• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Godfathers Anime Film's Trailer Previews New English Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Woohoo! I am EXTREMELY excited for this! The dub voices sound spot on and I am eager for this one!! Going to need to try and see this in theaters!
me_barron

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm just too used to the sub, but this sounds awful. Reminds me of a fandub rather than an official dub.At least it looks like they updated the picture quality decently.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
It's kinda interesting that this and Millennium Actress have gotten dubs recently, I could have sworn that Satoshi Kon was kind of against his works being dubbed. Maybe I'm misremembering as I heard that a while ago, or maybe it doesn't matter since this isnt the first time his animation has been dubbed anyway.

It's been a while since I've seen this movie but I remember enjoying it, will be nice to see it again.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:50 am Reply with quote
Gin-san sounds perfect but I need more time with Hana-san and Miyuki-chan.

Oh I have waited many, many years for this, my favorite holiday movie!
Nilrem

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
It's kinda interesting that this and Millennium Actress have gotten dubs recently, I could have sworn that Satoshi Kon was kind of against his works being dubbed. Maybe I'm misremembering as I heard that a while ago, or maybe it doesn't matter since this isnt the first time his animation has been dubbed anyway.

It's been a while since I've seen this movie but I remember enjoying it, will be nice to see it again.

Millennium Actress had a British dub when it was originally released over here, I think it also had the same one in Australia.

I'm quite looking forward to Tokyo Godfathers with a dub (and hopefully getting both it and MA on blu-ray in the UK).
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Godfathers wasn't dubbed in English before? This is weird to me since here in Latin America we got a dubbed version in the mid 00's, this reminds me of how we got Millennium Actress dubbed into neutral Spanish only a couple of years ago, despite being an relatively old movie.
I hope that English speakers audiences will get a great dub, I haven't watched it in Japanese but I've seen the Spanish dub on TV once and it was well made, though it's funny to me that Hana is voiced by the same actor who voices Freezer, Tuxedo Mask, Meta Knight and Han Solo in the neutral Spanish version.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Tokyo Godfathers wasn't dubbed in English before? This is weird to me since here in Latin America we got a dubbed version in the mid 00's, this reminds me of how we got Millennium Actress dubbed into neutral Spanish only a couple of years ago, despite being an relatively old movie.
I hope that English speakers audiences will get a great dub, I haven't watched it in Japanese but I've seen the Spanish dub on TV once and it was well made, though it's funny to me that Hana is voiced by the same actor who voices Freezer, Tuxedo Mask, Meta Knight and Han Solo in the neutral Spanish version.

It has been dubbed in English before by Animax Asia, but that was only for broadcast on their channel and never had a home release.
Here's a clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL-OHdLIw_I
Bonham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Screenings for the movie are only a couple weeks away now... Just have to make a choice on which version to catch in theaters. (Familiar with and go for the original audio when I can, but I'm so familiar with the Japanese audio at this point I'm curious to give the English dub a shot.)

Shame this couldn't have been licensed and screened last December lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1