• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Responds to Sailor Moon Sailor Stars Anime's Booklet Errors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:04 am Reply with quote
Other than the new dub by Studiopolis, Viz just cannot get the SM release(s) right at all, can they? Poor video quality, defective discs, terrible packaging, print errors, those horrendous live streams from the staff... This franchise deserved better than Viz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:08 am Reply with quote
The video quality has generally improved since SuperS as Viz has switched over to using the Japan BD upscale masters. Besides this one error, I'm not aware of any other major issues with Sailor Stars. I'm glad they're offering a replacement but you would think this is something they would check over before sending this out to customers.
beholder242

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
The only complaints I really have about Viz's Sailor Moon releases are that they put the episode teaser after the OP instead of before (I had the fansubs on VHS back in the day which had these two things in the right order and every time I watch an episode with my family it always feels wrong to see the OP before the teaser), and that the lyrics in OP are not completely translated. The lyrics alternate between English and romanji, as do many releases these days, but the next to last line is always in Japanese. I can't recall if the OP has another un-translated line in it besides that one. Other than that, the releases are very good and look great for being a 25+ year-old show.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:
The only complaints I really have about Viz's Sailor Moon releases are that they put the episode teaser after the OP instead of before (I had the fansubs on VHS back in the day which had these two things in the right order and every time I watch an episode with my family it always feels wrong to see the OP before the teaser), and that the lyrics in OP are not completely translated.

I can't speak for Stars since I don't have it yet but they started using the Japanese upscaled masters for the SuperS discs and as a result, the teasers for that season are back in their proper place as opposed to what's still on Hulu.

As for this booklet error, expect more "Call WB Customer Service" nonsense like with the two R sets.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll have you send your copy back in the mail to get an exchange or if they just will ask for a proof of purchase.
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Viz ought to explain the horrible job they did on the 2nd Urusei Yatsura manga volume.
merr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Theodore Relic wrote:
Maybe Viz ought to explain the horrible job they did on the 2nd Urusei Yatsura manga volume.

What happened with Urusei Yatsura?

(For that matter, what happened with Sailor Stars. The article is kind of vague. They messed up some lyrics in the booklet, but which song was it, and how was it messed up?)
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Theodore Relic wrote:

What happened with Urusei Yatsura?

(For that matter, what happened with Sailor Stars. The article is kind of vague. They messed up some lyrics in the booklet, but which song was it, and how was it messed up?)

I got vol. 2 from Comixology. I started reading the UY series when Viz began to do the localizations back in I think 1989, and soon after, bought the Japanese widebans which collected the entire series in 15 volumes.

I expected them to replace Gerard Jones as localizer (understandable, given his being jailed for being a pedo) but the localizations were just so bland, it's almost like they used the anime localizations Animeigo used as a guide and took the life out of them.

The books are around 400 pages long, around the size of the widebans so I expected them to replicate those. Nope. They printed them by dividing the books into two parts, like they were trying to reprint the standard tankobons. But then, they added around 10 or so pages of filler that focused on a particular character (in this volume's case, Shinobu and Cherry, which they devoted around 10 pages EACH). The chapters were horribly out of order.

For instance, you had the story where Ataru, realizing how Lum just went to bat for him (once again), decides to hold her hand and walk with her. In the Japanese original that progressed into the story involving Ataru's diary. Here, they shoehorned a story from the first volume where it made no sense (the drunken fox spirit).

Worst of all, one of the stories was literally missing four pages in the middle of it! Specifically, the drunken fox story.

Considering how Viz is wanting to use this title to relaunch UY, historically their worst-selling title (but one of my all-time favorite manga), this was clearly not the way to do it. I've been looking around to see if anyone else was talking about this mess, but found nothing.

Maybe it's just because I'm a very long-time reader of this series, but paying $10.99 for digital for this really upset me, and really burned me out of buying more. I still have the wideban set I bought nearly 30 years ago, so I'll just stick with them.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Well here's a major error...

https://twitter.com/SailorMoon_QOTD/status/1141109212472209408

At Anime Expo 2016, Toei had a character chart promoting Crystal season 3 and the "Friendship" tag with Uranus & Neptune was where it originally came from but when Viz and Madman later released S on video, only Madman kept "Friendship" in their booklet while Viz changed it to "Partners" so they basically went and used Toei's original description of them for Stars.
bluesheep02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The video quality has generally improved since SuperS as Viz has switched over to using the Japan BD upscale masters. Besides this one error, I'm not aware of any other major issues with Sailor Stars. I'm glad they're offering a replacement but you would think this is something they would check over before sending this out to customers.

I’ve collected all the BD releases so far here in japan and imported all the releases from Viz so far and I can definitively say while the masters improved in supers it’s still not the same quality as the BDs released in Japan.
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I wonder if they'll have you send your copy back in the mail to get an exchange or if they just will ask for a proof of purchase.

If it's anything like the replacement discs from Sailor Moon R, you'll just need to call a number and give your info on where to ship the replacement.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Production errors are even more collectible.
Anyone have an "inverted Jenny" stamp? No? No big surprise. There are only ten and were all purchased by one man over years of careful searching and collecting. Those ten stamps are worth more than many small countries.
ShadowAssailantX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Theodore Relic wrote:

I got vol. 2 from Comixology. I started reading the UY series when Viz began to do the localizations back in I think 1989, and soon after, bought the Japanese widebans which collected the entire series in 15 volumes.

I expected them to replace Gerard Jones as localizer (understandable, given his being jailed for being a pedo) but the localizations were just so bland, it's almost like they used the anime localizations Animeigo used as a guide and took the life out of them.

The books are around 400 pages long, around the size of the widebans so I expected them to replicate those. Nope. They printed them by dividing the books into two parts, like they were trying to reprint the standard tankobons. But then, they added around 10 or so pages of filler that focused on a particular character (in this volume's case, Shinobu and Cherry, which they devoted around 10 pages EACH). The chapters were horribly out of order.

For instance, you had the story where Ataru, realizing how Lum just went to bat for him (once again), decides to hold her hand and walk with her. In the Japanese original that progressed into the story involving Ataru's diary. Here, they shoehorned a story from the first volume where it made no sense (the drunken fox spirit).

Worst of all, one of the stories was literally missing four pages in the middle of it! Specifically, the drunken fox story.

Considering how Viz is wanting to use this title to relaunch UY, historically their worst-selling title (but one of my all-time favorite manga), this was clearly not the way to do it. I've been looking around to see if anyone else was talking about this mess, but found nothing.

Maybe it's just because I'm a very long-time reader of this series, but paying $10.99 for digital for this really upset me, and really burned me out of buying more. I still have the wideban set I bought nearly 30 years ago, so I'll just stick with them.

There are 3 different editions of the series released in Japan. The ones we are getting are based on the 3rd (shinsoban) release, except released as 2-in-ones. The chapter order reflects the original tanks order. It was the 2nd release that changed up the chapter order to the one you're familiar with. Im not sure which one is using the original Shonen unday ordering, but I would imagine it's the tanks as they came out first. It was probably the widebans that moved things around and added extra pages.
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm super sad at all the issues these releases have been through. I love Sailor Moon and it's finally uncut release should be better.
horseradish

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:53 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2