• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer Talks about Highlander

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Chiyosuke:
Quote:
Heh heh, I found it pretty interesting that Imagi use to own Madhouse

It sounds like BS, since I've never even heard of Imagi until recently. Most likely,
it's just a situation where one of MadHouse's shareholders jumped ship to Imagi, and so now Munroe can claim they "owned" the latter company at one point.
Rolling Eyes

Munroe the dick:

Quote:
We owned at one point Madhouse in Japan, which is not the top tier but it's in the second tier level of anime houses.

Yes, after seeing that TMNT ad, I've completely forgotten why I ever liked that company. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And we wanted to do a project that's taking a western iconic project and do it in the anime process. It wasn't easy because the Japanese in anime, the director is the director. There is no producer coming and giving notes. He gets up in the morning, he goes there and this is the way the movie's going to go. They don't follow conventional storylines of beginning, middle and end. It's really whatever they feel like.

Wait, so how many sequels and spin-offs are there of Highlander again?

Quote:
"But with Kawajiri, we were able to get him to tell the story in a more traditional western way. All the 'Spirited Away' and all the ones that have gone on have not really rocketed hugely overseas because in our opinion, they're not as accessible in the story. Visually, they're phenomenal and we love it but it's story for us and the Japanese don't necessarily have happy endings.

Yes, the Animatrix and Princess Mononoke did poorly on dvd. Oh, wait!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes, the Animatrix and Princess Mononoke did poorly on dvd. Oh, wait!

Well, there is some truth to that. Animatrix did well because it was piggybacking off a hugely popular domestic film. Princess Mononoke didn't do poorly, but by sales standards it wasn't stellar either they are the exceptions, even anime films are a fairly niche market here. I'm not saying I buy in to everything he's saying, but just because he's saying it doesn't automatically mean there's no truth behind any of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Deleted

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:52 am; edited 3 times in total
bill1234

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The first one was cool the rest including this anime sucks...... Razz Cool Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn: The Animatrix did well, because the fans of The Matrix liked the legal(and illegal) downloads they were able to obtain of it. It would have only been marginally successful like those Van Helsing and Riddick animated spin-offs if it was just considered a cash-in, and not something which was meant to add to the universe of the series. As for Mononoke, it was one of the best-selling dvds of 2000. Howl was one of the best-selling dvds of 2006, and that didn't even have
a plot.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Maybe, that's all conjecture. No one I know downloaded the Animatrix before buying it and while that isn't exactly an accurate poll of the consumers who purchased it I think it's pretty reasonable to consider that many of the people who bought the Animatrix DVD's did so because it was Matrix related or heard about it through other sources. On a side note, I didn't like Animatrix at all, the one about those kids that found the house that was glitchy was the only one I felt was any good.

As for the DVD sales, it is interesting as I checked Billboards charts (which is still only preliminary top 10 for 2006 releases) and 2000 charts and Howl's wasn't mentioned in that top 10 and Princess Mononoke wasn't on the top seller charts either and since I had to sign in to most sites I found the charts on to see where exactly it fell in the ranks I didn't really want to sign up just for that info. I'd certainly like to see the links to those rankings though if I can offer them.

Now, let's say that you're right and forget that argument for now, it still doesn't matter much. You're talking a handful of titles here and generally anime films don't sell well, even the ones you labelled are either piggybacking a domestic release from Ghibli, a studio that has managed to develop a reputation for itself amongst film fans globally, not to mention their newer titles are released by Disney and included in Disney's marketing campaigns including trailers on all their other non-anime releases.

Now again, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this guy, but while he might not sound like such a good person, although I think he might still be a bit over-vilified here, some of these responses don't really sound a whole lot better than he does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
No one I know downloaded the Animatrix before buying it

Good for your acquaintances, but the official site still crashed and lagged because of all the downloads. The screening I went to was packed, too.

