• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Organizers Say Comiket is No Place for Hate Speech After Anti-Korean, Chinese Stickers Wer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-SP-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The existence of the stickers was first reported by several Twitter users on December 31, although no photos were circulated.

Hmm no pictures? Normally for something like this people would have used to photos to make a huge ordeal out of it.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
This isn't exactly new. Some circles actively refuse to sell to you if you're American. Laughing I've seen more than a few anti-gaijin notices in Japan, but nobody ever makes a big deal about those ones. It's only Korea/China stuff that gets' people riled up.

Chrono1000 wrote:
A single doujin circle doing something bigoted that leads to Comiket changing their rules shouldn't immediately lead to a lecture on Japan. That is an unfair generalization of an entire nation of people.

The poster might be Korean, given the source of the videos. It could be a personal thing to them.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:47 pm Reply with quote
-SP- wrote:
Quote:
The existence of the stickers was first reported by several Twitter users on December 31, although no photos were circulated.

Hmm no pictures? Normally for something like this people would have used to photos to make a huge ordeal out of it.

As the person mentions in the tweet featured in the article, no pictures were allowed so they couldn’t get evidence. Photography at Comiket circles is normally strictly forbidden.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

As the person mentions in the tweet featured in the article, no pictures were allowed so they couldn’t get evidence. Photography at Comiket circles is normally strictly forbidden.

That's weird. I see people posting photograph of Comiket circles all the time. Even by the circle owners themselves, usually to (proudly) show that their doujins have sold out.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a "doujin circle?" Is it a group of doujin artists in the same fandom, or just a group that is collaborating, or something else?
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is a "doujin circle?" Is it a group of doujin artists in the same fandom, or just a group that is collaborating, or something else?

It's a group of collaborative artist. They can make a book (doujinshi, can be manga or artbook), game (doujinsoft), figure (garage kit), music/Vocaloid (doujin music), and more type of doujin. That said, doujin circle can be only consist of one person.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:

A circle is a team of people working on a doujinshi project together. People who frequently collaborate together on doujinshi often pick a name to represent themselves as a group. It's basically a handle for a particular group of people, but it can also be a single person if they want to do it alone. One person can be part of multiple circles, but you might only enjoy a person's work when they collaborate with another creator in particular. Think of it like the musicians Slash and Duff McKagen being in both the bands Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver.
Zapdos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
No problem to the Chinese and Korean. They can always find the pirate version of the circle's doujin.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
That's weird. I see people posting photograph of Comiket circles all the time. Even by the circle owners themselves, usually to (proudly) show that their doujins have sold out.

Those people shouldn't be doing that. And the circles doing it usually only photograph their own booth and make sure to censor and mark out any other people that might be in the photograph. If you're seeing people post uncensored photographs of people at Comiket then that's a problem.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:28 am Reply with quote
I don't even get the point of such messages? I mean, as an artist wouldn't you want to sell to the largest customer base possible? Wouldn't 'even people from abroad appreciate my art' be a source of pride? It's like inflicting harm on yourself. So masochistic! Maybe masochism is an otaku thing, judging from the proliferation of abusive tsundere.
Banjo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:09 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
I mean, as an artist wouldn't you want to sell to the largest customer base possible? Wouldn't 'even people from abroad appreciate my art' be a source of pride?

it depends on the artist.. sometimes you want your comic to reach certain audience.. other times you just hate X people for whatever personal reasons you have so in the end you don't want them to read your stuff.. I know some fan artists like that.. one of them said that Americans have ****y taste in anime and their cartoon network junk fits them better so in the end he decided not to publish his comics in English speaking fan sites. Laughing
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
This isn't exactly new. Some circles actively refuse to sell to you if you're American. Laughing I've seen more than a few anti-gaijin notices in Japan, but nobody ever makes a big deal about those ones. It's only Korea/China stuff that gets' people riled up.

Chrono1000 wrote:
A single doujin circle doing something bigoted that leads to Comiket changing their rules shouldn't immediately lead to a lecture on Japan. That is an unfair generalization of an entire nation of people.

The poster might be Korean, given the source of the videos. It could be a personal thing to them.

To be fair, in many cases, where one sees "No Gaijin" signs, whether it be geared towards, other Asian or western nations, it is not always a case or nationalism or racism, but often at times, the owners cannot speak Chinese, Korean, English, Dutch, or ancient Sumerian. The number of places I have seen and owners I have known who refuse service for foreigners is a lot, and many times because of the aggravation when it comes down to the language barrier is often too stressful or not worth the effort. Being half-Japanese/half American, and much older, I've had Japanese biz owners try to get uppity with my guests a few times, and had to vouch for them as well, and things smooth over pretty well.

Then when it comes to known known acquaintances, I've spent enough time at certain ramen shops that refuse service to foreigners, when said foreigner starts speaking relatively native Japanese, the owners back off, apologize and make an exception. There is a lot to be said about language barriers. That is not to say that is always the case. People do have different personal experience with foreigners. It's no so much xenophobia as it a communications issues in many instances.

Lord Oink wrote:

Yeah, Americans usually do. They are often the first ones to scream racism. Britts, Aussies and Canadians usually come in a close second, third and forth respectably. And, it's a two way street, you will hear a lot of Anti-Japanese rhetoric in S. Korea and China as well Anime smile
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
I don't even get the point of such messages? I mean, as an artist wouldn't you want to sell to the largest customer base possible? Wouldn't 'even people from abroad appreciate my art' be a source of pride? It's like inflicting harm on yourself. So masochistic! Maybe masochism is an otaku thing, judging from the proliferation of abusive tsundere.

Xenophobic and language barrier aside. Most artist in Comiket are against mass exposure for their work except for originals due to the nature and restraint of derivative doujin (no mass exposure). It's fine if you buy their works (whether directly or through mail order/auction), but not so much if you upload their works to pirate site since it counts as the artist as the ones who did the mass exposure and will be the one who get lawsuit if the company ever decide to sue. What language do you find the most in those websites? Chinese, Korean, English.

Of course not every Chinese/Korean come to pirate doujins in fact, many of them are actually participate as artist.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
I know some fan artists like that.. one of them said that Americans have ****y taste in anime and their cartoon network junk fits them better so in the end he decided not to publish his comics in English speaking fan sites. Laughing

Wow, good riddance then. Like we need an artist with a crap attitude like that publishing his garbage comics for us to see.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Banjo wrote:
Sherris wrote:
I mean, as an artist wouldn't you want to sell to the largest customer base possible? Wouldn't 'even people from abroad appreciate my art' be a source of pride?

it depends on the artist.. sometimes you want your comic to reach certain audience.. other times you just hate X people for whatever personal reasons you have so in the end you don't want them to read your stuff.. I know some fan artists like that.. one of them said that Americans have ****y taste in anime and their cartoon network junk fits them better so in the end he decided not to publish his comics in English speaking fan sites. Laughing

Well, he's not wrong. Mostly, anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2