• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Otaku Interests' Politician Tarō Yamada Wins Seat in Japanese House of Councillors

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if "Yamada Tarou" is his given name? It's like the name "John Smith" in English, ultra generic.
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I didn't think any John Smiths would change their name to run for office. It's usually the other way around: if you are making up your own famous name you would pick something less generic.

Looking on his wiki doesn't seem to indicate he had a different name at birth.
bhl88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I hope they legalize doujinshi on the condition that a portion goes to the creators/anime (after paying up all expenses like printing, materials, etc)
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:
I hope they legalize doujinshi on the condition that a portion goes to the creators/anime (after paying up all expenses like printing, materials, etc)

What do you mean "legalize doujinshi"? They're already legal.
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Asaaaasd wrote:
bhl88 wrote:

It's a grey area, depends on the author and the company.

For example, Nintendo is anti doujinsoft. Serial Experiments Lain author is accepting any derivative except adult works
Cave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:

That would actually make it worse because if the creators accepted money from it then they would essentially be endorsing it and I am sure much of the stuff is not something most creators would want to endorse. Anime hyper

Fanworks are usually not a problem in and of themselves, it's when they start to turn a profit that it can be troublesome. Most doujin artists sell the books at the price they paid to have them printed and many times they take a loss rather than make any profit.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Asaaaasd wrote:
bhl88 wrote:

Doujinshi are not legal. Japan lacks fair use rights for parody like the USA has (though has some other fair use exceptions.) However, copyright infringement is not a regular crime; it falls into a category of crimes, shinkokuzai 親告罪 that public prosecutors cannot bring themselves, but the victim *must* formally make a complaint The concept comes from Germany (from where Japan borrowed much of its legal system), where it is called an Antragsdelikt.

Compare it to the difference between civil and criminal copyright infringement in the US; it's not quite the same, as this category is considered a criminal offense in Japan (and Germany); both countries also have separate Civil Code. Thus 親告罪 occupy a middle ground, though if you had to compare it to one, it's more similar to a civil offense in the US.

While no US state has a legal category, there are some offenses where most US prosecutors would only bring a case because of a complaint; e.g., statutory rape cases between people fairly close in age but violating the letter of the law. However, even in such cases, a DA always can bring a case in the US, whereas German and Japanese law strictly forbid it in some cases.

Being required to file a complaint means that a rights holder risks ill will with other fans, and can't just blame it on the cops and prosecutors. It also means that the police can't prosecute people for unrelated parodies of other works when they make a seizure of something that a complaint was made for.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:00 am Reply with quote
bhl88 wrote:

Many right holders like Atlus are actually already did that in the form of "Official Anthology" or those small official merch with different artists, where they commission the artists to draw illustration/comic for their anthology/merch to promote their own games. They only use popular artist, of course.

But doing that to the entire Doujin scene would kill the industry. 90% doujin artists do not make profit, you're considered lucky if you managed to break even (printing costs, transport, etc). Stories of artists had to throw away their old printed doujinshi because nobody bought your stuff is shockingly common (even happen to famous artist like Kouta Hirano and Rei Hiroe).
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
By legalizing I am quite sure he means giving them a proper legal framework, instead of being prosecuted at will; having someone like akamatsu on his side givees me good vibes regarding that, as akamatsu also did/supports doujin unless I am getting confused.
so it's more about providing them something like fair use law and less about making them able to profit from them.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
By legalizing I am quite sure he means giving them a proper legal framework, instead of being prosecuted at will; having someone like akamatsu on his side givees me good vibes regarding that, as akamatsu also did/supports doujin unless I am getting confused.
so it's more about providing them something like fair use law and less about making them able to profit from them.

Many companies already have creation guides that say what's allowed and what's not. There also "general rules" (no official logo, no mass production, no massive profit) for doujin creation. They won't attack you if you follow their rules.

Even Nintendo only after people who went beyond what's allowed, like Pokemon Uranium. It may be free but it's clearly breaking the "No Mass Production" rules with its 1 million download (most companies only allow few hundreds copy, some of more lenient ones allow few thousands).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1