Quote:
and while that isn't exactly an accurate poll of the consumers who purchased it I think it's pretty reasonable to consider that many of the people who bought the Animatrix DVD's did so because it was Matrix related

Then they would have bought the Riddick and Van Helsing cartoons for the same reason.

Quote:
or heard about it through other sources.

But why would they buy a collection from anime directors they don't even know, just because it has "The Matrix" on it? I mean, yeah, the game made money, but as soon as it got bad WOM, the second one didn't fare as well.

Quote:
As for the DVD sales, it is interesting as I checked Billboards charts (which is still only preliminary top 10 for 2006 releases) and 2000 charts and Howl's wasn't mentioned in that top 10 and Princess Mononoke wasn't on the top seller charts either and since I had to sign in to most sites I found the charts on to see where exactly it fell in the ranks I didn't really want to sign up just for that info. I'd certainly like to see the links to those rankings though if I can offer them.

Well first off, Billboard's specialty is music sales, not dvd sales. Second, if you want links, try thesetwo
for starters.

Quote:
You're talking a handful of titles here and generally anime films don't sell well,

They sell well enough, which is what matters in the business.

Quote:
Now again, don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this guy, but while he might not sound like such a good person, although I think he might still be a bit over-vilified here,

Sorry, but I don't like a guy who trashes a genre he's exploiting for cash. If he thinks American productions are better, than he should just produce American cartoons.
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Perchance does Yoshiki wear a dashiki? Wink
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Then they would have bought the Riddick and Van Helsing cartoons for the same reason.

They would have, and I'm sure some did. But let's face it, Riddick is a significantly less popular franchise than the Matrix and Dark Fury is just a short that wasn't received very well. Animatrix on the other hand was quite well received, although I disagree, and with that behind it and the fact it's based on a huge franchise at the peak of its popularity that is certainly a contributing factor. I'm not saying nobody downloaded it, I'm just saying it's feasible that a significant portion of those that purchased it did so for other reasons.

Quote:
But why would they buy a collection from anime directors they don't even know, just because it has "The Matrix" on it? I mean, yeah, the game made money, but as soon as it got bad WOM, the second one didn't fare as well.

That's enough for some, some might just want the whole collection, and in other cases they got it through the promotion that many retailers were doing that allowed them to pick up the film and the Animatrix DVD for only a marginal cost increase. It was also highly publicized, advertised, was well received by fans and many critics and simply, word of mouth spreads.

Quote:
Well first off, Billboard's specialty is music sales, not dvd sales. Second, if you want links, try these two for starters.

True, but their numbers are still fairly accurate. It wasn't the only source I checked, but it is the most familiar. Unfortunately the first one only shows weekly sales, even mediocre titles top those fairly often and the second only shows top anime sales which isn't really relevant here.

Quote:
They sell well enough, which is what matters in the business.

Yes, but selling "well enough" isn't what he was referring too.

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't like a guy who trashes a genre he's exploiting for cash. If he thinks American productions are better, than he should just produce American cartoons.

I don't know, I don't really think he was trashing the genre. I think what he was trying to say is that what most anime provides as far as story goes doesn't really work well with a mainstream audience, and he's probably right there. Just like his comment that Madhouse is a 2nd tier studio isn't a huge deal to me because all it seemed like he was saying is that they're no Ghibli caliber studio, and indeed they are not, that doesn't mean they're bad. But, you're free to hate him if you like, I was just saying it seems some of these reactions seem a little extreme.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Here's a synopsis
okay... so they're throwing out ANOTHER Highlander? this time a Colin MacLeod? that'd make, what? 4 now if you count Quentin from the Animated Series? damn, that MacLeod line is prolific when it comes to tossing out Immortals!
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
But let's face it, Riddick is a significantly less popular franchise than the Matrix and Dark Fury is just a short that wasn't received very well. Animatrix on the other hand was quite well received,

Thus supporting my point, while contradicting Munroe's argument that anime does "poorly", because audiences can't deal with its "writing" style.

