• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami Premieres gen:LOCK Animated Series on August 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised this ended up on Toonami before RWBY. Though it might be because RWBY doesnt have an actual plot until V3 spoiler[(and even then it's not that good)]

Edit: Then again GL, does have legit star power in it in the forms of Micahel B. Jordan, Dakota Fanning, Maise Williams, and David Tenant so it would probably be better for the block anyway since they could market that.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Kinda surprised this ended up on Toonami before RWBY. Though it might be because RWBY doesnt have an actual plot until V3 spoiler[(and even then it's not that good)]

Edit: Then again GL, does have legit star power in it in the forms of Micahel B. Jordan, Dakota Fanning, Maise Williams, and David Tenant so it would probably be better for the block anyway since they could market that.

keep in mind episodes of RWBY are short wheres this series episodes are a half an hour long, better fit for the line up
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
I always thought Genlock would be a perfect fit for Toonami. I'm glad to see it got picked up.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:11 am Reply with quote
Really? This over Mob Psycho 100 II and other better options?
IboughtYoulunch13times

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I gave it like 4 episodes. Not a good show.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:35 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

This acquisition is a case of corporate synergy. Thanks to AT&T's purchase of Time Warner, Adult Swim and Rooster Teeth have both been put into the same entertainment umbrella. And unlike how Warner Bros operated previously, where corporate synergy was openly shunned and the different branches were encouraged to compete with each other, AT&T wants these companies they own to play ball with each other. Hence Crunchyroll co-producing anime with Adult Swim and Rooster Teeth getting one of their shows on Toonami.

Plus, it's not like this was your only hope of getting MP100 S2 on Toonami. There are quite literally half a dozen other slots opening on the block between now and the end of the year, and only one other show (Demon Slayer) announced. That means five other opportunities for whatever anime you might want to get a chance.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
IboughtYoulunch13times wrote:
Yeah, I gave it like 4 episodes. Not a good show.

They aren’t just gonna cut it in the middle of its season. That’s not how this works.
ECW28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:28 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Zeino wrote:

This acquisition is a case of corporate synergy. Thanks to AT&T's purchase of Time Warner, Adult Swim and Rooster Teeth have both been put into the same entertainment umbrella. And unlike how Warner Bros operated previously, where corporate synergy was openly shunned and the different branches were encouraged to compete with each other, AT&T wants these companies they own to play ball with each other. Hence Crunchyroll co-producing anime with Adult Swim and Rooster Teeth getting one of their shows on Toonami.

Plus, it's not like this was your only hope of getting MP100 S2 on Toonami. There are quite literally half a dozen other slots opening on the block between now and the end of the year, and only one other show (Demon Slayer) announced. That means five other opportunities for whatever anime you might want to get a chance.

To tack on to this statement, between now and the end of the year, we’ve got:

-SAO Alicization ending

-AOT S3 ending (gen:LOCK replaces this)

-MHA S3 ending

-gen:LOCK itself ending

-DBS ending

-Gundam ending (Demon Slayer either replaces this or Super)

-Lupin ending

Five open slots (maybe four if they’re just dropping MHA’s)
James_xeno

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:41 am Reply with quote
Ughh.. Well it was nice to have toonami back while it lasted.. When... "stuff" like this starts getting put on it pretty much means we are near the end. Though I guess we could hold out a little hope given the nature of the current situation it's in with the funi stooges.. -_-
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:49 am Reply with quote
James_xeno wrote:
Ughh.. Well it was nice to have toonami back while it lasted.. When... "stuff" like this starts getting put on it pretty much means we are near the end. Though I guess we could hold out a little hope given the nature of the current situation it's in with the funi stooges.. -_-

Well Toonami has stated before that it’s an action block, not just an anime block soooo......... Heheh people & their doomsaying. Laughing
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:06 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

keep in mind episodes of RWBY are short wheres this series episodes are a half an hour long, better fit for the line up

Keep in mind, that V1-3 have been compiled into an around 30-40 minute feature. Every episode V4-onward is roughly 15-25 minutes each. It's not that much of a stretch to fit it into the block if they wanted.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:36 am Reply with quote
Considering they all fall under AT&T in one way or another, this isn't surprising.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Cool. I've been meaning to check this out.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...on the one hand, I think Gen:LOCK has some really great moments that will enable it to do fairly well on Toonami. On the other hand, even as someone who *liked* Gen:LOCK, I do feel like the show starts off strong but sort of slumps towards the middle before picking back up, and even then, it's still not as polished as a lot of the other 3D shows we get on TV, which might honestly be Gen:LOCK's biggest problem.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Didn't really expect this to be something that would get on even though it fits rather well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2