• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gekijōban Haikara-san ga Tōru Zenpen - Benio, Hana no 17-sai

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
Oooh! Sounds like this is my kind of movie, and last I checked, Live-Evil started subbing the original series! I hope it comes out on DVD soon! I wanna watch it!
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Just FYI: The review does not have a link to the Encyclopedia page for the movie, and vice versa. Also, the review does not have the production information found in the Encyclopedia page.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Just FYI: The review does not have a link to the Encyclopedia page for the movie, and vice versa. Also, the review does not have the production information found in the Encyclopedia page.

Sorry about that. This should be fixed now.
Mosaic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm so excited about this. I was expecting this is a bit rushed, after all the original TV series was 42 episodes and it only covered half of the manga.

Interested to see what changes they make. Wasn't too happy they changed Shinobu and Benio's first encounter.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Oooh! Sounds like this is my kind of movie, and last I checked, Live-Evil started subbing the original series! I hope it comes out on DVD soon! I wanna watch it!

The film is getting a US release next year.
animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-07-03/warner-bros-japan-plans-u.s-theatrical-release-for-haikara-san-ga-tooru-films/.118401

It'll be out on home video about a year after the Japanese home video release, 6 months at the least, but it is getting a theatrical exhibition. I know that when I saw In This Corner of the World that was maybe 2-3 months back and now it's out Blu ray/DVD now!

I could have sworn I saw a trailer for the first Gekijōban film online or in-theater... Maybe when I saw No Game, No Life Zero because that's the last anime feature I saw in-theater...

P.S. -- They REALLY need to come up with a decent English title for this. I wonder what they could come up with that's close enough in meaning to the Japanese 'because the Japanese title is overly wordy and awkward (which I've noticed for about half the anime features out there)!

Goes without saying that this is a GREAT time to be a fan of anime features. I think if anything, the situation with anime features is MUCH better now than 10 years ago when the only reliable, consistent directors were Satoshi Kon (RIP) and Hayao Miyazaki.

Obviously, there's a good crop of directors now because most of the last few recent films that I've seen have been EXCELLENT. I'd say I've been happier now with the theatrical features than many of the more recent TV series and I definitely couldn't have said that 10 years ago!
TheKillerAngel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I just saw this one in theaters. It was actually really funny.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:05 am Reply with quote
I also saw this at the local Alamo Drafthouse yesterday with my 72-year old father and we both really enjoyed it. It was fun and funny. I haven't read the manga but, although I wanted to see the montage bit expanded, I didn't feel like I missed anything.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:34 am Reply with quote
So I finally bought the Blu-Ray for this and watched it, and it's hilarious! I love it! But I did notice one problem: Certain scenes in the movie seemed to dim in terms of brightness all by itself, which was completely jarring to me. It didn't happen often, but the difference in brightness was enough for me to notice it. I checked the settings on my Blu-Ray player and I couldn't find anything involving auto dimming and auto contrast in order to rectify the problem, and when I played a DVD on said player, it didn't dim at all. I'm wondering if this problem is just restricted to the Haikara-san blu ray itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1