• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Promised Neverland Manga Ends

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this manga really went downhill after a while. For the last few dozen chapters I was just hoping it would end already. I didn't even realize it was the last chapter while reading it.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:42 am Reply with quote
I do think the final chapter is a bit weak and that is also how I felt about Demon Slayer as well. However, I am fine with the all happy ending and I think some people need to chill about everything needing to be all gloomy and stuff.

I think the series had an amazing first arc and unfortunately because of how amazing it was, none of the arcs after quite lived up to it.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:01 pm Reply with quote
The first season adapted the first five volumes, so if they plan on adapting the entire series to animation--I'm guessing 4 total? Guess we'll see.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I think I prefer Demon Slayers ending to this ones. Even though I really liked the first three arcs, after that the series really goes down hill. spoiler[It actually reaches a point where demons are no longer scary; which was kind of stupid. At least in Demon Slayer the treat always seemed more real, especially given the amount of main characters that died at the end of that series, compared to nearly no one one dying in The Promised Neverlands final arc. ]
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Based on comments about manga endings on WSJ, is it true that most WSJ mangas endings have crappy endings? Are there a few WSJ mangas have a good endings?
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:39 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Based on comments about manga endings on WSJ, is it true that most WSJ mangas endings have crappy endings? Are there a few WSJ mangas have a good endings?

Yu Yu Hakusho and Slam Dunk both have pretty good endings but they're older series. I like the endings of Ansatsu Kyoshitsu and Medaka Box, to a certain extent. JoJo also usually has good endings. And I like the ending of Kimetsu no Yaiba even if I think the manga was too shrto.

The main thing is that a lot of series tend to have bad endings because they either get dragged on and lose steam (Bleach) or are cut short (a looooot of series). It's rare to see a WSJ manga that manages to get a nice & clean ending, much of it because of their editorial model.

That said, the case of Yakusoku no Neverland is particularly bad because the manga had been declining since the end of the second (or arguably first) arc to the point that it's a barely recognizable manga after a while. It really feels like Death Note which has a very memorable beginning and then just goes downhill after a certain point.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

Yu Yu Hakusho and Slam Dunk both have pretty good endings but they're older series. I like the endings of Ansatsu Kyoshitsu and Medaka Box, to a certain extent. JoJo also usually has good endings. And I like the ending of Kimetsu no Yaiba even if I think the manga was too shrto.

The main thing is that a lot of series tend to have bad endings because they either get dragged on and lose steam (Bleach) or are cut short (a looooot of series). It's rare to see a WSJ manga that manages to get a nice & clean ending, much of it because of their editorial model.

That said, the case of Yakusoku no Neverland is particularly bad because the manga had been declining since the end of the second (or arguably first) arc to the point that it's a barely recognizable manga after a while. It really feels like Death Note which has a very memorable beginning and then just goes downhill after a certain point.

I think you pretty much nailed it. After the first or maybe even second arc, the series just feels too different. The fact that time skips are used to rush over certain events doesn't help matters either.
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Agree, for a decade or so, most long running WSJ manga certainly had weak ending, not bad per se, simply much weaker than expected considering how high they tend to build the hype. YnN didn't managed to avoid the stereotyped rushed last arc and deus ex machina, however, in my opinion, looking at the big picture YnN has never been really bad, it could have been much better without this axed feeling but i would still recommend it.
Hopefully, Kaiu Shirai-sensei will return soon with another story.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Just read it...I’m gonna miss these kids.
My biggest issue with the ending is (very general criticism) spoiler[ in the last arc especially, all the conflicts were overcome too easily, and all the loose threads tied up too neatly]
Otherwise, I thought it was a good manga overall and Emma’s optimism was infectious.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

Wasn't Slam Dunk cut short though? I remembered that it still had a ways to go but then it just ended. The manga even introduced new potential rivals but we never got to see them face off with Shohoku. Still liked the final match though.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Slam Dunk was a domestic money printer (using Shueisha's numbers, IIRC the per volume averages were just a bit ahead of a certain peer we may have heard of, Dragonball). Also, at that particular time (1996), Slam Dunk was the main tentpole title for WSJ. Keep in mind that we on the outside tend to think of Shueisha as a company that would prefer its cashcows to keep on going, as opposed to the exact other way around. So, it's most likely that Slam Dunk ending is Inoue Takehiko's call. It's also commonly said that Inoue-sensei ended Slam Dunk cause he figured that he couldn't top what he had already written so far.

