• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Girls und Panzer der Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Girls und Panzer movie may not be Shakespeare

Umm... is anything?
Kidkidd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
Quote:

Umm... is anything?

Shakespeare?
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Kidkidd wrote:
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
Quote:

Umm... is anything?

Shakespeare?

Sure. But, anything besides that?
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought that [it] "may not be Shakespeare" was a common phrase that is typically used just the way that the reviewer used it.

As for the review, I really liked it.
I am glad to know that the movie seems to be just as much fun as I had expected.
I am eagerly awaiting the disc release.

Thank you for the review.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
The headline of this article is pretty much exactly what I was thinking leaving the theater. Not much plot, but sure a hell of a lot of fun. I'm not at all surprised it did so well in its theatrical run. The whole premise and aesthetic of Garupan upscales seamlessly to the big screen, and also benefits enormously from not being shackled to the 20-minutes-per-week TV episode structure. More than that, though, this is about as close as I've seen anime get (or at least the closest since Redline) to successfully delivering a pure "action spectacular" movie, with the large amounts of stunts and explosions and over-the-top set pieces you'd expect from a live-action summer blockbuster rather than a modestly budgeted animated film.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Saw it in a theater last weekend. Most fun I've had in a theater in over a year.
I can't wait for the next movie to come out.
Edl01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Loved this film. Was everything I wanted and somehow much more. For what it is it's almost perfect, one of maybe 5 anime I've ever seen that I've rated a 10. I wasn't the biggest fan of the TV show, but I think it's 100% worth sitting through for Der Film.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:53 pm Reply with quote
It goes to show that as long as you do it well, you can do anything. I've hung out with many an artist and writer over my days and they keep trying for something new and reflective of their massive intellect. Sometimes the true test is just how much fun you can have with the basics. GuP is Basics at their best.
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
This is close as we can get to a marvel film in Anime form.........just with cute girls and tanks. Lol. This film made me smirk from beginning to end
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
So for those who actually went and saw it how does the dub stack up against the series? Asking as someone who didn't hate the dub but still vastly prefers the Japanese.

I mean if I'm comparing it to other Sentai 'cute girl show' dubs it's not like Hanayamata's where the miscasting and the awkward line reads irked me so much I literally couldn't watch it. But even though I did watch it the whole way through it still did have a lot of the problems that I commonly have with Sentai dubs (Especially during that period where they were dubbing a million shows every month on a shoestring budget).

They slip up a lot less often nowadays (I actually loved the Nozaki-kun dub) but I still need to be cautious in the off chance that my only legal option is the dub
SpartanSlayer64

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
Shakespeare?

Sure. But, anything besides that?

Blast of Tempest is heavily Shakespeare inspired mainly Hamlet and The Tempest.
miken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
− Pretty much entirely lacking in any narrative, emotional, or thematic content beyond “tanks are awesome, let's have a fun time” [...] Story : B

mmmkay Anime dazed
BlackWolf26

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
Lacking thematic, emotional or narrative content? The purported pursuit of intellectual merit in anime like Girls und Panzer is usually an exercise in failure, since the whole point of the series is to rediscover the joys of doing something. The author of the original review clearly was missing something, but fortunately, there are better minds out there who present a far more comprehensive, insightful review for this movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1