• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ken Akamatsu's UQ Holder! Manga Ends in 9 Chapters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:42 am Reply with quote
It about time to put Touta story to a close and end it all once and for all.
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:01 am Reply with quote
I read the manga a while ago and haven't been following it since around the time the anime ended. How has the manga been since then? I feel like its popularity pales in comparison to negima (no evidence to back it though).
Kara Destare

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:31 am Reply with quote
Well I hope it is able to stick the landing. Shame it's not gonna last as long as Negima did as after a rough start, UQ really became a great manga.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah I haven't been keeping up with the series anymore. Hope it ends on a fulfilling note
matt78

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:35 am Reply with quote
It will never happen but I wish this or Negima would get a complete anime adaption. Especially Negima since it has long been one of my favorite manga.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
Like many here, I fell off reading this series after a while. I'm curious if it will have a satisfying ending.
LuScr

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:59 am Reply with quote
The manga got much harder to follow with the schedule slip. I'm not even sure how often it's released, anymore. Nine more chapters, and that's going to take until next February?
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:39 am Reply with quote
I guess that explains why it's been spoiler[time skipping] the past year. Also got a feeling they're trying to wrap up the Negima story too with the way it's going. Especially with the latest chapter implying spoiler[Yukihime killed Negi and is now possessed by Ialda].

LuScr wrote:
The manga got much harder to follow with the schedule slip. I'm not even sure how often it's released, anymore. Nine more chapters, and that's going to take until next February?

The story mentions that if it's on schedule, it should end in Feb. 2022. So if it misses a month, who knows if that means it's short a chapter or is extended a month?
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I've been picking up the English releases up to the current and it's pretty good in my opinion, in so far as you're a fan of Negima. The big cast all manage to have their moments. The post Negima events are pretty interesting. The fight scenes and powers are all outrageous and fun and even the typical ecchi Akamatsu stuff at least manages to be creative enough for a chuckle. I'm interested to see how they resolve the things that Negima left open and seeing some closure to Evangeline's story. So yeah, glad to know the end is in sight.

So this means that volume 27 will be the last?
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 7:38 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
It will never happen but I wish this or Negima would get a complete anime adaption. Especially Negima since it has long been one of my favorite manga.

Agreed. I'm a big fan of Mahou Sensei Negima and now that the manga is complete, I really wish it would get an anime reboot that follows the manga entirely.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
This reminds me that I should revisit the anime and its dub at some point. Is the manga available here in the states?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 10:17 am Reply with quote
UQ Holder! stands as the first anime I've seen where I'd read the relevant manga beforehand. And boy was the adaptation a rushed mess, going far beyond what the earlier Akamatsu adaptations like Love Hina and Negima! '05 were criticized for. Though some arcs and characters in UQ Holder! didn't really need to be there, so I can't fault the anime for cutting them out. I can't help feeling a little disappointed in UQ Holder! overall, though I think that's more on me for just wishing for more Negima, and "more of the same," instead of accepting that artists may want to change and evolve over time. And I should've seen this coming, as Akamatsu's been moving towards shounen action manga for a long time. Not just with Negima, but also with some of the martial-arts/swordplay components in the later parts of Love Hina. Even A.I. Love You had a confrontation with a villain who bore some resemblance to Fate Averruncus near the end.

And at least UQ Holder! isn't getting a super-abrupt axing, though the story seems to have been set up so that a final confrontation with The Big Bad could take place at any time, in the event of the manga's unceremonious cancellation.

I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
This reminds me that I should revisit the anime and its dub at some point. Is the manga available here in the states?

Quote:
Kodansha Comics publishes the manga in English, and it published the 21st volume last December.

https://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=15602
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I dropped it when I got confused about who was the "good guys" and the "bad guys". Maybe that shows how infantile is my taste in anime but I'm the one paying $10 per volume.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I loved love hina, Mao chan, and the first section of negima . But at some point akamatsu either intentionally sabotaged his work or spontaneously lost his talent . Because negima became crap and uq shouldn't have even been made.

And it went down hill well before the spat with the publsiher. I think he lost his touch when he atopped doing classic harem hijinks and started throwing in battles and weird time gaps and dead people being alive and dead and God I don't even know anymore .

Look you don't have to on crazy to try to reinvent yourself . Sure each progressive work loses something but Takahashi even know for the most part still puts out enjoyable stuff. No need to reinvent yourself some people enjoy nostalgia .
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The most recent UQ Holder chapter showed that Akamatsu-sensei was at least aware that there were stories unexplored in Negima. I wouldn't mind seeing some of these tales explored in some kind "Tales" manga series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2