• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion Character Designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto Attracts Criticism Over 'Dismissive' Twee

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Japan and Korea relationship doesn't get really strong, even for Japan ban export of high tech and semiconductors isn't going very well. Sad

Japan and Korea should really need some friendships to each other and both have their own influential export:
Japan: Anime, Manga, Video Games, Light Novels
South Korea: K-Pop, K-Dramas, K-Movies, K-Beauty
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
If Sadamoto was trying to come off as a pretentious douche, he succeeded.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The way Japan deals with its own recent history is nothing short of a national embarrassment. And I say that as a citizen of a country that's incredibly skilled at producing national embarrassments.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
It kind of boggles my mind that the guy wandered into an exhibit that explicitly advertised itself as dealing with taboo and/or censored topics, and then had the nerve to complain that it wasn’t more mainstream. Like, really dude??? Confused
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I think the problem here is the lack of any serious mediation, in this case from the U.S., as both countries are American allies and normally, it would be for the best interests of the American goverment to keep the Korean-Japanese relation being healthy.

But, since Trump doesn't give a damn a about anyone outside the U.S., this is what happens.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
It kind of boggles my mind that the guy wandered into an exhibit that explicitly advertised itself as dealing with taboo and/or censored topics, and then had the nerve to complain that it wasn’t more mainstream. Like, really dude??? Confused

Agreed. Not only that, but he's an artist. An artist of all people ought to realize that the goal of that particular sculpture wasn't to depict some sort of ideal of beauty, rather it was meant to act as a symbol or memorial for a tragic chapter of history.

His complaint stated that he expected the exhibition to be "intellectually stimulating". I think that statue is a perfect example of that.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Er, Sadamoto, are you forgetting you worked on Evangelion, which is a HUGE slam against a lot of traditional Japanese values, including against ideas of obeying one's parents? Not exactly a politically neutral series.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
In general the whole comfort women thing is really, really screwed up and a lot more people should be aware of it than there are.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Wow, whatever was in that art exhibit either went far over Sadamoto's head or Sadamoto buried his head in the ground so that he wouldn't see it.

I understand that art can sometimes be crude, but there is still reason to look beyond the crudeness and try to understand the meaning behind an art piece.

Based on the translated comments from Sadamoto, he doesn't like critical art (or at least art critical of Japan) and thinks that people should only paint butterflies and flowers. Not cool.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Some tweets that people don't agree with and OMG!!!! Pearl Clutchers unite!

I don't agree with the posts, but I am not going to pass summary judgement on someone because of some tweets.

It's common knowledge what the Japanese did to the peoples/countries it subjugated in WW2. I personally don't have an issue with the statue, and it should have remained. Lest we forget other countries that also suffered the same horrors like China and anywhere else the Japanese empire once stood.

I don't agree with Sadamoto's statements but that doesn't detract from his artwork and I will still continue to enjoy his artwork.

And going back and Re-Reading the article and where is the outrage on the fact that the whole thing was taken down after threats of violence? And what about Germany taking down their statue due to possible pressure from Japan?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I’m very disappointed in Sadamoto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The "propaganda" comment got me. I have no idea why so many people in Japan insist that comfort women just did not exist and that the entire thing was some elaborate lie that Korea and the Philippines made up to smear them.

This goes beyond Japan. Loving your country and acknowledging it's done terrible things in the past are not mutually exclusive.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:07 pm Reply with quote
The criticism of the comfort woman statue was rude but that movie exhibit insulting the Emperor of Japan does make it sound like the art exhibition was trying to get people angry. It is no surprise when an art exhibition that is trying to anger people manages to do it. That is especially true when taxpayer money is used to pay for it.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Er, Sadamoto, are you forgetting you worked on Evangelion, which is a HUGE slam against a lot of traditional Japanese values, including against ideas of obeying one's parents? Not exactly a politically neutral series.

It has been a while since I have watched Evangelion but having a single horrible father in a show doesn't mean that everyone working on that show has a problem with fathers. Also Evangelion was a show that was made by a company and a lot changes when the government is paying the bill since that means that taxpayers are paying for it.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The criticism of the comfort woman statue was rude but that movie exhibit insulting the Emperor of Japan does make it sound like the art exhibition was trying to get people angry. It is no surprise when an art exhibition that is trying to anger people manages to do it. That is especially true when taxpayer money is used to pay for it.

I clearly haven't seen the film in question, but I have my doubts that it is/was as simple as just being offensive for the sake of offense. Art often contains offensive elements, but uses them to tell a story, or to emphasize some greater point--Evangelion is an excellent example of this (oh, the irony). I can't help but wonder if Sadamoto missed the point of that film too.

@Gasero
Exactly.
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why people care so much about this, it's history? yes, but it's unrelated to the active population of Japan nowadays, and to be perfectly honest, it must be very annoying. It's not like Japan constantly whines at the US for dropping the 2 bombs, so why should S.Korea do it for the comfort women? At this point, it's only to pressure Japan, and Sadamoto must be very annoyed to go into twitter and post about it. It's not commendable, true, but it's no reason to berate him.

That is not to say that those that deny that those events happened are right, but at the same time, everyone who lived in that era and had some sort of role in it is already long dead, and the people of the present have absolutely no obligation to feel responsible for that. The son of a murderer must not pay for what their parents did, and if people keep pestering this person about what they did, they have all the right to get annoyed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4