• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Spike Chunsoft Unveils AI: The Somnium Files - nirvanA Initiative Sequel Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Surprise sequel!
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
If you had asked me yesterday if I thought AI: Somnium Files needed a sequel, I would say absolutely not, since the ending of that game was perfect.

But you know what? I'm still excited for this. I adore Mizuki and I'm excited to see her grown up, and to spend more time with Aiba and anyone else who shows up as well.

I also might have rewatched the ending spoiler[dance number] and cried a little bit after watching the trailer.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:57 pm Reply with quote
The emphasis on Zero Escape is really curious, between labeling it as being made by "Team Zero Escape" to Mizuki playing 999 in the trailer. Wonder if that's actually going to lead to anything.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Woah! Definitely wasn’t expecting this, especially since it was hard to gauge exactly how well AI Somnium Files sold. I hope that ZeroEscape reference means Uchikoshi is still involved in this project! I’m always excited to see more of the ZeroEscape universe! Very Happy
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
If you had asked me yesterday if I thought AI: Somnium Files needed a sequel, I would say absolutely not, since the ending of that game was perfect

I expect a lot of retcons like Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Escape Dilemma Uchikoshi sequels are usually poorly written.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:28 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
[I expect a lot of retcons like Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Escape Dilemma Uchikoshi sequels are usually poorly written.

The only real "retcons" in VLR was the connections between Free the Soul and the bad guy, and some parts of how psychics work (which ultimately isn't a big deal). Otherwise 999 was a pretty self-contained and low stakes game, and VLR doesn't interfere with any of that. Not like retcons even make something "poorly written", since retcons exist in just about any serialized narrative you can think of (since writers don't just come up with the entire story and mythology of something before they've even finished writing a single thing).
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:37 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
If you had asked me yesterday if I thought AI: Somnium Files needed a sequel, I would say absolutely not, since the ending of that game was perfect

I expect a lot of retcons like Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Escape Dilemma Uchikoshi sequels are usually poorly written.

Yeahhhhhh, I'm not with you there bud. VLR is my favorite game of the trilogy, and, like JoelBurger said, I didn't notice any major retcons. I have some issues with ZTD but they have nothing to do with the worldbuilding or continuity - more that it's butt-ugly and I hated some of the new characters with every inch of my being.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:55 pm Reply with quote
NICE!!!
Loved this game so much and after i finished it i had to look up similar games i could try and it got me to pick up all the games from the zero escape and danganronpa series....all of which were great buys btw Razz
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Great to see, though I don't know when I'd get around to playing it.
Loved 999 and picked up the sequels along with the first AI game, but never got around to continuing the first series, so these have just been languishing in my backlog -_-
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I wated to like the first game since I'm a big fan of the 999 games and Punch Line but sadly I didn't enjoy it that much. Most of the game you spend your time clicking on things in the background hoping for something to hapen but you end up just hearing a poorly localized pun or joke 90% of the time. I enjoyed that at first but it got old pretty fast. The other problem I had was that since you solve the puzzles inside dream sequences these usually don't follow any logic at all so to solve them, again, you end up just clicking on things waiting for something to happen.
To be fair, the story got really interesting down the line but by that point I had already played like 3/4 of the game.
Tokimemofan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:57 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Woah! Definitely wasn’t expecting this, especially since it was hard to gauge exactly how well AI Somnium Files sold. I hope that ZeroEscape reference means Uchikoshi is still involved in this project! I’m always excited to see more of the ZeroEscape universe! Very Happy

I don’t think it sold very well, last year made decent money flipping copies of it I found at GameStop. Haven’t played it yet but it looks interesting
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:22 am Reply with quote
Tokimemofan wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:

I don’t think it sold very well, last year made decent money flipping copies of it I found at GameStop. Haven’t played it yet but it looks interesting

If it's getting a sequel with a confirmed English dub I think you can say it sold well enough for that. Saying "I don't think it sold very well" in the face of this announcement isn't the brightest.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:38 am Reply with quote
Fantastic news, though seems some people had figured this out yesterday. Somnium Files was a great and weird game.

Mizuki's weapon of choice seems the same as before (steel pipe) though in an upgraded form. I wonder what happened to Date since Aiba is now with her, and did she voluntarily lose one eye to be able to connect with the AI, or is there some history to be told there. Looking forward to this...
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:27 am Reply with quote
I won't put it past Uchikoshi to write dumb humor but I hope it's more wholesome/snarky and less perverted this time around now that Mizuki is the MC (I doubt it)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1