• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - A Wooloo for You

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm just hoping the Grandia games get better voice acting this time around. The voice acting in the original game was...pretty bad, to say the least.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Nice, finally some news about the Grandia remaster. I was literally just wondering if it was ever going to come out! Now I have a reason to look forward to E3 Razz

As for Pokemon Sword/Shield, I'm on Team Zamazenta here. Their "shield" is actually part of their body whereas Zacian is simply... holding a sword. If Zamazenta is "trying too hard", then Zacian is just lazy.

TBH, I'm not too crazy about either Legendary, nor the starters. I really like the setting this time, though, as well as some of the other details that have been shown so far. Now that I've settled on which version to get, time to go into spoiler avoidance mode (if that's even possible with Pokemon) until they release.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:56 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I'm just hoping the Grandia games get better voice acting this time around. The voice acting in the original game was...pretty bad, to say the least.

Well it was PS1 game, can't really fault it for that. Grandia 2 had shitty compression for the voice but they had great VA, especially Millenia.

I liked Grandia 1/2, (3 was awful and extreme was crazy repetitive). I sorta agree on combat being really great but it was severely hamstring being just being too ridiculously easy, once you got the move that can cancel enemy attack to be instantaneous you were guaranteed to win any fight.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
-Pokemon: Yeah, all's looking pretty good. Zacian is probably going to be my pick because I love sword-wielding dogs (hey, Amaterasu). GameXplain actually put up an analysis recently and they came to this conclusion about the game: the Wild Area is the only place where pokemon are roaming free. Can't say I can find any fault with that, not from what we've seen elsewhere. Still, FLOOF

-Genesis Mini: I'm fine with the lineup. Definitely better than the PS Mini's disastrous lineup.

-Shenmue: Yeah, remaining skeptical on this.

And next up: E3, where I await what surprises Nintendo will have
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:15 am Reply with quote
I'm always glad to see Grandia 2 get a re-release, especially with how borky the PS2 port was. There were so many fight sequences where enemies would just... lose their textures and turn into weird grey models. So weird. But that port also had solid cut-scenes and acting from the entire Metal Gear Solid cast, also The Lady What Did Ariel In The Little Mermaid.

Also: I'm a sucker for redheads, but I'm not horribly inspired by Kasumi in Persona 5 Royal. She physically reminds me too much of FeMC from P3P (who got thrown under the bus and didn't come back to Persona until just now with Persona Q2), her costume looks to me too similar to Joker's costume, and I'm worried she'll pull a Marie and have a really badly-written story (or worse: they'll pull an Ann and give her a decent story, then completely forget the moral of the story). Such a shame, because even if her design is too similar to other Persona characters, it's still a good design. Whattaya doin', Persona Studios...
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:54 am Reply with quote
Pokemon Sun and Moon announcement: Man, this is incredibly cool! These Dynamax mechanic are pretty sure stupid, i miss Mega Evolution when it was a big damn important thingy. Sad

Genesis Mini Games Announcement: These games line-up in Japan are really better, but damn the NA/EU line-up are incredibly annoying. I prefer emulation over console and mini-console.

R-Type 2 on Kickstarter: Not looking bad at all.

Grandia coming to PC and Switch: I am looking pleased about this, i wonder how this new concept will look like.

Shenmue III delayed to November: Shame

New character in Persona 5: She looks incredibly cool and nice girl, i wonder how she has an supernatrual power for? Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:27 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

Also: I'm a sucker for redheads, but I'm not horribly inspired by Kasumi in Persona 5 Royal. She physically reminds me too much of FeMC from P3P (who got thrown under the bus and didn't come back to Persona until just now with Persona Q2),

To be pretty fair though canonically her character is basically an alt of the original P3 protagonist so of course they've had some "difficulty reintroducing her into newer stuff....not helped by the fact that the main character(s) of Persona 3 are dead in the canon proper. Which is why they can use them in the Dancing games but not the fighting games.

FinalVentCard wrote:

her costume looks to me too similar to Joker's costume,

Outside of the jacket and glove's it's not too similar. Though it's not particular good either.

Aca Vuksa wrote:
Pokemon Sun and Moon announcement: Man, this is incredibly cool! These Dynamax mechanic are pretty sure stupid, i miss Mega Evolution when it was a big damn important thingy. Sad

Mega Evolution will likely be in this game just like it was in Sun & Moon.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 am Reply with quote
You all think Wooloo's cute now, but wait until it gets it's Evolution and it become a monstrous goat. If it gets one that is.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Anytime a new Pokémon game comes out, it's an event. We talk about Super Mario Odyssey being the Switch's best-selling and most critically-acclaimed game (it sold 13 million copies worldwide, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe overtook Odyssey for the title of best-selling game by selling 16 million). I have a feeling Sword and Shield combined will overtake both Mario games in critical acclaim and sales when it's released.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:26 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Anytime a new Pokémon game comes out, it's an event. We talk about Super Mario Odyssey being the Switch's best-selling and most critically-acclaimed game (it sold 13 million copies worldwide, but Mario Kart 8 Deluxe overtook Odyssey for the title of best-selling game by selling 16 million). I have a feeling Sword and Shield combined will overtake both Mario games in critical acclaim and sales when it's released.

That wouldn't be too bold of a gut feeling; Pokémon is the top-grossing multimedia franchise in the world, and as far as RPGs go it's outsold even Dragon Quest.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:35 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:

That wouldn't be too bold of a gut feeling; Pokémon is the top-grossing multimedia franchise in the world, and as far as RPGs go it's outsold even Dragon Quest.

DragonQuest has never been massively popular outside of asia though. A better example would've been Final Fantasy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1