• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Musashi Gundoh => Plan 9 of anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TcDohl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
You know when something's so bad, it's good? Well, what about Musashi Gundoh? From its terrible story, crap-luster animation with over the top action, terrible opening (Breaking your head?), electric sword action, and orange beams shooting out of guns, one has to wonder whether or not Monkey Punch actually meant it to be this bad. When I watch the anime, I just laugh, not with the story, but really at the series. It's really no wonder how it's sort of become an internet phenomenon within the anime fandom on the internet not only in Japan, but also in the English-speaking world as well.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Gundou Musashi is just so pathetic it really amazes me that Monkey Punch, whose status is legendary in the anime world for creating Lupin the 3rd, could create something so terrible. I enjoyed the Lupin movies and thought Gundou Musashi would be good. WOW. Just WOW. Even I could tell the timing was off. A samurai fighting with guns. Last I checked, samurais fought with swords.

What amazes me is that 21 people voted it as a masterpiece. Yeah right. Rolling Eyes . Dubbed Yu-Gi-Oh!'s even better than Musashi. It defineatly is the Plan 9 of anime. You got that right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Bat wrote:
What amazes me is that 21 people voted it as a masterpiece. Yeah right. Rolling Eyes . Dubbed Yu-Gi-Oh!'s even better than Musashi. It defineatly is the Plan 9 of anime. You got that right.

Well, if you look at it like some people look at the first episode of Suzumiya Haruhi, it's understandable. People claim that it did "just about everything badly - to the point where it was simply hilarious - probably on purpose." So if it's so bad that it's laugh out loud hilarious, then I can see where the "masterpiece" votes are coming from.
AutoGyro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Shonen Bat wrote:

Well, if you look at it like some people look at the first episode of Suzumiya Haruhi, it's understandable. People claim that it did "just about everything badly - to the point where it was simply hilarious - probably on purpose." So if it's so bad that it's laugh out loud hilarious, then I can see where the "masterpiece" votes are coming from.

I keep saying that ADV needs to license that anime and dub it like they did with Ghost Stories. That would be AWESOME...if done correctly!
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
AutoGyro wrote:
I keep saying that ADV needs to license that anime and dub it like they did with Ghost Stories. That would be AWESOME...if done correctly!

Honestly, it'd be even funnier with an overblown, extremely (mock)serious dub.

I also proclaim love for the Gundoh Musashi masterpiece!
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

That's probably some of it, but there's a bit more to it than that. There was a wikichan article (not online anymore I think) that proclaimed Musashi Gundoh as being the most legendary, awesome anime in existance. It linked to the ANN encyclopedia entry telling people to help them prove that by rating it a masterpiece... Anyway...

Musashi = QUALITY

Uo Mabushi!
smoochy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
I don't trust anything from Monkey Punch unless it says Lupin. And even then, I'm wary of that sometimes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1