Anyway, nowadays the ending model for WSJ tends to be more binary:
0. You're not doing so hot; editors decide when you end (ie, the axe)
1. You're successful enough to decide when you end. When you feel like you're ready to end, you notify the editorial department of your intention to end in ~6 months. After that? Well hopefully you've planned things out properly to actually end in 6 months. If not, it'll either be messy, or if you're lucky, you get some time in another magazine to wrap things up like Gintama did.
Source: go fig, it's Sorachi-sensei of the aforementioned Gintama
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm7EsJZXgAAQ1lt?format=jpg&name=900x900

Incidentally, armed with that little nugget of info, a little game you can play if you have spare time would be to go back ~6 months from the end of a recent successful WSJ series and re-examine the state of the series. Be it either inside the series plot-wise, or even outside meta stuff like sales (for example, Kimetsu no Yaiba in early-mid November was at 800-900k sales per volume).

Edit: Oh, fun note. Given that We Never Learn is currently projected to last another... 24 chapters or so, that probably means that Tsutsui Taishi probably gave his 6 months notice either earlier this month or around now. So around the start of the, oh, third out of five ending routes.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Dang, Jump just lost two of its best selling and most acclaimed manga in the span of one month. Hope they have plans on how to mitigate the sales drop.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I didn't mind the ending. It was kinda predictable and whatever but it was sort of bittersweet so it wasn't all happy. was kinda lame that it relied on a completely convenient coincidence...
But I don't think any manga will ever have an ending everyone will be satisfied with, especially not a long running shonen jump manga.

I agree that nothing after the first arc had the same intensity and stuff, and I much preferred the first arc than the rest, but I also feel like, the first arc was only like 10% of the story, and most of the story was shonen action and friendship power stuff so in that regard the "different feel" was actually the predominant one, and the mind-game cat and mouse storyline was the outlier.

I don't really expect SJ manga to be particularly intelligent, so the series devolution into a kind of generic storyline wasn't a surprise. I really enjoy the series Summer Time Rendering and it went from being a mystery to being a bit of a typical shonen vibe series so ... it's kinda part for the course. You need to mix smarts with bang bang action to keep the fans somewhat interested.

Interested in seeing which of the new replacements manage to make it to more than like 3 volumes. The axe forever hovers slightly above the mangaka's heads.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
IMO ever since Bleach and Naruto ending, Jump had a massive increase in variety, and TPN was one of the titles that spearheaded that change. Despite losing a lot of its spark after the first arc, the author and artist has done good work. They definitely deserve their credit.

The ending itself was fine, but I do get the feeling it could have been wrapped up sooner.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Dang, Jump just lost two of its best selling and most acclaimed manga in the span of one month. Hope they have plans on how to mitigate the sales drop.

They'll be fine. Demon Slayer is on course to sell absolutely crazy amounts, and much of that is people buying older volumes (as opposed to, say, One Piece, where the bulk of sales comes from the ~4 volumes that come out in a year's time), and Neverland will almost certainly see another surge when the anime returns next year. Jujutsu Kaisen's also seen a sales bump from the anime announcement, and Chainsaw man is already selling fantastic numbers without any adaptation on the horizon. Also, while not in the print magazine, SPY X FAMILY is already selling better than Black Clover, so they've got plenty of reliable titles to work with still.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2