• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ad Blocker Plus causing issues

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me for saying this,but I have a problem here. I read that Ad Blocker Plus will cause the title page of the Summer Anime Guide problems. Why? I've used it for years. Why is it causing problems here and I hope at some point,they're fixed without having to turn it off? I hope you guys can figure it out.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:36 am Reply with quote
I put your post here as it's feedback and not part of the discussions about the new season's shows.

A couple of points.

1. You're a subscriber, so you don't need to block ads at ANN.

2. Blocking ads may be desirable for a site's readers, but they're unhelpful to any site that relies on ad revenue to exist. Don't expect sites to assist you with your ad blocker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Forgive me,Errinundra. I didn't mean to cause you guys any problems. I was just wondering why this was happening,that's all. I wasn't trying to be nasty to you or anything like that. It's there because of a mistake I made a long time ago. A mistake I don't want to repeat. Sorry,if you think I'm being troublesome.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, we noticed this too. We're not going to put any effort into fixing it.

As tempting as it would be to intentionally break the website for adblock users, we've opted not to put any effort into anti-adblock efforts. We're thankful for every reader that visits ANN. But we're also not going to put any efforts into fixing the site for adblock users when adblock breaks it.

As a subscriber, you can turn off all ads on ANN, so I suggest you turn off all the ads (or at least those you don't want) and then white-list ANN.

As for why it's happening, I'm relatively positive that it's because the last season preview guide was sponsored, and someone working on the adblock filters is so offended by ads that they're blocking any images that might even have the words "sponsored by" on them.

-t
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Well,Tempest. My Ad Blocker Plus is there for a reason. I made a mistake a long time ago and it's a mistake I don't want to repeat for the sake of my computer. Thing is,I never meant for it to cause trouble here. I hope that both you and Errinundra can understand that,OK?
Akusta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:44 am Reply with quote
Well this is a common problem and it Looks like it doesn't have negative influence on my browser speed or maybe a malware. Thanks.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:04 am Reply with quote
Well,welcome Akusta. I don't know if you have an ad blocker like me,but I'm glad to hear it's not causing too many problems. I'm perfectly happy with mine and I hope you are,too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1