• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Academy Awards Changes Voting Process for Best International Feature Film Category

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to wonder if anime distributors should aim more for the Foreign Film category than Animation. Besides the Pixar-Disney-Dreamworks lockdown, a lot more of anime is aimed at teens to young adults as opposed to most of the category's fare which is usually aimed at kids in western tradition. The exception this time is Okko's Inn, which is a kids film, though I'm kinda surprised it got put forward although I haven't seen the film yet, only the series.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
They should probably apply for more categories in general, including the underlooked music. But Foreign is up to the host country.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Didn’t Boss Baby beat out Silent Voice and LEGO Batman? Aren’t there rumors that the judges let their children pick which animated movies get the vote? Honestly I care less about Oscars and Academy Awards then they care about animated movies, aka zilch.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
Didn’t Boss Baby beat out Silent Voice and LEGO Batman? Aren’t there rumors that the judges let their children pick which animated movies get the vote? Honestly I care less about Oscars and Academy Awards then they care about animated movies, aka zilch.

They only talk about it because Spirited Away won it in 2002. Otherwise, there would be no connection between the Oscars and anime. Still, it would be kinda cool if a great movie like In This Corner of the World won the Oscar for best picture (it would actually be the first time a great movie wins that since LOTR won it in 2003).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if anime distributors should aim more for the Foreign Film category than Animation. Besides the Pixar-Disney-Dreamworks lockdown, a lot more of anime is aimed at teens to young adults as opposed to most of the category's fare which is usually aimed at kids in western tradition. The exception this time is Okko's Inn, which is a kids film, though I'm kinda surprised it got put forward although I haven't seen the film yet, only the series.

Animated films almost never get put through; the only one to do so was Waltz with Bashir in 2008. Also, the Academy has allowed more mature films into the selection (most recently Isle of Dogs and Loving Vincent). As of now, the Animated Feature category is the most surefire way to get recognition, and the only reason it hasn’t is a lack of proper campaigning (looking at you, Funimation and Your Name). But with Mirai getting in, I at least think there’s hope, though I’m hoping that the double campaign doesn’t ruin Weathering With You’s chances.
Posts Sometimes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if anime distributors should aim more for the Foreign Film category than Animation.

That's not really up to anime distributors. Each country only gets one submission for the international film category, so you'd have to convince the Japanese Academy to pick anime films instead of live action. I don't think anime films would have a better shot in that category anyway. Historically the foreign category tends to favor more serious and "artsy" movies, while most big anime films these days are relatively light and young-adult oriented.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
this sleazy shit is why I don't watch non-animated movies. I don't know if that's biased in itself.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
There was no Silent Voice presented even in the long-list, cause it was run by Funimation - and they are laziest guys to even apply.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
NiPah wrote:
There was no Silent Voice presented even in the long-list, cause it was run by Funimation - and they are laziest guys to even apply.

Funimation screwed up Your Name, not A Silent Voice. Shout Factory was the one who licensed A Silent Voice, and they didn’t even give it an Oscar campaign to my recollection, hence why it was not on the long list (though Your Name was).
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Posts Sometimes wrote:
Lynx Raven Raide wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if anime distributors should aim more for the Foreign Film category than Animation.

That's not really up to anime distributors. Each country only gets one submission for the international film category, so you'd have to convince the Japanese Academy to pick anime films instead of live action. I don't think anime films would have a better shot in that category anyway. Historically the foreign category tends to favor more serious and "artsy" movies, while most big anime films these days are relatively light and young-adult oriented.

Actually, the Japanese Academy just selected Makoto Shinkai's movie for this round. It is the 3rd time they nominate an anime film: they also nominated Takahata's 1994 Pom Poko (the one about tanuki, which is like super culturally inaccessible to westerners) and Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke (which was an entry that was very strong but thing is that it was an action fantasy movie, obviously not something that wins these rather bigoted prizes). Overall, I don't think an anime film is ever going to win anything at the Oscars ever again.

Spirited Away's case was very special: the movie in itself is tremendous, something that happens only once in the history of a civilization. Second, it was an accessible movie that did not violate too many western mores for animation (Princess Mononoke's beheadings are just too violent). Third, it is also a film that has a universal demographic appeal. I personally find it very hard to even conceive that an animated movie like Spirited Away ever existed before I watched it, it feels like the animated equivalent of 2001 A Space Odyssey: it is something singular, and in Spirited Away's case it is a movie that is very accessible (despite Miyazaki's claims it was made so that only Japanese audiences understand it, he managed to reach a more global audience).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:34 am Reply with quote
Spirited Away’s case is that they don’t count it as anime, but Ghibli. And yeah, other than Mirai being nominated, a non-Ghibli anime film has yet to win.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1