• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Right Stuf, Eleven Arts Reveal Trade-in Programs for A Silent Voice, Maquia Anime Film Releases

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:31 am Reply with quote
A little curious--Is it because there are defects I'm unaware of, or just to get rid of them in general?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:41 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
A little curious--Is it because there are defects I'm unaware of, or just to get rid of them in general?

I think it’s because the limited editions were announced long after the standard editions, and there are fans who bought the standard edition who would have bought the limited edition had they known it was coming (and who don’t feel like double-dipping).

I have the standard edition of both and I’m unaware of any defects with either.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:14 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I think it’s because the limited editions were announced long after the standard editions, and there are fans who bought the standard edition who would have bought the limited edition had they known it was coming (and who don’t feel like double-dipping).

I have the standard edition of both and I’m unaware of any defects with either.

Silly me, I thought the trade-in was for the limited editions themselves, but apparently I misread that. This makes way more sense.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote
Meh, Silent Voice was so good that I combined both Shout & Nozomi discs in a single set with one of my spare 4-disc cases plus the former set also came with it on DVD while the latter doesn't.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I notice a few timing errors in the standard edition of Silent Voice blu-ray, Wondering if this present in the limited edition.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:14 pm Reply with quote
This is a very nice thing to do. I remember I was really annoyed when Sentai released a special edition of Haikyuu after first releasing a standard edition in a very short time frame. I refused to double dip and stuck to the standard edition. But if they had done something like this I would have had no problem.
tsog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:15 am Reply with quote
At first I thought, this might actually be a good deal given the standard BD goes for around $20 (higher/lower depending on sales), whereas you get $35 discount for trading it in.

...but of course, it's only $35 off the original MSRP price of $89.99 as opposed to the $79.99 that it sells for every single day. Plus, you'd probably have to pay the shipping, so it's not much of a deal at all.

There is one thing I don't quite understand. I see Shout! Factory selling the standard version and Nozomi selling the LE. Are there two different NA distributors for two different versions of same movie? If so, I'm rather surprised the licensor allowed two different companies to compete with each other on the same title. Or is it all just a ploy to get fans to double dip by staggering the releases? But then there is no need for two distributors either...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:51 am Reply with quote
I suppose we can only hope that the new Maquia BDs aren't hardsubbed.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:38 am Reply with quote
^The Maquia LE has been out since May and while not hardsubbed like the RE, they're locked like the typical Sentai & Viz release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1