• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - California Crisis

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calibrator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
Looks totally radical!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
OMG!! I remember this!! Well, just goes to show you how old I am. A close friend of mine got this from tape trade thing. He hated it. It was mainly because he was a big fan of the whole late 80's law, called the "5 tones of shading", which you saw quite a big during the last half of the 80s until the early 90s. Then came California Crisis. We had no clue what the film was about, and the fact that the art style was something to get used to. Again when you deal with the "5 tones of shading" you don't outline it. California Crisis was one of those new never heard before OVAs that came out that sort of presented itself as something different. You either liked it or you felt it looked too busy. I can't really say much about the story because all I knew was it was about two people who ended up with this mysterious globe and how they protecting it at any course until you reached the end.

Now this is a title that does deserve Discotek's attention because I'm sure someone out there, such as OS fan collectors would be interested in buying this. At the same time it could be a risk when trying to sell it. I wouldn't mind seeing this now with proper subtitling. Chances are I'd probably buy it just because it was a blast from my past.
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Julian took some lessons from Yang in the first screencap Laughing
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
This isn't the first time I've heard of "California Crisis:Gun Salvo." I've read about this in "The Anime Encyclopedia." More recently,the Anime Review and T.H.E.M. Anime Review did things on it. There are those who think that this would be right up my alley would probably be right.
This looks like a fascinating yet weird portrayal of America and that's something I've been fascinated by for years now. I hope that both Media Blasters or Discotek Media licenses this and brings it here. I'd love to see this dubbed into English. I think Mr. Sevakis did a good job with this thing.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
Looks like Julian took some lessons from Yang in the first screencap Laughing

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I can totally, but also totally can't see Julian becoming his stepfather in the future.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
The car is a 1955 Chrysler C300 or a 1956 Chrysler 300B. The only visible difference between the two are the tail fins, which aren't clear enough in the screenshot to determine.

However the Chrysler 300 didn't have a convertible version until the 1957 300C, which looked very different.

Cars like this have been made by enthusiasts though, but it's a very complicated job.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
This title definitely deserves a DVD release in North America. The art style really is pretty cool. Would definitely buy it if Discotek or someone picked it up.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese take on American culture/life is always fun (if sometimes scarily inaccurate) to watch. I might buy this if it were available on DVD and cheap. Anime hyper
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
This title definitely deserves a DVD release in North America. The art style really is pretty cool. Would definitely buy it if Discotek or someone picked it up.

Definitely needs a remaster first, is selling low quality VHS video on DVD a smart thing to do?
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
bravetailor wrote:

Definitely needs a remaster first, is selling low quality VHS video on DVD a smart thing to do?

There's also the problem that the original company that made it doesn't exist anymore, and its properties don't seem to be owned by anyone right now. Getting the rights to it might be a problem.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
The Japanese take on American culture/life is always fun (if sometimes scarily inaccurate) to watch.

They virtually have no clue about it, so I'd say it's mostly inaccurate.

I'm kind of surprised this wasn't ever released here. There is the distinct possibility we might have given Noera a surfer voice had it been dubbed. I just know it. XD
Galap

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
The Japanese take on American culture/life is always fun (if sometimes scarily inaccurate) to watch.

They virtually have no clue about it, so I'd say it's mostly inaccurate.

I'm kind of surprised this wasn't ever released here. There is the distinct possibility we might have given Noera a surfer voice had it been dubbed. I just know it. Anime hyper

It's obviously the only right choice. He has to be a surfer, and she has to be a valley girl.

Though it might be funnier if both of them have brooklyn accents or something Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, why aren't supah-cool OVAs like this made any more???
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
The car is a 1955 Chrysler C300 or a 1956 Chrysler 300B. The only visible difference between the two are the tail fins, which aren't clear enough in the screenshot to determine.

However the Chrysler 300 didn't have a convertible version until the 1957 300C, which looked very different.

Cars like this have been made by enthusiasts though, but it's a very complicated job.

Ah, that explains it. I thought I just couldn't find the right letter in the 300 series.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen California Crisis myself (I've been meaning to, but haven't yet), but from what I have heard about it, this has to be the best example of what the 80s OVA boom was about. There is no way in hell this title could have ever been made in any period of time other than the 80s, specifically during the OVA boom. The concept, look, & definitively non-Japanese focus would never be approved for creation by any means other than a person, or a group of people, spending their own money & getting it done themselves.

This is the epitome of the "Golden Age of Anime", to me. Granted, I'm not going off of overall actual quality of this time, per se, but rather it was because it really showcased how anything, truly anything, could have been made into an anime at that point in time. I love how unpredictable this time seemed to be, especially in the OVA market. Sure, a lot of it probably wasn't that good, but it's that openness is what really gets to me.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3