• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tetsuya Nomura Reconsiders Future Simultaneous Worldwide Releases After Kingdom Hearts III Leak

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He said he was mainly disappointed beceause [sic] the leak would make fans who were looking forward to the game sad.

And limiting the accessibility of future games in other countries wouldn't?

I understand that his disappointment in the overall response is greater than I can possibly imagine. But this sounds like an emotional outcry from him than anything. It feels he's needlessly punishing the West for the actions of a single source in a single country, all in the name of retaining at least Japan's enjoyment of his work; I can't imagine how separating physical release dates like this would help in the event a future leak comes from Japan.

I hope in his reconsideration, he takes into account how the leak impacts us all.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, i guess he is in big trouble now,
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure how not doing worldwide releases would help prevent leaking. Leaks would probably have gone around like wildfire before we get the game since Japan gets it tomorrow anyway. All you really need is tighter management.
Jakerams

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
Quote:
He said he was mainly disappointed beceause [sic] the leak would make fans who were looking forward to the game sad.

And limiting the accessibility of future games in other countries wouldn't?

I understand that his disappointment in the overall response is greater than I can possibly imagine. But this sounds like an emotional outcry from him than anything. It feels he's needlessly punishing the West for the actions of a single source in a single country, all in the name of retaining at least Japan's enjoyment of his work; I can't imagine how separating physical release dates like this would help in the event a future leak comes from Japan.

I hope in his reconsideration, he takes into account how the leak impacts us all.
Considering people are purposely leaking information with the intent of ruining the game for others I wouldn't blame them to ship physical copies after launch from now on. And as for Japan it's still possible they could have a leak but they aren't the ones who did so this time so it's not fair to punish them as well.

Because of these leaks I had to use spoiler blockers, change youtube accounts(youtube kept recommending me KH3 leaks), switch google accounts on mobile, use threads less often, stay off or unsubscribe from some social media stuff. So I can understand how it makes people sad that the game was leaked.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I think Disney wouldn't like that.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I mean... far more people would be spoiled on the game from it actually being released before they can play it.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't this seem to imply that he cares more about his Japanese fans than overseas ones? Like, better make sure the Japanese fans aren't affected. Who cares if releasing the game in Japan well before the rest of the world is probably worse than a leak of 4 copies as long as no one in Japan gets spoiled.

Then there's the fact that the Japanese can leak games too. Though it's true that it's probably less likely with a more limited initial release.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
If I don't live in japan and like the franchise fudge me right? thanks. Because japanese people would never spoil anything right? they care so much about spoilers.
pikkuhukka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
If I don't live in japan and like the franchise fudge me right? thanks. Because japanese people would never spoil anything right? they care so much about spoilers.

they actually dont lol
Pandsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this logic really doesn't make much sense and to me it seems more like he's trying to make people feel more guilty for having leaked stuff. You know, like this is some kind of lesson or punishment and they better not do it again or he'll take away (or... delay) our games.

Seems pretty immature, really.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
pikkuhukka wrote:
FackuIkari wrote:

they actually dont lol

But a westerner with moderate japanese skills will play the game ahead of everyone else and make a rudimentary summary/text translation, the events of which will be spread around during the wait for release (see: danganronpa v3.)
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
That's not going to prevent spoilers. This is a workaround to say I don't care that much about international fans without actually saying it. I'd like it if he was more honest about how he feels.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
I mean... far more people would be spoiled on the game from it actually being released before they can play it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Worldwide simultaneous releases help lessen the chance of early and/or unwanted spoilers, if anything.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
So, Nomura thinks that people will be less inclined to pirate the game if it's released in Japan first? Because it is being released in Japan first and it was pirated. Just saying...
so751

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I think people may be blowing this a bit out of proportion. He said he's reconsidering simultaneous release. Reconsidering could mean what everyone's thinking now, which is to not do simultaneous release. Reconsidering could also mean reconsidering the process of simultaneous releasing, which clearly in this scenario needed improvement to prevent such leaks from happening. Something they could consider is, knowing the international fame this game has, to build out a project timeline that incorporates localization of the game regularly into the schedule without having the game ready for just Japan first.

Also, I don't believe some people are referring to "leaking" correctly - Japan getting the game first and putting info online technically isn't leaking. It's not like KH3 is any longer legally confidential since it's been officially released, just not worldwide. People can choose to just learn Japanese and play the game early. Japanese people or people in general knowing Japanese choosing to upload info on KH3 online are free to do so, and legally, now that the game's been officially released in Japan. Those 4 copies of the game that were out in the market in December, and the people who bought those copies and put info online; that's leaking because the game has not been released officially anywhere yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2