• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bushiroad Founder Explains BanG Dream!'s Success in Struggling Anime Industry

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrea1234

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:37 pm Reply with quote
That's funny coming from hypocrite who turned Bang Dream into a crappy Idolmaster clone.
https://imgur.com/a/Nabj0Hy
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Hard for people to watch the anime over playing a money pit? You'd think it would be the opposite. It only costs you time to watch the anime. I'm the opposite, it's easy to get me to watch the anime and near impossible these days to play whatever game it's based on because 99% of the time it's a gacha game that just wants my money.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Hard for people to watch the anime over playing a money pit? You'd think it would be the opposite. It only costs you time to watch the anime. I'm the opposite, it's easy to get me to watch the anime and near impossible these days to play whatever game it's based on because 99% of the time it's a gacha game that just wants my money.

While it is a gacha, it's one of those where the gacha hardly matters and you can enjoy the main game (and have at least one version of your waifu) for completely free.

Really not sure how anyone can compare this to idolmaster. Different audiences for the most part - only Hello, Happy World dances
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Lol at the suggestion that this work would struggle to get made or sell in any way. Yeah, you call it a band instead of idols, it's almost the same thing. Meanwhile, people like Oshii and Konaka can barely get anything approved in the current industry.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
wasn't the anime for this series a HUGE failure when it first came out in japan and especially here in the US. I mean the mobile game did make it actually turn a profit eventually but..... I would hardly call the growth it achieved from it unique or even that strong or long lived.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:37 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
wasn't the anime for this series a HUGE failure when it first came out in japan and especially here in the US. I mean the mobile game did make it actually turn a profit eventually but..... I would hardly call the growth it achieved from it unique or even that strong or long lived.

The anime did get a second and third season, as well as a movie. I never bothered with the franchise since the anime is probably a mish-mash of a billion other idolshit like Idolm@ster, Love Live, etc. But hey, it seems that Bushiroad is getting value out of those trash.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:35 am Reply with quote
I loved the first season of Bang Dream then when the game got an English release I played it over a year, I never missed an event in the game I made sure to get certain items in every event until about two months ago I stopped playing. After the crappy second season aired I slowly started not to care about the franchise anymore, I still have only seen the first episode of the second season.

I still love the first seaon but I’m going to ignore the rest of the franchise.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not into this franchise, but this is important.

I have been saying so much that live events are so important to the industry and fandom in Japan right now, and that international sources need to start covering them.

To get international fans interested and following the live events, so that they can request them to come to international events, get the recordings onto international streaming sites, and maybe even have their own international official spinoff performance groups, or something.

But that if international fans and media don't take notice of live events in Japan, then the Japanese and international sides of the industry are going to grow further and further apart. Which is pretty bad for everyone.

Please take notice of this.

I can think of at least 5 series with upcoming live events that ANN hasn't covered at all, even though I was told that stage play announcements, cast announcements, and cast visual reveals are all newsworthy - yes, five series, counting the one series with four upcoming stage plays + three already scheduled for next year, as just one.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:20 am Reply with quote
It's funny, I see the negativity here, but there was a huge turnout for the Bandori event and Aina Aiba panel at MadFest Melbourne here in Australia this weekend. I think the mixed media aspect will be what helps its success, especially the live performances as #884745 pointed out given there are three bands now that can perform.

The not-aging aspect is probably my only concern, as having them grow would be an easy mechanic in the franchise to cycle bands in and out to keep it fresh, not to mention add longevity to live performances as "retired" bands can still perform longer after they have left the franchise. It's not like Love Live where you do kind of have to have a hard reset each time, especially given the prototype that is Raise A Suilen where the seiyuu do have a musical background, making it easier than starting from scratch
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:54 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

The anime did get a second and third season, as well as a movie. I never bothered with the franchise since the anime is probably a mish-mash of a billion other idolshit like Idolm@ster, Love Live, etc. But hey, it seems that Bushiroad is getting value out of those trash.

