• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2019 Hot Gimmick, Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Precure Movies Slated

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
A Hot Gimmick movie?
....Why the heck would someone make a Hot Gimmick movie?

It is literally the worst long-running shoujo manga I have ever read. The main girl exists only to make poor choices and two of her three potential love interests spoiler[(including the one she winds up with)] are horrifyingly abusive. I loaned the first omnibus volume to a friend and she was so disgusted she couldn't keep reading.

There are so many good shoujo manga out there that should've been adapted into live action before this one. I feel bad for the actors who will have to make this dreck work.
discoha21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:10 am Reply with quote
I agree. Why a Hot Gimmick movie Sad
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:14 am Reply with quote
What could Gekijō-ban Shin Super Sentai be about?
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:45 am Reply with quote
7PhoenixAshes wrote:
A Hot Gimmick movie?

Because it's popular? It's fine if you don't like it, but women like that kind of stuff.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:58 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
7PhoenixAshes wrote:
A Hot Gimmick movie?

Because it's popular? It's fine if you don't like it, but there are some women who like that kind of stuff.

Fixed it for you. Although I’m not one of those women, so I’m also in the “oh god why” camp.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:17 am Reply with quote
Is Hot Gimmick that controversial to the point it overrides the other announced titles? No, I'm not complaining about your behavior, just the sudden discussion about it makes me wondering...
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
Yes, HG is THAT bad. It is the poorest excuse for entertainment in ink. It unfortunately IS popular and it horrifies me thinking about why. I hope the movie gets cancelled before it can get done.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I wish Toei would finally announce release dates for the Sailor Moon Crystal Dream arc movie. We've been waiting two years now for it.
JB_Gra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
I knew there would be people complaining about the HG movie even if it's been a while since they announced it.

But I agree with you. It was terrible and a lot of female anime/manga fans feel the same. This mangaka in general is not good at storytelling.

I hope for the movie to be unsuccessful too.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
Oh...so I guess I'm in the minority about being excited about a Hot Gimmick movie.
I like trash and Hot Gimmick was incredibly entertaining trash. I enjoy hating Ryoki for being an abusive pig and judging Hatsumi for being utterly incapable of making a smart decision.
But then again I also like Twilight so...
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:15 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Oh...so I guess I'm in the minority about being excited about a Hot Gimmick movie.
I like trash and Hot Gimmick was incredibly entertaining trash. I enjoy hating Ryoki for being an abusive pig and judging Hatsumi for being utterly incapable of making a smart decision.

Nobody's more critical of women than other women. All the women who loved Twilight or 50 Shades back in the day got so much hate from progressives for it, it's not surprising that vocal minority crosses over with anime/manga as well.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Quark wrote:

Nobody's more critical of women than other women. All the women who loved Twilight or 50 Shades back in the day got so much hate from progressives for it, it's not surprising that vocal minority crosses over with anime/manga as well.

If you are hate reading it though then do you really like it? I finished it all the way through myself but I wouldn't say I liked it. Miki Aihara's art style is nice I was drawn to that to look at it in the first place but the story is bad and the characters are bad I would only tell people it was bad. I would say I genuinely liked Honey Hunt which is another series by Miki Aihara so I feel like there is really a difference. Reading Hot Gimmick feels like when you are watching a horror movie at home and you are yelling at the idiot characters on the screen to not make terrible choices that will get them killed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1