Quote:
the fact it's based on a huge franchise at the peak of its popularity that is certainly a contributing factor.

But it still did well, in spite of people complaining about Reloaded.

Quote:
Unfortunately the first one only shows weekly sales,

For an anime film which got mixed reviews and a marginal release, that's damn good. It did better than Serenity, anyway.

Quote:
Yes, but selling "well enough" isn't what he was referring too.

He was referring to the films not being successful. But the industry is obviously very lucrative, even in spite of recent changes, if his company's trying to jump on the band-wagon.

Quote:
I think what he was trying to say is that what most anime provides as far as story goes doesn't really work well with a mainstream audience, and he's probably right there.

So then why would he make these "niche" shows into big-budget films?

Quote:
Just like his comment that Madhouse is a 2nd tier studio isn't a huge deal to me because all it seemed like he was saying is that they're no Ghibli caliber studio, and indeed they are not,

Ghibli can produce a movie every few years, but Madhouse has at least 4-5 shows in the pipe-line every year. And people who' ve compared The Girl Who Leaped Through Time with Gedo Senkai might also disagree.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Thus supporting my point, while contradicting Munroe's argument that anime does "poorly", because audiences can't deal with its "writing" style.

Perhaps, but it's still isolated and I'm still fairly confident that there were other contributing factors involved in its sales numbers.

Quote:
But it still did well, in spite of people complaining about Reloaded.

It did, however many people, such as myself, were still optimistic that Revolutions would make up for Reloaded.

Quote:
For an anime film which got mixed reviews and a marginal release, that's damn good. It did better than Serenity, anyway.

True, but Serenity is also somewhat of a niche title.

Quote:
He was referring to the films not being successful. But the industry is obviously very lucrative, even in spite of recent changes, if his company's trying to jump on the band-wagon.

I don't think he was saying the films weren't successful, just seemed to me that he was saying that he believes an anime catering towards a US audience has more potential. Not sure I agree with him on that but that's what I got out of his comments.

Quote:
So then why would he make these "niche" shows into big-budget films?

Because he seems to think he can make them work. I doubt he can, but hey, he's free to try.

Quote:
Ghibli can produce a movie every few years, but Madhouse has at least 4-5 shows in the pipe-line every year. And people who' ve compared The Girl Who Leaped Through Time with Gedo Senkai might also disagree.

Maybe, but if I took Madhouses titles and put them up against Ghibli's I'm pretty confident I'd put Ghibli's a tier above them. We're not talking the difference between best and worst, only the difference between amazing and great. In general I would not put Madhouse at the level of Ghibli, but that's me, you might disagree with that however it's just an opinion, no different than the fact that his is also just an opinion.
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
don't' say that yet, it could definately be a shocker.

It would have to be nothing like any of the movies or the tv show to be any good.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
You must not like Highlander very much. The first movie was great and Endgame was okay only because the TV and Movie characters meet up with each other. The cartoon was pretty cool too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
Perhaps, but it's still isolated and I'm still fairly confident that there were other contributing factors involved in its sales numbers.

There were obviously other factors, but WOM through the downloads was obviously the main one.

Quote:
It did, however many people, such as myself, were still optimistic that Revolutions would make up for Reloaded.

Whether they were optimistic is besides the point. In terms of reception, the Animatrix was still more successful than Revolutions. Otherwise, Kawajiri wouldn't have gotten more work here.

Quote:
True, but Serenity is also somewhat of a niche title.

Yes, but Whedon should theoretically be more of a recognizeable name here.

Quote:
Maybe, but if I took Madhouses titles and put them up against Ghibli's I'm pretty confident I'd put Ghibli's a tier above them.We're not talking the difference between best and worst, only the difference between amazing and great.

And yet, over the years, the positive superlatives from audiences have been shifting from productions made at Ghibli to those at Madhouse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3