• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Bros. Develops Edge of Tomorrow Sequel Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Cool beans. I thought the story wrapped up nicely at the end of the first one so I'm not sure where they'll go outside of random adventures. Anyways, I liked this a lot when I saw it on Netflix. My favorite live-action anime/manga/whatever adaptation, closely followed by the Korean Jin-roh.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Cool beans. I thought the story wrapped up nicely at the end of the first one so I'm not sure where they'll go outside of random adventures. Anyways, I liked this a lot when I saw it on Netflix. My favorite live-action anime/manga/whatever adaptation, closely followed by the Korean Jin-roh.

Honestly, the source material could have used a sequel far more than the Hollywood version.
If I recall correctly spoiler['all you need is kill' ended with the main character Keiji killing Rita to end the loop after all the mimics were destroyed. However, all that was won was a single battle and the war was still ongoing. Keiji resolves to continue fighting to protect the world Rita loved but had to die for and painted his mech blue because she loved the sky in contrast to her red mech which she hated the colour of but did so in order to draw fire]
The movie really didn't imply there was anything beyond this and would have been an excellent endpoint...
I suppose neither actually 'needed' a sequel but I'd really have liked a sequel to the source a lot more.
That said I'm not very optimistic about a sequel, Edge of Tomorrow was, in my opinion, a rare case of making large changes to novel/manga that actually turned out well.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for this sequel novel. Looks like it's still unfinished oh
(Would be great if Obata drew new adaptation too, but I think he's too busy with Platinum End rn)
MeisterMitch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

Honestly, the source material could have used a sequel far more than the Hollywood version.
If I recall correctly spoiler['all you need is kill' ended with the main character Keiji killing Rita to end the loop after all the mimics were destroyed. However, all that was won was a single battle and the war was still ongoing. Keiji resolves to continue fighting to protect the world Rita loved but had to die for and painted his mech blue because she loved the sky in contrast to her red mech which she hated the colour of but did so in order to draw fire]
The movie really didn't imply there was anything beyond this and would have been an excellent endpoint...
I suppose neither actually 'needed' a sequel but I'd really have liked a sequel to the source a lot more.
That said I'm not very optimistic about a sequel, Edge of Tomorrow was, in my opinion, a rare case of making large changes to novel/manga that actually turned out well.

Now we just have to keep our fingers crossed for a Sequel to Alita: Battle Angel
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes! This would only mean they would have to follow their own story instead of the manga route. Just as long as we don't end up on with repetitive storyline.
MeisterMitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:11 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

No love for Alita?
#Marc123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:29 am Reply with quote
I really hope that there will be also a continuation of the manga (or novel). All you need is kill is seriously my favourite manga of all time
meruru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
What's with these people and really sucking at titles? Edge of Tomorrow sounds like slapping some cool sounding words together in no relation to what's in the movie. Then they tried to retroactively change it to Live, Die, Repeat which is like the opposite direction, so ridiculously literal. Live, Die, Repeat and Repeat is even more ridiculous for being even more literal - - let's do Live, Die, Repeat as long as it's successful on Netflix.

I saw it, and liked it, having no idea it was a Japanese IP, though I suppose I should have guessed from the mecha. Doubt I'll see the sequel though, for various reasons.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:57 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
What's with these people and really sucking at titles? Edge of Tomorrow sounds like slapping some cool sounding words together in no relation to what's in the movie. Then they tried to retroactively change it to Live, Die, Repeat which is like the opposite direction, so ridiculously literal. Live, Die, Repeat and Repeat is even more ridiculous for being even more literal - - let's do Live, Die, Repeat as long as it's successful on Netflix.

I saw it, and liked it, having no idea it was a Japanese IP, though I suppose I should have guessed from the mecha. Doubt I'll see the sequel though, for various reasons.

well 'edge of tomorrow' and 'Live, Die, Repeat and Repeat' aren't too far from the manga/novel's original name 'All you need is kill'
In fact 'Edge of tomorrow' sounds the coolest, 'All you need is kill' is pretty weird and not very informative if you don't know what the plot is but 'Live, Die, Repeat and Repeat' is very awkward but the most literal.
I think they could have done without the extra 'repeat' tacked on at the end.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Calsolum"]
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

I don't recall if the movie touches on it directly, but in the novel it's implied that spoiler[the mimics are actually biological weapons that were deployed into the oceans to terraform Earth for a civilization of alien invaders that are still decades away from reaching the planet, who were unaware that Earth was occupied by intelligent life.]
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:57 pm Reply with quote
MeisterMitch wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

No love for Alita?

I have love for it, I just like those two more.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
It´s true then that the film made a killing in digital and Blu-ray sales then. I would obviously watch a sequel if the premise and trailers are good but the studio better keep the production levels intact. No one wants another Pacific Rim Uprising situation, not that i saw that sequel. No one did... Good luck WB, you may need it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1