These are slightly different cases, I think. Franchises like Love Live and Revue Starlight became known primarily for successful and popular anime adaptations, while IMAS was already a popular gaming franchise. In the case of Bandori, their anime was not very popular, the main fame came to them during the growing popularity of the game itself and its port to the West. Of course, from the point of view of anime as a genre, the level of difference between these shows is debatable, but they all had different effects on the popularity of their brands.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:00 am Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
But that if international fans and media don't take notice of live events in Japan, then the Japanese and international sides of the industry are going to grow further and further apart. Which is pretty bad for everyone.

Please take notice of this.

I can think of at least 5 series with upcoming live events that ANN hasn't covered at all, even though I was told that stage play announcements, cast announcements, and cast visual reveals are all newsworthy - yes, five series, counting the one series with four upcoming stage plays + three already scheduled for next year, as just one.

It might be worth posting this in the feedback section of the forum.

Even things like Nitro Plus 20th live https://www.nitroplus.co.jp/special/nss20th/ didn't get a mention on ANN, just an announcement fist made at the event that they didn't list as related to the event.

BanG Dream was well represented at Animelo Summer Live 2019. Set lists of this year's show are linked from https://anisama.tv

As someone who doesn't live in Japan or speak the language I still follow many twitter accounts of artists and get to events that most interest me or coincide with times that I am in Japan for those events.
ScarletFairy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:57 am Reply with quote
There's a lot of negativity for bandori here, calling it ripoffs of other idol shows and whatnot. If you really think that BanG Dream is some sort of stupid idol show, how about listen to some of Raise a Suilen's music and then tell me how much of a dumb frilly ripoff it is:

https://youtu.be/_HcJmHjoQbo
https://youtu.be/f2AdaBxSCEo
https://youtu.be/t0cywO1moLE

RAS is one of the bands that has live performances. Roselia or Afterglow's songs can also serve as a good example.

If you've only watched the first season of the anime I get where you're coming from, though. As a bandori fan, even I was very bored through most of the first season (I haven't watched the second season yet so I can't say anything about that); even though I have to say that I loved the later episodes, I can see why it didn't do well.

The later stories in the game, however, are fantastic. I love all of the second band stories so much I could gush about them for days, and that's a big part of what makes me love the franchise and characters so much. I'd say the game is the heart of the franchise.

But besides that...! This is an interesting article, lol. I've always wondered how they're going to deal with time passing in the universe, and if new bands/characters are ever going to be added.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Andrea1234 wrote:
That's funny coming from hypocrite who turned Bang Dream into a crappy Idolmaster clone.
https://imgur.com/a/Nabj0Hy

I have no idea what this image is supposed to be implying.

And yeah, count me in as another person who found season 1 of Bandori lackluster, got into the mobile game (at least until I lost my account back in February) and really enjoyed season 2. I’ve also been to all 4 of the Bandori Live DVs that Azoland brought over, at least until they pushed too quickly and didn’t get the numbers and return on investment they were looking for (to be fair, it is kinda a big ask for people to shell out $30 a ticket for two shows on back to back weekends, taking into account travel costs to the DV locations as well; still, NY seemed to have decent sized crowds for all except the last one and that was because it was being held Katsucon weekend). So I dunno where all this negativity is coming from.
ernie2492

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Bang Dream is going to the right way.. (Except for "Argonavis is in alternate universe" thing because there isn't such thing in Im@s)
tsog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
I also found season 1 lackluster, to put it mildly. Brushed bandori aside as another generic idol/music franchise that I could care less about.... until I heard Roselia's Neo-Aspect last year. Then I got hooked on Roselia, bought all their CDs, and even downloaded the game. Granted I haven't played a single live yet, and I only picked up the game to read all the dialogue I could without paying.

They at least have a decent amount of fan art/doujin that doesn't make me feel like I'm following a C tier franchise. Will stick around as long as they keep putting out songs I like, and then I'll just move on to something else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2