• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Does Piracy Affect Korean Webtoon Artists?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The fatal flaw in the conception of piracy as part of a capitalist/market system is that piracy is NOT a market behavior.

You're right, but piracy related to market behavior. You mentioned the anime crash. There wasn't enough demand for that product at that price point, and the flood of product spread around the buyers who were willing to pay.

This all really goes back to what Gabe said about Steam. If a product is easily available at a fair price, people will pay for it. Steam proved this for games, and Crunchy proved it for anime. Not all forms of entertainment have caught up, and it sounds like webtoons are suffering from being slow to adapt.

Webtoons aren't just fighting against webtoon pirates for sales. They're also fighting against competing entertainment. If their services are inferior, they're going to lose more buyers to competing services which only leaves them with hoards of non-buyers.

Zalis116 wrote:
A consumer reaction to "this media is too expensive and inconvenient" would be to spend their money on other entertainment that provides a better value. To present piracy as a valid consumer choice means asserting that "consumers" have a right to enjoy those products, and benefit from the systems that fund and produce them, without contributing to those systems -- in other words, that they have a right to free stuff paid for by other people's money, if they don't feel like paying for entertainment themselves.

That first sentence is what pirates do unless you believe pirates pay for literally no entertainment. Pirating some things does not mean pirating everything, and I doubt most adult pirates pay for literally none of their entertainment. A lot probably do pay for some kind of service like Prime, Netflix, Crunchy, etc.

I'm not supporting piracy as a valid consumer choice, and I agree with you that there is no consumer right to enjoy entertainment. However, I feel like some producers are far too concerned about the consumers who aren't paying than the consumers who are. Some of them really need to take an objective look at the content per dollar they're offering combined with usability of their service compared to successful competing entertainment options. Just like I'm not entitled to enjoy the content they produce for free, they're not entitled to get people to over pay for the amount of content they offer on some garbage platform.

Other forms of entertainment have shown that it isn't the pirates keeping the medium down. It is a shitty service, and that goes hand in hand with shitty consumers (read pirates).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4