• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The ANN Aftershow - Attack on Titan Episode 71 - Down with the Eldian Empire!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbinzan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
@27:58: James, you joked about Hitch being named after the Will Smith movie... but honestly, it's not that far-fetched! I own the Attack on Titan Character Encyclopedia, and in it, Isayama revealed that Sasha was named after Sacha Baron Cohen, and Levi was named after a kid in the Jesus Camp documentary. Laughing Other tidbits from the Character Encyclopedia: Annie's hairstyle was inspired by a paparazzi photo of Avril Lavigne; Erwin was based on a guy in Paris Hilton's "Paris For President" music video; and Reiner is a combination of David Beckham, Matt Damon, and one of Isayama's friends! LOL.

Last edited by Tenbinzan on Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenbinzan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:02 pm Reply with quote
A small correction: James said "half the cast was named after battleships," but that's not true. It was just Mikasa. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Isayama said he heard that a series will be successful if the female lead character is named after a battleship.

You guys might be thinking of Neon Genesis Evangelion, where half the cast really was named after Imperial Japanese warships (including the female leads: Rei, Asuka, and Misato): https://wiki.evageeks.org/Warships_in_Evangelion#Character_Namesakes_.28WWII_era_Imperial_Japanese_Navy_warships.29

As for Erwin Smith being named after Erwin Rommel: That's a popular fan theory, since Smith's birthday is October 14, and Rommel was forced to commit suicide on October 14, 1944, after he was implicated in the plot to assassinate Hitler. But it's just a theory. Isayama never confirmed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1