• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Olympics Committee President: Games Will Be 'Scrapped' If Not Held in 2021

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:02 am Reply with quote
In other words, Mori's still pretty confident that the games will go on. I think that'll be a storyline for the Opening Ceremony, it would definitely be interesting to see.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:14 am Reply with quote
I hope it gets scrapped. The Olympics isn't needed.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:27 am Reply with quote
this news makes me so mad and sick to the stomach.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:02 am Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:

It would be a waste for the athletes who were going to participate, and there are probably some people who were looking forward to watching it.

If the whole situation doesn’t get better by then, though, it might be for the best.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
If some people in the committee are hoping for a vaccine to get approved before the Games in 2021, a cancellation is certainly inevitable when said vaccine becomes available in the middle of that year or later.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
I visited Japan last year for the Rugby World Cup and, while I was a little annoyed at the time that you could tell the RWC was being used as a warm up for the Olympics, it was still an awesome experience.

It would be a shame if the money and effort they have put in went to waste. If the worst happened, they could always skip 2020/2021 and they host 2024, 2024 host does 2028 etc.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:48 am Reply with quote
MischievousMelody wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:

It would be a waste for the athletes who were going to participate, and there are probably some people who were looking forward to watching it.

If the whole situation doesn’t get better by then, though, it might be for the best.

Not having the Olympics is no more of a waste than the city governments who waste millions of dollars to build Olympic stadiums that go to waste after hosting them.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:19 am Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
If some people in the committee are hoping for a vaccine to get approved before the Games in 2021, a cancellation is certainly inevitable when said vaccine becomes available in the middle of that year or later.

Keep in mind it's still a year's away. I'm very confident there will still be an Olympics next year. After all, Gilead announced positive results for a clinical trial of their COVID drug just today.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/04/29/gilead-says-trial-of-antiviral-remdesivir-shows-positive-data-in-coronavirus-patients/
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
XerneasYveltal wrote:

Keep in mind it's still a year's away. I'm very confident there will still be an Olympics next year. After all, Gilead announced positive results for a clinical trial of their COVID drug just today.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/04/29/gilead-says-trial-of-antiviral-remdesivir-shows-positive-data-in-coronavirus-patients/

I dont think having treatments matters as much as not having the disease in circulation. Youd still need to be at the point of hospitalization for receiving the treatment, not to mention needing to still self isolate for a few days afterwards.

~~~

Seems early to talk of cancelling especially in the context of countries like china and south korea controlling and decreasing disease prevalence

more significant problem are teams and having athletes get it if the disease is still pandemic in spring 2021...which they could avoid by not doing any of those promotional events 30 days before the event (or countries giving them a possible vaccine since athletes seem to get preferential treatment...)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
If the Olympics are not held in 2021, it would only be because things are quite worse than they are now, both viral and economic.

These stay out home and quarantine measures are only to give us the time to try and control the spread of the virus to some degree, but also give us the time to phase over to a new normal. The world can't be shutdown for that long without breaking things irrevocably.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Yet there are already expectations by some experts that social distancing may have to be extended till 2022 at least in some limited form. Even if there's a vaccine next year it will still take time to distribute it to enough people for it to take effect in stopping the spread of the virus. It's not like everything goes away the next day as soon as a vaccine is out.
Sobe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
MischievousMelody wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:

Not having the Olympics is no more of a waste than the city governments who waste millions of dollars to build Olympic stadiums that go to waste after hosting them.

That's the same logic idiots use to justify rolling coal or funding fossil fuel giants who have no intentions of lessening their climate impact.

Just because you're not interested or invested in something doesn't automatically mean it's a waste.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:

except japan alreayd put a lot of $$ into hosting them and needs to make some of it back.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Yet there are already expectations by some experts that social distancing may have to be extended till 2022 at least in some limited form. Even if there's a vaccine next year it will still take time to distribute it to enough people for it to take effect in stopping the spread of the virus. It's not like everything goes away the next day as soon as a vaccine is out.

Pfizer is developing a vaccine that's being tested as early as next week, and they're hoping to make it available by the fall.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Pfizer is developing a vaccine that's being tested as early as next week, and they're hoping to make it available by the fall.

they still need to scale it up to billions and assuming the most vulnerable get it first it should take months to even get 50 to 70% of a population vaccinated, also doesnt even address how countries with lesser developed healthcare systems will gain and disperse the vaccine in a timely manner with litrallt every country would want a vaccine at the same time. who will be prioritized.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2