carrier fighter the Navy ordered; "M" is Mitsubshi, the constructor; "2" is the second model of A6M built; "b" indicates a subtype of "A6M2". "Type 0" indicates the unit was accepted in Year 2600 of the Japanese calendar, or 1940 AD. As this unit predated the War going worldwide, no popular name was ever attached; unofficially, the type was referred to as "Reisen" ("Zero Fighter").

Conversely: the "Ki-44 _Shoki_ Type 2 Single-Seat Fighter" was an Army design, intended to deal with enemy long-range heavy bombers operating from China and islands south. "Ki-44" indicates the 44th airframe the Army requested, in total. "Type 2" means it was accepted in 2602 of the Japanese calendar, or 1942 Gregorian. (The reference to it being "single-seat" is to prevent confusion with the Kawasaki Ki-45 two-seat fighter accepted the same year.) The name "Shoki" ("Devil-Queller") is the "popular name".

The "Ki-43 _Hayabusa_ Type 1 Fighter" is much simpler: 43rd airframe ordered; accepted 2601 (1941 AD); "_Hayabusa_" ("Peregrine Falcon") for simplicity.

Always does my heart good to see when people Do The Research.... :)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1