• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Legends: Arceus Game's Trailer Highlights Diamond, Pearl Clans of Hisui Region

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote
... wth is happening in that thumbnail?

Also, holy crap this game really look like early PS2 game... Comparing it to something like xenosaga 1, it has barely better character model and worse environment.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:40 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Also, holy crap this game really look like early PS2 game... Comparing it to something like xenosaga 1, it has barely better character model and worse environment.

Using a musical instrument of some find. Game looks fine to me.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

All I will say is that you need to go back and remember what ps2 games looked like. Artstyle is not the same as graphics.
Fakerman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Hideus graphics X absent art direction. Cool.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
meiam wrote:

All I will say is that you need to go back and remember what ps2 games looked like. Artstyle is not the same as graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5BBpDXATA0

Looks about the same, better light and shadow in Pokemon but the environment is empty and the art style is just bland/minimal effort.

Pretty sure a decent emulator could throw some AA and maybe some half decent light engine on xenosaga and it would flat out look better. Nevermind comparing it to something like breath of the wild.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Biggest franchise in the world still can't afford voice acting, apparently. I could look past it on the handheld consoles but it just feels awkward and cheap now.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:51 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

"Hey, are you gonna give anybody else a hit on that?"
Dextres

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
After reading the actual article and seeing the trailer.

It looks fun as hell. Too bad I'm not team nintendo switch. I would cop this so fast in a heart beat.

sidenote:

My retirement from videogames may end alot quicker in 2022. there so much to look foward to I can hardly wait.
#Neothegreenland

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:40 am Reply with quote
Fakerman wrote:
Hideus graphics X absent art direction. Cool.

you mean that you don't like our lackluster games that has been the same since the gameboy era and are only driven by nostalgia?

impossiburu

i've been saying this since years, but pokemon will never change its extreme ''if it sold the first time, it will sell again'' game design.

enjoy buying the same game forever with only minor audio-visual tweaks every generation
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:57 am Reply with quote
Have Pokemon fans considered not playing the Pokemon games anymore and just playing something else they actually enjoy? Or even get another hobby that's not video games?
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:05 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Have Pokemon fans considered not playing the Pokemon games anymore and just playing something else they actually enjoy? Or even get another hobby that's not video games?

We do, but we'd also like to be able to enjoy Pokemon again.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I just don’t get this continuous cycle that happens with every single new game where fans initially hype it up, then nitpick it do death, then the game still millions of bucks when it comes out even though the fans supposedly no longer enjoy the game. The only other video game fandom I know that keeps doing this to themselves is Paper Mario fandom. And the predictability of reactions gets old and tiring fast and I just end up muting Pokémon on Twitter when a new game is out.
Wolfgirl90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I just don’t get this continuous cycle that happens with every single new game where fans initially hype it up, then nitpick it do death, then the game still millions of bucks when it comes out even though the fans supposedly no longer enjoy the game.

That just means that the fandom has different types of people in it. Some people play Pokemon games no matter what they are and others will pick them apart relentlessly. Pretty sure the same people hyping it up are the same people that ended up buying the game and why it went on to sell millions of copies.

Personally, I have loved Pokemon throughout its 25 years (and counting) run and have purchased every mainline Pokemon game. However, even as a fan (or maybe especially because I am a fan), I can't help but notice that the newest games have been taking two steps forward, but then taking two steps back in terms of what they have to offer.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Though I also can't help but notice Pokemon fandom suddenly turned on Arceus after they announced it wasn't really an open world game after all.
db999

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I see people asking why the pokemon games are still popular despite not changing at all from the first games and it's pretty much for the same reason people keep coming to buy the next Street Fighter, or Tekken, Mortal Kombat, pretty much any long-running fighting game franchise, or why people keep coming back to Mario games. The gameplay hasn’t changed all that much since the first games in those series either, so why do people keep coming back? Because there are actually are a ton of changes between each of these games and while they might not seem like huge differences to the casual observer, anyone who extensively plays the games will tell you they add up and this can have huge impacts as to how the game plays.

It’s also important to note that because both of these game types have a huge multiplayer component to them, this is where the changes make an even bigger difference. Adding a new Pokemon type like dark or fairy type, changing moves from having physical damage or special damage being depending on the type or depending on whether or not the attack physically hits the opponent makes a difference. It’s the same with fighting games, sure fighting games are more difficult to play and potentially have a higher skill ceiling, but the way that the single-player experience plays compared with how the multiplayer experience plays is huge. A lot of these changes do seem small but they hugely change how the game is balanced. Also, there can be a comfort to keep coming back to games that don’t change all that much as nostalgia and familiarity can for some players be a draw to the game rather than a detractor. Also, Pokemon is targeted at children and is like the Marvel Movies, is also part of a huge multimedia franchise that is essentially too big to fail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2