Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Digimon Universe: App Monsters Anime to Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I was really shocked when Crunchyroll suddenly announced they had licensed Appmon because it seemed to come out of nowhere. The show came out three years ago and the consensus among the fandom seemed to be that Toei was hoping to secure a toy deal to get Appmon on TV. I guess the toy deal wasn't able to work out for them and they must have thought they would get more out of putting up as wide of release as possible on Crunchyroll instead. I won't lie I'll be a little disappointed if we never get an English dub of Appmon at all given a dub is likely the only way we'll get a physical home video release of the show, and I would be disappointed if my Digimon DVD collection will be incomplete as I already own the first five seasons and Appmon has become one of my favorite seasons, and I'm also a fan of the Digimon dub in general.

I am excited though that we are getting more subbed Digimon streaming and I hope this means Toei will consider streaming the uncut subbed versions of the other seasons and movies. The only other subbed Digimon streaming is Tri and Xros Wars/Young Hunters and the first three seasons streamed on Netflix temporarily with subs of questionable quality a few years ago. The only subbed Digimon that's been released on physical media has been Tri so far. I saw Appmon back when it first aired and it was the first Digimon show I watched while it was airing. Now it's finally licensed I'm excited to visit it again. I know some fans were dismissive of Appmon early on because of the character designs but if you stick with it, it is a very rewarding series and one of the best that's come out in recent years. Tamers is still my favorite season of Digimon but I would put Appmon pretty close up there with Tamers.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I know some fans were dismissive of Appmon early on because of the character designs but if you stick with it, it is a very rewarding series and one of the best that's come out in recent years. Tamers is still my favorite season of Digimon but I would put Appmon pretty close up there with Tamers.

Agreed! Lots didn't like the phone app idea, and yeah I thought it sounded silly too. But honestly, most people that watched it through till the end really really enjoyed it. It really is one of the top Digimon series, and I HIGHLY recommend watching it through!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:

Agreed! Lots didn't like the phone app idea, and yeah I thought it sounded silly too. But honestly, most people that watched it through till the end really really enjoyed it. It really is one of the top Digimon series, and I HIGHLY recommend watching it through!
I also highly recommend going in blind and avoiding spoilers.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
Hoah ship I'll finally be able to watch this legally! <3
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote
Woah! I had given up on it ever getting released here after all this time. The fact it's a subbed release is even better. Not quite ready for a rewatch yet, but I'll go ahead and watch at least one episode to celebrate.

Would be nice if Crunchyroll could get around to adding subs of the previous Digimon series as well.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:24 am Reply with quote
I remember reading somewhere that Turner received the rights to air the show in the west, meaning it would have gone on Cartoon Network dubbed. Guess that was only in some European countries? Or they just decided to sit on it, or couldn't find a toy deal?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1