• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Manga Market Grows 1.9% in 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see the link to the graph shown in the article (I cannot read it since it is too small).

In my impression since the revenue of digital manga sales goes directly or almost directly to the publisher, since there is no printing cost, the fall in physical manga sales means that the net revenues of manga publishing must have increased much more than 1.9%.

That is, for an example suppose you have 3 forms of manga distribution: digital, magazine and tankobon. With digital about 90% of the sales revenue goes to the publisher, in tankobon, about 60% and in magazine about 30% (these numbers are assumptions).

Back in the 1990's manga sales were 550 billion yen but 300 billion were magazines and 250 billion from tankobons, using my assumptions of revenue distribution, only 90 billion yen went to publishers from magazines and 150 billion yen from tankobons, so publisher revenues from manga were only 240 billion yen. Today manga sales are about 440 billion yen, but if 200 billion are digital, 150 billion tankobons and 90 billion magazines (as circulation now is about 30% of the 1990s level), then 297 billion yen goes to publishers, an increase over the 1990s revenues even though the total manga market shrank.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
melton80

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
This is just pointing out something that should be common sense at this time in history, people in other countries cant just pick up physical copies of a magazine only printed in japan but they can easily buy and download it from the internet, this change isnt something anyone should be surprised by
Steve Minecraft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:19 am Reply with quote
melton80 wrote:
This is just pointing out something that should be common sense at this time in history, people in other countries cant just pick up physical copies of a magazine only printed in japan but they can easily buy and download it from the internet, this change isnt something anyone should be surprised by

You just described why companies are so quick to push for a digital only future. Gotta get rid of that nasty second-hand market.
evandro_pedro96

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
I would like to see the link to the graph shown in the article (I cannot read it since it is too small).

In my impression since the revenue of digital manga sales goes directly or almost directly to the publisher, since there is no printing cost, the fall in physical manga sales means that the net revenues of manga publishing must have increased much more than 1.9%.

That is, for an example suppose you have 3 forms of manga distribution: digital, magazine and tankobon. With digital about 90% of the sales revenue goes to the publisher, in tankobon, about 60% and in magazine about 30% (these numbers are assumptions).

Back in the 1990's manga sales were 550 billion yen but 300 billion were magazines and 250 billion from tankobons, using my assumptions of revenue distribution, only 90 billion yen went to publishers from magazines and 150 billion yen from tankobons, so publisher revenues from manga were only 240 billion yen. Today manga sales are about 440 billion yen, but if 200 billion are digital, 150 billion tankobons and 90 billion magazines (as circulation now is about 30% of the 1990s level), then 297 billion yen goes to publishers, an increase over the 1990s revenues even though the total manga market shrank.

There link is right at the end of the article
Ushio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Is the digital market more direct downloads of collected volumes or more like digital versions of the magazines.

Since the magazines are where new creators and manga get the chance to actually make money.

Sure webcomics can work ONE has shown that with one punch man and mob psycho but the magazines are better for the starting artists than relying on the word of mouth as it were nature of webcomics.
Gooddogg195

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Why they don't tell us the revenues that they get with apps??a lot of people in japan nowdays read manga trough apps like Renta,line manga,Comik, I'm pretty sure that with the manga app revenue they're making more money that they did in the peak sells,if not the same thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1