• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Supreme Court Rejects Koei Tecmo's Appeal of Capcom's Patent Lawsuit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
CAPCOM argued that KOEI Tecmo infringed on Patent A with "new content acquired through using a previous game and new software" and on Patent B with "a controller-vibrating feature when enemies are nearby."

Those don't sound like unique features, though....?
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:58 am Reply with quote
Wrong decision.

Capcom doesn't even have the most famous use of using a prior version of a game to import content. Rock Band, anyone?

Hell, Might and Magic IV and V, if you want to go back a number of years. There was probably "prior art" before that, but that's at least the earliest I could think of.
Cranium

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
There was probably "prior art" before that, but that's at least the earliest I could think of.

Wizardry II (1982) required you to import save from the previous game.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Quote:
CAPCOM argued that KOEI Tecmo infringed on Patent A with "new content acquired through using a previous game and new software" and on Patent B with "a controller-vibrating feature when enemies are nearby."

Those don't sound like unique features, though....?

They're not. Especially the former. Games have been importing save data in sequels for decade. Even thinking solely of Japanese games, the .hack series (consisting of 7 games) was built on top of that functionality.

Frankly I'm astonished it's even possible to patent something so simple and generic. You can bet your ass Ubisoft is wishing they'd bothered to patent the AC-style enemy stealth indicator that so many subsequent games have copied with zero alteration.
methedemon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow...the ruling is BS and it's so petty by CAPCOM anyway...
I have heard that the Japanese judiciary system is bad...maybe there is truth to that claim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1