• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams Pop Team Epic Anime With Half Episodes in U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quote
Where's the rest of the content?
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:09 am Reply with quote
Kind of disrespectful if you ask me. Or that they missed the point of the series.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:11 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they realize the stupidity of their actions, because Hulu? Both halves.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I mean, given how Netflix US approaches anime content... I'm not surprised they fumbled this so horrendously.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Yeah I mean, given how Netflix US approaches anime content... I'm not surprised they fumbled this so horrendously.

Have they done something positive? I'm asking so I can know if you're just being generalizing or not.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:

Have they done something positive? I'm asking so I can know if you're just being generalizing or not.

They licensed and simultaneously(ish) released Devilman Crybaby and Aggretsuko, and a few of their older series licenses make sense (when they're not editing the presentation themselves).

But every single licensed tv show that sits locked away behind a binge-style presentation while the content trickles out to the internet, their entire handling of NGE, their largely forgettable selection of 3D content, and now editing out half the episodes of Pop Team Epic (which I hope they go back and fix but we'll see) kinda outweigh 3 or 4 positive examples of them approaching anime content licensing.

Does that help?

Last edited by Animegunclub on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:04 pm Reply with quote
They've allowed shows such as Aggretsuko, Devilman Crybaby, the Little Witch Academia TV series, and Violet Evergarden to come to the US, so Netflix isn't all bad. Though I am wondering why they're doing this to Pop Team Epic, and I don't even like the show.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:26 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Though I am wondering why they're doing this to Pop Team Epic, and I don't even like the show.

I mean, the second half of the episode is the exact same as the first half, only with male voice actors. I can see why they would do this, since people might find it weird and a waste of time if they just want to watch the next one and not the same segments again with different voice actors.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Wonder what treatment Suzumiya Haruhi second season would get in the hands of Netflix?...
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Animegunclub wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Animegunclub wrote:

They licensed and simultaneously(ish) released Devilman Crybaby and Aggretsuko, and a few of their older series licenses make sense (when they're not editing the presentation themselves).

But every single licensed tv show that sits locked away behind a binge-style presentation while the content trickles out to the internet, their entire handling of NGE, their largely forgettable selection of 3D content, and now editing out half the episodes of Pop Team Epic (which I hope they go back and fix but we'll see) kinda outweigh 3 or 4 positive examples of them approaching anime content licensing.

Does that help?

I can understand most, but the NGE thing in English is something of YMMV situation.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
I can understand most, but the NGE thing in English is something of YMMV situation.

I mean, a lot of the issue with them acquiring NGE sort of priced out the option of us getting an official US bluray release of the series. Redoing the dub made sense all things considered (which I agree is a YMMV situation), but skimping on the iconic ED theme was generally regarded as a severe misstep.

In fact, a lot of the anime they tend to exclusively license get shafted out of a physical home release (which causes further accessibility problems when they unceremoniously drop it from their catalog like they did with LWA)
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Though I am wondering why they're doing this to Pop Team Epic, and I don't even like the show.

I mean, the second half of the episode is the exact same as the first half, only with male voice actors. I can see why they would do this, since people might find it weird and a waste of time if they just want to watch the next one and not the same segments again with different voice actors.

There were other minor differences between the halves besides just the voice actors. Some situations here and there played out somewhat differently which made them Easter eggs of sorts if they weren't obviously noticeable.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
So they cut out the actual ending, 10/10 Netflix saving anime.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Could be a problem with the rights, maybe?
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:52 pm Reply with quote
People who seriously think cutting out the 2nd half of the episodes cause "they only changed the VA's" clearly didn't actually watch the full episodes. It may have seemed like that at first, but a few episodes into the series, the jokes completely change or have completely different styles of delivery. Its also very disrespectful to the talented voice cast whom perform during those 2nd half's. The biggest sin of them all is that the 2nd half of the finale is so different from the 1st, that this Netflix version pretty much doesn't have the actual ending of the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2