• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Force Anime's Season 2 Video Highlights New Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micah007

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I have not enjoyed Fire Force as much as I was hoping I would and initially I didn't find many of the characters memorable so I wasn't that excited for Season 2 before I watched the preview. However, I've got a good feeling as though the series has found its footing which is encouraging. I didn't particularly enjoy Season 1 until roughly the second half, probably around the start of Benimaru's Arc, so hopefully the series can continue its momentum as the cast and world expand.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:00 am Reply with quote
I also didn't enjoy it that much, and I'm a fan of battle shounen. It's just subpar compared to some shounen titles lately, or maybe because I've been watching the good ones (MHA, Demon Slayer, Mob Psycho). Even though I find the premise interesting, and the story direction so far is promising, it just looks shallow and arcs are having too easy conclusion, judging from season 1.
Piexouar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
I also didn't enjoy it that much, and I'm a fan of battle shounen. It's just subpar compared to some shounen titles lately, or maybe because I've been watching the good ones (MHA, Demon Slayer, Mob Psycho). Even though I find the premise interesting, and the story direction so far is promising, it just looks shallow and arcs are having too easy conclusion, judging from season 1.

>I've been watching the good ones
>Demon Slayer
I mean your criticism could apply to this show as well. The story is very bare bones, the very definition of shallow.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:31 am Reply with quote
Piexouar wrote:

>Demon Slayer
I mean your criticism could apply to this show as well. The story is very bare bones, the very definition of shallow.

Let's agree to disagree. I don't think the story of Demon Slayer is shallow at all. The story is indeed more character-driven and the complexity revolves around their individual stories, which makes the characters compelling. What I find interesting about Demon Slayer the most is the visual storytelling which guides the audience to a character study (and no, it's not that "oh, such pretty visual since Ufotable"), it's been there since the original source aka the manga. The first major use of this storytelling can be seen in the Spider Mountain arc, which can be easily overlooked if you only focused on the story progression. I would write an in-depth essay if I have to continue talking about it, but what I find 'deep' about Demon Slayer is the stuff that is actually not easy to notice on the surface, it's the little details layered underneath it.
Piexouar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:05 am Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
Piexouar wrote:

>Demon Slayer

Let's agree to disagree. I don't think the story of Demon Slayer is shallow at all. The story is indeed more character-driven and the complexity revolves around their individual stories, which makes the characters compelling. What I find interesting about Demon Slayer the most is the visual storytelling which guides the audience to a character study (and no, it's not that "oh, such pretty visual since Ufotable"), it's been there since the original source aka the manga. The first major use of this storytelling can be seen in the Spider Mountain arc, which can be easily overlooked if you only focused on the story progression. I would write an in-depth essay if I have to continue talking about it, but what I find 'deep' about Demon Slayer is the stuff that is actually not easy to notice on the surface, it's the little details layered underneath it.

Yeah, let's agree to disagree. I had the same impression as you when I first watched the anime and I'm not gonna lie the adaptation definitely elevates the source material, hence why I decided to read the manga and it was one of the most disappointing experiences I've had in a while. In my humble opinion things get progressively worse after the next arc. Yes, it's a character-driven series, but it stops being compelling when the author constantly repeats the same tricks and tropes. You just see it coming. It's not a bad series by all means, I just had higher expectations after enjoying the first season so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1