• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Status as an Assassin Obviously Exceeds the Hero's GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I am liking how isekai has evolved as a "genre"; this one is fun, then there are other ones where the mc literally decides to side with the demon king.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:42 am Reply with quote
And one where the MC is transported to a new world as part of the Demon king's forces (Lazy Dungeon Master).

I like this one, it reminds me of Shield Hero where the summoners are the evil ones.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Although both text and image do rely on the tired RPG tropes that have become a stale staple of this subgenre of isekai, they don't use them as a crutch, and we don't get frequent status updates or attack names, or even level designations for monsters or people. This helps the book to feel a little less tired than it otherwise might have and ups the readability of the volume significantly.

Which begs the question of why have it all? It just seems like bait to reel your average isekai reader. At least the de-empathsis on game mechanics might get me to read this.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:24 am Reply with quote
Fun fact - the author of the source light novels, Akai Matsuri, started writing Assassin as a webnovel while they were still in highschool (they started in early 2017, and got published 10 months later.)

One post on their webnovel account apologises for a lack of updates due to HS exams;
https://mypage.syosetu.com/mypageblog/view/userid/645154/blogkey/1715971/

And another for university preparation exams.
https://mypage.syosetu.com/mypageblog/view/userid/645154/blogkey/1820754/

The WN is still ongoing; I believe author is still at university.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1