• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Eternal Films' Clip Teases Super Sailor Saturn's 1st Ever Transformation Animation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dextres

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:38 pm Reply with quote
THAT IT??????

I was more into the other previews of Super sailor moon eternal(2nd part ), then this.

This was just fanfare to drive traffic for something lukewarm. And to make it even more lame is selling me super sailor saturn in this mess of a preview.

And yes I know it just a preview and not the movie. My expectations arent ridiculous high just

A lukewarm aftertaste. Not great but then again im coming from hot manga releases that were lit just a few hours ago so that why i feel this way at the moment.

These future previews. COULD DO SO MUCH BETTER.

Last edited by Dextres on Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I’ve been looking forward to Sailor Saturn finally getting a transformation after all these years. I think her transformation looks amazing and I can’t wait to see the full one. I’m also happy Sailor Pluto gets a transformation since she got shafted in s3.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Saturn’s transformation was underwhelming.
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:16 am Reply with quote
I don't watch that series but I actually expected more from her transformation. That was a total letdown.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:06 am Reply with quote
Wow. Saturn finally got a transformation? Never thought I'd see the day.
Napul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:54 am Reply with quote
Watanabefan wrote:

It happened a long time ago in manga. Just now we finally getting to see it adapted.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:40 am Reply with quote
Napul wrote:
Watanabefan wrote:

It happened a long time ago in manga. Just now we finally getting to see it adapted.

there was also a sega saturn game that featured her transformation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_N9mAKKyV8
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
Napul wrote:

Comparing the two, they're definitely using the Sega game as a base for her transformation, which is kind of a shame, since it doesn't really fit thematically with the other Outer Senshi's very consistent lipstick-and-earring endings.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
Ah, so I wasn't the only one that noticed that it referenced the video game a bit.

Maybe it's me, but I feel like this is a consequence of being to attached to the older version of the anime. They really copied everything from the 90's, which is kind of a shame.

I thought season 3 looked so much better and had a bit more life in its animation. The movie may have pretty bright colors but it still seems flat imo.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Ah, so I wasn't the only one that noticed that it referenced the video game a bit.

Maybe it's me, but I feel like this is a consequence of being to attached to the older version of the anime. They really copied everything from the 90's, which is kind of a shame.

I thought season 3 looked so much better and had a bit more life in its animation. The movie may have pretty bright colors but it still seems flat imo.

i agree with you. like, i understand that sailor moon is a huge, nostalgic thing for a lot of people in their 20s and 30s and even for younger folks, if it's being aired/streamed/you watched it illegally or bought/inherited the DVDs from someone.

but sailor moon crystal's huge stumbling point for me has been how devoted it is to the original, to the point where it's just a pale imitation. we HAVE the 90s original, with a pretty good, uncut english dub. and the dic/cloverway dubs are still preserved online for people who want some good old cheese. (i particularly like the sailor moon says youtube channel where the owner uploads the most out of context, batshit hilarious moments. "GO BLEACH YOUR ROOTS, CREEP!")

i think season 3 of crystal was a lot better than the first two, but man, i'm actually among the small minority who really adores supers and i hope this movie project does it justice.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:16 am Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
Napul wrote:
Watanabefan wrote:

There was also Crystal season 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXQYbKikdgo
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I've seen fan ones from users like Celeurmouy and Starseed86 that were better, Saturn's here is too simplified, if they could make Mercury's transformation spectacular, why not Saturn? Sad

Uranus and Neptune's were the best of the four no doubt, but I don't know why Pluto's is just a recycling of the 90's one, down to the sound effects. That's a problem Eternal has, in some points visual wise it's looking too close to the original one.
SilvaStreamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
kamen_otaku81 wrote:
I don't watch that series but I actually expected more from her transformation. That was a total letdown.

Yeah I agree. I was expecting her staff to be part of the hensin like Pluto's but I guess this is better than nothing.

On a side note: What about Sailor Pluto - she's the only senshi who doesn't show an image of her planet at her ending pose? they better do something about this aswl.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:35 am Reply with quote
Finally an honest to good Sailor Saturn transformation after what, 30 years? Good things indeed DO come to those who wait!

Vee-Tee wrote:
but sailor moon crystal's huge stumbling point for me has been how devoted it is to the original, to the point where it's just a pale imitation. we HAVE the 90s original, with a pretty good, uncut english dub. and the dic/cloverway dubs are still preserved online for people who want some good old cheese. (i particularly like the sailor moon says youtube channel where the owner uploads the most out of context, batshit hilarious moments. "GO BLEACH YOUR ROOTS, CREEP!")

i think season 3 of crystal was a lot better than the first two, but man, i'm actually among the small minority who really adores supers and i hope this movie project does it justice.

This is a touchy topic in the Sailor Moon fandom that goes way back to Crystals premier in 2014. Fans of the original anime who’ve never read the manga hated crystal because it was so different from said anime, while manga purists (which I am guilty of being apart of at one point) wanted a more faithful adaption of the manga, which is what we somewhat got with Crystal. Needless to say the fanbase split clean down the middle. Then comes season 3 with an entire new production/animation team. This is where Crystal started homaging the 90s anime a little too much imo, something that was carried into to the Eternal movies, seeing as some of the transformations and attacks are mirror copies of that of the 90s anime.

To;dr the fandom split in two, anime elitists and manga purists, and it’s all but impossible to please both sides. For me personally, SuperS has always been my least favorite season of the 90s anime so I’m really looking forward to these movies.
SilvaStreamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Found it. Sailor Pluto's nearly-complete transformation. It features a photo of planet Pluto as backdrop on her ending pose. Beautiful!

https://youtu.be/3KJw4RepaSg
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1