Forum - View topic
Comic Market 97 Attracts 190,000 Attendees on 1st Day




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
hikura



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 413
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:28 am Reply with quote
At that pace they will set a new record.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hoppy800



Joined: 09 Aug 2013
Posts: 2733
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
If C98 gets record attendance on Golden Week, it could end up changing to Golden Week from now on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8024
Location: IL
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Isn't C98 barring R-18 content due to the Olympic rush? Doubt it'll set any attendance records like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greboruri



Joined: 09 Jul 2003
Posts: 289
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Isn't C98 barring R-18 content due to the Olympic rush? Doubt it'll set any attendance records like that.

I have no idea where you heard that. The amount of R18+ material sold is overblown. Taking into consideration everything that's sold in both the east and west halls, R18+ stuff would only really account for 25% of everything being sold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Megiddo



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 8024
Location: IL
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Isn't C98 barring R-18 content due to the Olympic rush? Doubt it'll set any attendance records like that.

I have no idea where you heard that. The amount of R18+ material sold is overblown. Taking into consideration everything that's sold in both the east and west halls, R18+ stuff would only really account for 25% of everything being sold.

I'm referring to the content that draws the biggest crowd. You do know why Sunday has traditionally always been the most attended day of Comiket, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greboruri



Joined: 09 Jul 2003
Posts: 289
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm referring to the content that draws the biggest crowd. You do know why Sunday has traditionally always been the most attended day of Comiket, right?

I get that traditionally the day were most of male-centric stuff is sold, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence that Comiket is clamping down on or banning that material. The year I went I only went on days 1 and 2 as I was going to a shinto festival on the Sunday, but I doubt that R18+ material would exceed 30% of all material sold in both halls. A lot of different stuff is sold there and the vast majority isn't porn. Of that, around 40% of the artists (selling the most obscene hetero porn I ever saw) were women, which kind of surprised me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsog



Joined: 16 Sep 2017
Posts: 21
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Of that, around 40% of the artists (selling the most obscene hetero porn I ever saw) were women, which kind of surprised me.

How do you know they were the artists? While you may be correct in the estimate, my impression is that many of them have booth girls or friends to stand-in.

Of all the artists I follow I only recognized one when I went to C94 simply because he posted pictures with his face visible on Twitter. Of the others I can guess at their gender but never visual confirmations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Greboruri



Joined: 09 Jul 2003
Posts: 289
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
tsog wrote:
How do you know they were the artists? While you may be correct in the estimate, my impression is that many of them have booth girls or friends to stand-in.

I went to the same event (and felt like I was going to die of heat exhaustion). They certainly weren't "booth girls". Even if we pretend that they were stand ins for the real (male) artist, there were a ton of women standing in for these artists, which quite frankly makes no sense. Even Comiket's own statics show that over 70% of circles participating are women (page 21). I think a lot of people make assumptions about the event. Certainly a large proportion of the material for sale in the west halls wasn't even doujinshi (i.e. self published books); there was a lot of music on CD, software, jewellery, cosplay accessories and other stuff. A fair percentage of the doujunshi was train or food related there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsog



Joined: 16 Sep 2017
Posts: 21
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Even if we pretend that they were stand ins for the real (male) artist, there were a ton of women standing in for these artists, which quite frankly makes no sense. Even Comiket's own statics show that over 70% of circles participating are women (page 21). I think a lot of people make assumptions about the event.

Based on that statistic, it actually sounds like a lot males stood in for females in the 40/60 female/male ratio you observed.

Again, you may very well be correct in your 40% estimate, but I'm questioning how do you know they are actually the artists themselves. Also, I'm not questioning whether or not there are a lot of female artists that participate in Comiket; I have the same impression based on my guesses of the genders of my favorite artists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DavetheUsher



Joined: 19 May 2014
Posts: 284
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:29 am Reply with quote
If anyone wants a breakdown of what the ranking of works based on IPs is, there's this.

Obviously you can't tell gender, but it's probably safe to assume the Yuri!! on Ice doujins aren't being made by men... well, at least most of them. And the reverse for Idolmaster and such.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Meongantuk



Joined: 03 Jun 2016
Posts: 214
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:10 am Reply with quote
tsog wrote:
Greboruri wrote:
Even if we pretend that they were stand ins for the real (male) artist, there were a ton of women standing in for these artists, which quite frankly makes no sense. Even Comiket's own statics show that over 70% of circles participating are women (page 21). I think a lot of people make assumptions about the event.

Based on that statistic, it actually sounds like a lot males stood in for females in the 40/60 female/male ratio you observed.

Again, you may very well be correct in your 40% estimate, but I'm questioning how do you know they are actually the artists themselves. Also, I'm not questioning whether or not there are a lot of female artists that participate in Comiket; I have the same impression based on my guesses of the genders of my favorite artists.


Stand-ins cosplayers are mostly used in big name circles which you can easily differentiate from smaller circles (which consist the majority of the circles). While friends stand-ins are usually fellow artists who also sell their stuff in said table (most circles isn't one-man circle). so chance of female having female friends is higher than the with male friends.

though, the easiest way is by directly ask them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HoboSoup



Joined: 06 Aug 2017
Posts: 361
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:47 am Reply with quote
So what I'm gathering from this thread, a lot of people don't know that human beings are sexual creatures, regardless of gender. Yes there are a lot of women that make hentai, and lot of women that buy it. For some reason people are still surprised by this at the end of 2019.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group