• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Streams Sailor Moon Crystal on July 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Makes sense that Netflix would get the rights to stream the Sailor Moon Crystal series after recently getting the rights to stream the movies.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this will help all the incidents I keep seeing online where people watch Eternal first just because it's on netflix and get really confused lol
MCAL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Netflix are doing their own translations or Toei's, because I remember the third season's subs being atrocious.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Will this be a worldwide stream or is it just limited to the US? Assuming they get the BD masters I believe this will be the first time the subbed version of the BD masters is streaming in NA as Crunchyroll and Hulu only has the TV broadcast version without the corrected animation errors and Hulu only has the dub for the BD version. I already have all of Crystal on DVD but I’m happy for fans who haven’t got to see it yet especially the dub. I still hope we’ll eventually get a physical release of the Eternal films so I can complete my Sailor Moon collection.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Did Hulu lose the streaming rights?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
It was kind of weird that they got the movies before they were even streaming the actual series.

I wonder if they'll try and get OG!Sailor Moon too?
merr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this was negotiated through Viz, since Eternal seemingly wasn’t.
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Although I am glad that more people that use Netflix can be exposed to Sailor Moon. I am upset with the idea of anyone's first exposure to the series being that travesty that the first two seasons were.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I also hope that the original series will be picked up by Netflix just so people can have the option of either watching that or watching the newer series plus the movies that were recently picked up as well.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:44 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Did Hulu lose the streaming rights?
Hulu renewed their streaming rights to Crystal earlier this year so likely they still have streaming rights but their exclusivity has expired. But even before Crystal streamed on Crunchyroll without issue. Likely Hulu still has exclusive streaming over the 90s anime and I wouldn’t expect it on Netflix anytime soon.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
MCAL wrote:
I wonder if Netflix are doing their own translations or Toei's, because I remember the third season's subs being atrocious.

Viz improved the subs for the Blu-Ray. (They also did it with the first 2 seasons, which had atrocious streaming subs as well) Hopefully that's the version they use.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote:
I wonder if this was negotiated through Viz, since Eternal seemingly wasn’t.

It might be because from reports I've seen, it's not available in the other territories who have Eternal, only in the US & Canada.

1dbad wrote:
MCAL wrote:

Viz improved the subs for the Blu-Ray. (They also did it with the first 2 seasons, which had atrocious streaming subs as well) Hopefully that's the version they use.

After what happened with Jojo season 1 with WB's dubtitles, here's hoping they get the good subs THIS time.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:25 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
1dbad wrote:
MCAL wrote:

After what happened with Jojo season 1 with WB's dubtitles, here's hoping they get the good subs THIS time.

I’ve been watching Part II of Jojo on Netflix and that is not Dubtitles which is part of Season 1.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
I’ve been watching Part II of Jojo on Netflix and that is not Dubtitles which is part of Season 1.

Then they had to have been fixed at some point because they did use dubtitles back when they went up in 2019.
Adv193

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I already bought the official streams for both the subs (ITunes) and dubs (Prime Video) so I am already squared away and so I won't really need this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2