• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Manga Bookstore Comic Takaoka to Close After a Century of Service

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The bookstore explained that it was closing due to "a recession in publishing, influenced by the permeation of e-books."

I mean, this makes sense, even for physical books it's simpler to just order them online and either get them delivered straight home or to a close by pickup point. Sad to see an era end, but the writing was on the wall...

Though one thing you'll miss is going through a store with all its shelves and displays and coming across something unexpected that picks your fancy. That's a bit hard to do on an online store.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
It's not as well stocked as some book shops, but it's decent. It's a bit out of the way though. If I'm going to Jinbocho it's usually for out of print books and magazines, not new manga or illustration collections. I think having a massive bookshop like Shosen Grande just around the corner selling pretty much the same stuff, only with a much larger range, probably didn't help. Still it's a bit of a shame. The obscure shops are what makes Jinbocho a fun place to shop and explore.
Spooky Blades

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Thats a shame over a century old and its going to be gone Sad
RyumuruJireyes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
That's sad Sad I love the feeling of going into book stores and checking out physical copies of manga and comics. I hope the ones who own the shop find success in all other ways; all day every day.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
The internet is obviously being hard on booksellers in two ways: it tends to favor megamerchants like Amazon, and it allows for physical books to be replaced by downloads. But I do think there's a niche that is not being well addressed online and that smart booksellers would do well to address it.

That niche is a "hole" of sorts, covering a lot of content from the early 1900s through the early 1990s. Anything and everything newer than that is online. And an awful lot of the older works are online as well: scans of rare works are available from reference libraries freely without copyright issues, and classic works of literature are widely reprinted as well as being available online. Project Gutenberg, and similar programs, freely share works as well. But that range I specified isn't covered so well. A lot of it is within copyright so things like Project Gutenberg cannot freely share it. And it's not new enough for it to be widely online. Of course, popular works from well regarded authors from that time period are widely reprinted, but that's only a handful of the books from that time period. There's an awful lot of material from that time frame which you just cannot get without a physical book. Basically, anything that's still in copyright but isn't interesting enough to compete with the bestsellers is an under-served market right now.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Never been there, but sad to hear that.

This is why the whole e-/digital thing kinda pisses me off, call me old-school, but I'd prefer to get actual physical copies of a book, I just don't get this whole new digital thing, why not just get an actual book?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1