• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tagline question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Muckley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Anime News Network's tagline is "The Internet's most trusted anime news source". My question is...according to who? What data is this based on? Was there a survey conducted a while back?

I was having an argument with someone about this and couldn't find anything on this site that refers to the sources of that title. Can you point me to the source so I can show my friend the results?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Let's be honest here... the data at best is likely based that they do have a rather large number of hits to the website. Certainly more than most other anime related sites.

Beyond that, in the end it's likely nothing more than a slogan designed do cause one to put one's trust in what they are seeing. Much like any kind of pain reliever that is advertised on TV and is stated as "the #1 brand reccomended by doctors."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, in 2001 they were voted the second most popular anime website (behind Anipike which isn't a news site) on an Animefringe web poll. Not sure how well they did in 2002, but I think just as well. Should be hearing about a 2003 poll soon I should think. I'm pretty sure they've won simmilar polls elsewhere, and the site hits speak for themselves.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Hello,

There's no way to actually measure trust, it's a qualitative descriptor as opposed to a quantitative descriptor. I guess that may be a part of the reason why Justin chose it as our tagline 5 years ago.

As for stats and figures, if you define Anipike and Anime on DVD as not "Anime News Websites," then ANN is the most visited *ENGLISH* Anime News source on the internet. The three sites have fairly similar traffic figures. No other informative Anime sites come even close.

But visits don't equate trust.

In the end, it's more of a definition of what we try to be, "The most trusted possible news source."

-t
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I would like to thank all posters from making any jokes involving the phrase, "fair and balances." Regardless of the veracity of complaints against the principle users of this phrase, I'm rather sick of all the cheap shots.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Cheap shots at Fox? Do I smell an anti-Franken voice among us?

If so, then you and I have business, sir.

-Zac
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:12 pm Reply with quote
[cheapshotatAlFranken]While I'd probably be a big fan of Fox News if only the CRTC would let us watch it, I do admit that they gave the Big Fat Liberal Idiot's book far too much free publicity with their failed attempt at a lawsuit.[/cheapshotatAlFranken]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Probably WAY off topic, but that C-SPAN segment featuring Al Franken and Bill O'Reilly was probably more entertaining than any anime I've seen in the past six months.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Al Franken is kinda OT for this thread. I do see the link, but no one has chosen to discuss that link, so either discuss the link between Al Franken and ANN's tagline, or get back ON-topic.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:13 pm Reply with quote
speaking of slogans.

I want to see Fox-News start using "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggone it, people like me."

sorry had to have a Stuart Smalley reference.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:15 pm Reply with quote
umm I think the Tag lines pretty accurate of ANN being trustworthy. you guys did say that you don't put things up unless your sure its true right?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:37 pm Reply with quote
JETBLACK87 wrote:
umm I think the Tag lines pretty accurate of ANN being trustworthy. you guys did say that you don't put things up unless your sure its true right?

If we aren't sure of something at time of posting, we state it explicitely. But we prefer not to post things like that (rumours).

Sometimes it becomes necessarry to post rumours, but in those cases we do our best to find out as much as possible, and we try to make it explicitely clear that this information is just rumour (yet plausible enough to warrant us posting it).

This is not to say that we've been faultless. Mistakes do happen, but we strive towards not making them.

-t
Delthayre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:02 am Reply with quote
I'll remain coy regarding my thoughts on Franken and FOX News. My specific opinions where not my point. I'm sick of some people still bitching about that anti-FLCL article, but I hated that article and was a bit miffed at the author.

I don't think I can really link Franken and ANN, but I can say that I certainly trust ANN. ANN has, so long as I have known it, an aesthetically satsify and relatively minimst visual appearance that avoids the garishness of much contemporary media.

It's my most trusted anime news source.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:35 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Hello,

There's no way to actually measure trust, it's a qualitative descriptor as opposed to a quantitative descriptor. I guess that may be a part of the reason why Justin chose it as our tagline 5 years ago.

As for stats and figures, if you define Anipike and Anime on DVD as not "Anime News Websites," then ANN is the most visited *ENGLISH* Anime News source on the internet. The three sites have fairly similar traffic figures. No other informative Anime sites come even close.

But visits don't equate trust.

In the end, it's more of a definition of what we try to be, "The most trusted possible news source."

-t

I said the number of hits for one major reason. If people found the the site was untrustworthy, they wouldn't come back. Although it's doesn't directly indicate trust, it would be a valid point, considering the length of time ANN has been around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Frank Muckley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Some people seem to be confusing the issue. Trust IS NOT popularity nor should popularity imply trust. The fact that ANN is a high-traffic web site may imply that it's trusted by many people, but it certainly is not proof that it is the "most trusted" source.

I mean, Tom Brokaw can claim the title of America's Most Trusted News Anchor, but that's because there was a legitimate poll conducted by TV Guide.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/2003-04-02-trusted-anchors_x.htm

...it's not like NBC's calling him that just because he's watched by a lot of people. Hell, look at Fox News. That same article says they're top in the ratings, but people trust CNN more.

Until there's an actual poll conducted by an impartial third-party that verifies the ANN tagline, it qualifies as false advertising. It's like putting up a web site saying "The Internet's most popular anime web site!" without any hard data to back it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2