• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hatsu*Haru GN 13

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anpansparking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
what's also interesting to note is that the epilogue section of the final chapter takes pains to show us that high school love may turn out to be True Love for some people, but for others, it's just a stop along the way.

Is this referring to one of the main four pairings? I kind of thought it might be referring to spoiler[Ayumi and Taka, since she announces she's going to America, but his text about learning English seems to imply he's going with her.]

At any rate, I really enjoyed Hatsu*Haru overall, but I have to admit that I hate the whole spoiler["couple winds up in a long distance relationship at the very end of the series"] trope so much that it almost ruined it for me. It seems to be weirdly common in shoujo manga, for some reason.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
anpansparking wrote:

Is this referring to one of the main four pairings? I kind of thought it might be referring to spoiler[Ayumi and Taka, since she announces she's going to America, but his text about learning English seems to imply he's going with her.]

That is what I meant - despite volume twelve (eleven? I read them all at once and they kind of blurred together) trying to show them as working out, I never quite bought them as a forever couple. But maybe I'm just being cynical.

Quote:
At any rate, I really enjoyed Hatsu*Haru overall, but I have to admit that I hate the whole spoiler["couple winds up in a long distance relationship at the very end of the series"] trope so much that it almost ruined it for me. It seems to be weirdly common in shoujo manga, for some reason.

Same. It is a weirdly common trope and I am thoroughly sick of it. A friend and I were talking about odd shoujo tropes, and that and Debt Dad are probably the two that I find the most bizarre.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

Same. It is a weirdly common trope and I am thoroughly sick of it. A friend and I were talking about odd shoujo tropes, and that and Debt Dad are probably the two that I find the most bizarre.

Has the protective ojou with her two cronies in tow constantly yelling at the main character for being within eyesight of whoever finally stopped being a thing? I haven't seen it in a while, but I also haven't read many newer shoujo series lately. That might be number one for me, and I would welcome its death.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
After reading so many of these, I've gotten the impression that in Japan it's considered romantic in a tragic sort of way for a couple to be separated by a twist of fate, hence the reason for these types of endings.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I've known a few friends who went through some period of geographic separation from their partners (teaching or volunteering abroad, etc, not specifically with the intent of a relational separation) and they would say it was a really important/good experience for giving them distance to view and understand themselves and their relationship, before taking a step into something more significant like marriage. Hearing those stories gave me a little more patience for the trope in manga, if an author can otherwise use the situation to show some fresh aspects to the characters/relationships. BUT it absolutely does seem like the easy way to throw in a quick "big conflict" to wrap up the series, in most (if not all) cases.

(on another note, i am all for a "true love" reading of spoiler[Taka and Ayumi]'s relationship :D i read shoujo for the happy endings! (but i make no insistence that my interpretation must be the correct one.))
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1